Sorry for the extremely Noob questions....

Hey All! This morning, I decided that I have had enough with being unhealthy, eating trash, and justifying walking from my car to my desk at work as a workout. I suck at diets and all the names and what do/not do, etc. Lemme lay it out there; I am 429 pounds with a goal of 194 (because who doesn't like random numbers)? I have a couple of questions:

How should I set my macros, rather what should I am for as far as percentages for the fats/protiens/sugars, all that jazz?

How often should I be eating? I hear every 2 hours, make breakfast the biggest, make dinner the biggest, don't eat after a certain time. Needless to say, I am overwhelmed and was always too embarrassed to ask, which is part of the reason for previous failures.

Replies

• patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    after entering your stats here in MFP, start with keeping a diary of the foods you eat for a week or two, look over the list, then tweak your food choices to meet the goals set for you. make small changes and stick with them for a week or two before changing more. it is easier to adapt to small changes and stick with them. mostly it is how much you eat not what kind of food you eat that matters.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    sdanemrtn wrote: »
    Hey All! This morning, I decided that I have had enough with being unhealthy, eating trash, and justifying walking from my car to my desk at work as a workout. I suck at diets and all the names and what do/not do, etc. Lemme lay it out there; I am 429 pounds with a goal of 194 (because who doesn't like random numbers)? I have a couple of questions:

How should I set my macros, rather what should I am for as far as percentages for the fats/protiens/sugars, all that jazz?

How often should I be eating? I hear every 2 hours, make breakfast the biggest, make dinner the biggest, don't eat after a certain time. Needless to say, I am overwhelmed and was always too embarrassed to ask, which is part of the reason for previous failures.

you can go by what MFP gives you and go from there and then tweak your macros to your liking as time goes on..if fat satiates you, make that a bit higher, if its protein/carbs make one of those higher. play around with the numbers and see what happens.

if you dont have a medical issue where you need to watch sugar you dont need to track it. I track my macros(I dont track sugar) and fiber as well as saturated fat(I have a health issue so I need to watch all fats). percentages are going to depends on the person and what macro satiates them the most. for some it may be they are training and need a higher percentage of something. for me my fat macro has to be low due to that health issue I have.

as for seeing a doctor many of them dont get enough training in dietary needs. you can see a RD(registered dietitian) if you want but theres really no need to unless you have health issues and need help eating a certain way.

you can eat whatever times you want as long as you stick to your calorie goal. if you feel better not eating breakfast you can skip it and eat later on,if you feel better eating breakfast then eat it. its all based on preference and its not going to matter in the long run when it comes to weight loss all that matters is the calorie deficit and making sure you get enough calories and enough protein to prevent lean mass/muscle loss that can come with weight loss. There is no one size fits all when it comes to weight loss except for a calorie deficit. how often you eat,when you eat,what you eat,etc are all up to you and what your preference is.
  • sdanemrtn
    sdanemrtn Posts: 187 Member
    Thanks everyone!! Some awesome pieces of info. Didn't even think about consulting a dietitian. Oy. Appreciate all the advice.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2018
    Thanks everyone!! Some awesome pieces of info. Didn't even think about consulting a dietitian. Oy. Appreciate all the advice.

There is a lot of information out there, so I can understand why you would feel overwhelmed by it all. A registered dietician is a good idea. As for setting your macros, the link AnvilHead posted is great. Keep an eye on how you are feeling and be open to changing it up. If you are feeling hungry, play around with those numbers. Some people find protein more filling, others find fat more filling, others will use a larger volume of lower calorie vegetables to keep full. There are many individual factors.

There is a lot of great information in the sticky posts at the top of each forum. Read a lot, and forget anything you read in magazines, or on websites that are trying to sell you something. There is so much hogwash out there, and it's hard to sift through it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

There is a lot of information out there, so I can understand why you would feel overwhelmed by it all. A registered dietician is a good idea. As for setting your macros, the link Anvil_Head posted is great. Keep an eye on how you are feeling and be open to changing it up. If you are feeling hungry, play around with those numbers. Some people find protein more filling, others find fat more filling, others will use a larger volume of lower calorie vegetables to keep full. There are many individual factors.

There is a lot of great information in the sticky posts at the top of each forum. Read a lot, and forget anything you read in magazines, or on websites that are trying to sell you something. There is so much hogwash out there, and it's hard to sift through it.

I too said he could change it up over time to see what macro settings work for him . great minds and all :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

There is a lot of information out there, so I can understand why you would feel overwhelmed by it all. A registered dietician is a good idea. As for setting your macros, the link Anvil_Head posted is great. Keep an eye on how you are feeling and be open to changing it up. If you are feeling hungry, play around with those numbers. Some people find protein more filling, others find fat more filling, others will use a larger volume of lower calorie vegetables to keep full. There are many individual factors.

I too said he could change it up over time to see what macro settings work for him . great minds and all :)

:laugh:
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Keep it simple starting out. Buy a food scale and log all of your food. Eat the things you like within your calorie budget and make small, sustainable changes to support your long-term goal. Good luck and keep logging in and sharing / asking questions.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    When I started out here I just gave MFP my information and got a calorie goal. I started logging and sticking to that. Then I started trying to get the default amount of protein recommended because I noticed I was often low in that area.
    I did zero math myself or stressing about figuring out different macro settings or paying a dietician.
    I did not alter my meal timing or eat a special diet. That does not matter if you are sticking to your calorie goal.

I'd say you can just start with what MFP recommends. If you find in a couple of montha that it is not working so well for you then you could tweak it.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    It's really a personal choice, you need to make it work for you and your lifestyle.
    I started with small changes like drinking more water and just logging and weighing everything, from there I could see a pattern for when I wanted to eat and I set myself a calorie allowance based around that. One thing I don't do though restrict anything, if I fancy it I have it but build it in.
    Good luck and welcome to the MFP family.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Don't be embarrassed about asking this stuff. That is what his place is for. I am happy to hear you are bettering yourself. You can do this. Best of luck.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    I recommend seeing a RD. They can work with you based on your preferences. Start weighing and logging your food. They will also help you with portion control.