Soda and teeth

Options
glassyo
glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
Soooooooo I started drinking diet soda again and the only thing I'm concerned about is its effect on tooth enamel. My teeth aren't really the best which is why I'm asking.

How much do you think you'd have to drink for there to cause problems?

Right now I'm basically just drinking a large cup I pick up from a gas station or 7-11 on my morning weekend walks but I could kind of use the caffeine hit more often so.... :)

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I just rinse with water after and i havent had any problems.
  • KaleiAlanaSmith
    KaleiAlanaSmith Posts: 133 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My enamel was clearly affected from drinking soda. I've been drinking it a couple of times a week for a few years because it is obviously my drink of choice over water. After noticing my enamel disappearing, I am now completely trying to cut it out of my diet for the sake of my teeth. That's just my two cents. I'll never be able to get that enamel back, so I only have a soda about once or twice a week now!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Lots of acidic stuff, including vinegar, lemon, tomato, and soda can harm your enamel if it sits on your teeth. I try not to "nurse" a soda over a long period of time, if I do I occasionally swish a sip of plain water around, and when I'm done with the soda I swish another few sips of water or chew some sugar-free gum. You also don't want to brush your teeth immediately after eating or drinking acidic foods as your enamel may be a little soft and immediately brushing could actually make it worse. Beyond that, obviously, you want to practice good oral hygiene and it couldn't hurt to use one of those "strengthening" mouth rinses to be safe.

I don't think it's "how much" but "how long is it on my teeth". Disclaimer: Not a dentist!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    https://app1.unmc.edu/PublicAffairs/TodaySite/sitefiles/today_full.cfm?match=11342
    It seems that limiting the amount you have is a pretty good idea. Maybe your dentist can give you a better idea how much would be a problem for your particular teeth condition.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I asked my dentist about this a year ago. Diet soda is fine if you drink it with a meal. The additional generated saliva from digesting a meal helps in negating some of the diet soda's effects.

But she said to drink it all with the meal. Don't be the person that sips on a bit every little while. That continuous sipping does the most damage because it gives your teeth the most exposure to soda.

And its not just soda. Any drink that isn't water will do some damage. Best to stick to water if you can. Save the diet soda for special sit down dinner outings.
  • glassyo
    Options
    I've never heard that about drinking it with a meal.

I've heard the swishing thing and also drinking it through a straw so it has less chance of hitting the front of your teeth.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Try sparkling water / flavored seltzer with no sweeteners.
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »

I don't see how that would help because carbonated water has a pH of between 3 and 4; i.e. it has about the same acidity as an orange. It's the acidity of diet soda that can cause enamel to erode and therefore drinking carbonated water is pretty much exactly the same as drinking a diet soda.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »

Actually, carbonation creates carbonic acid in a beverage, making it slightly acidic on it's own. Not sure if it's as bad as a legit soda. And if it's fruit flavored, there is most likely citric acid in it as well.
  • glassyo
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Plus I'm not drinking it for the carbonated part.

Otherwise I would stick with just plain water anyway.

Also a very quick google search says sweeteners don't have the same effect on enamel as sugar does (which also has nothing to do with why I've always had diet instead of regular).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    :o Oh no, I’m one of those people who sip on a diet Dr Pepper all afternoon
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Well, I destroyed my teeth by my mid 20s because of drinking a couple sodas per day (well and not having adequate dental care in my teens and early 20s). Just be careful. Make sure you're brushing and flossing well and keeping up with dental checkups.