Has anyone made cucumber salad with Splenda?

Options
I'm wondering if it still tastes good or if it has a strange aftertaste. I want to save calories and sugar, but not if it's going to taste awful as I'll be sharing it with others. I use Splenda for my oatmeal and in some cocktails, but haven't used it in a salad like this. Anyone have any input from experience?

Replies

• HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have. I liked it, but it is personal taste. I am used to it, so I use it in place of sugar all the time. Even in Whiskey Sours.
    You will have to decide for yourself though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    I just make cucumber salad without any sweetener, but with other flavorful ingredients, which seems fine to me. Others have not complained. YMMV.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I never heard of adding sugar to cucumber salad. We make it one of 2 ways - traditional, with vinegar/sour cream/onion/paprika or simply marinated in Italian salad dressing.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Champagne vinigar, to me has a sweeter taste. Could try that.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of putting sugar in a cucumber salad.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of adding sugar to a cucumber salad either. I enjoy cucumber salad on a regular basis and have never added sugar or any sugar substitute.
  • mara9999
    mara9999 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I'm giving it shot, but using half the recommended Splenda packets. I've always had cucumber salad with a vinegar/sugar dressing, so I'm used to it being a bit sweet. I hope this turns out!
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I second the white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar. I've never put sugar in my cucumbers - I usually just use a mild vinegar and some chopped dill. As for Splenda, I always use about half of what is called for.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I recently made it with white vinegar and used a little Splenda. It doesn’t bother me. I suggest you make s small batch to try if you’re concerned others won't like it.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt add sweetener to mine. I make it with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    mara9999 wrote: »
    Thanks, everyone! I'm giving it shot, but using half the recommended Splenda packets. I've always had cucumber salad with a vinegar/sugar dressing, so I'm used to it being a bit sweet. I hope this turns out!

Suggestion - try making it with seasoned rice vinegar, which already has a sweet taste to it. Marukan is a common brand found in grocery stores.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I’ve never had it sweet
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think there are different things called cucumber salad.
    What I think of is this one with onions. It does have sugar and I probably would just use the regular sugar, reduce or leave it out instead of splenda. I dislike things like splenda though.
    http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/cucumber-and-onion-salad-182382?ref=amp
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mara9999 wrote: »

How much sugar are we talking about?
  • mara9999
    mara9999 Posts: 28 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Here is the recipe how I ended up making it for a crowd with some changes:
    6 cucumbers sliced thinly with a mandolin, salted and sweated
    1 red onion sliced thinly with a mandolin
    1.5 cups rice wine vinegar
    3/4 cup water
    Instead of sugar, used 8 packets of Splenda (which is half of what the Splenda conversion chart recommended)
    3 tbps fresh dill.

You make the dressing on the stove to get the Splenda to dissolve and mix in well, just like you would with sugar. I'm REALLY happy with how this turned out. You couldn't tell at all that it was made with Splenda and not sugar. It may have been a little excessive on the amount of dressing, but we used a spaghetti type spoon to serve and it was perfect.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I use splenda, but I've never gotten the aftertaste like some do. You can always substitute part of the sugar based on your taste preferences.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I make a Greek salad with fresh diced cucumber, tomatoes, green pepper, and onions. I use a low-carb/low sugar Italian dressing with a little bit of Splenda in it to sweeten it. Makes a great salad. You can make a whole bowl of it and eat on it for 2 to 3 days. My favorite summertime salad.