How long did it take to break your plateau?

Options
Broke my plateau on the 16th day of being on the same weight. Share your experience with your longest weight loss plateau you've broken!

Replies

• peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Mine was 4 weeks. I went up a bit during that time but only around 1 lb. I just kept logging food, counting my steps and exercising. It's been a steady loss since then.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I never experienced one
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    When cutting: Eat less or move more
    When bulking: eat more or move less
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I grew anxious about plateaus when I wasn’t eating enough. My thinking was: “All that suffering, those damn scales had better reward me with a lower weight, each and every week”. I eventually increased my calories and my frustration with a “stuck scale” ended.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My "plateaus" (which aren't really) are pretty much always caused by increasing my exercise.. either lifting volume or cardio intensity. Typically takes 2-3 weeks to re-establish my baseline and start a downward trend again. So it's about patience for me. If it goes on longer than a month.. then I start to think about adjusting my intake.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    My "plateaus" (which aren't really) are pretty much always caused by increasing my exercise.. either lifting volume or cardio intensity. Typically takes 2-3 weeks to re-establish my baseline and start a downward trend again. So it's about patience for me. If it goes on longer than a month.. then I start to think about adjusting my intake.

Every one of my "plateaus" came when I started getting sloppy with my food tracking, so I knew exactly what the cause was. Tighten it up, break the food scale back out for a while, and the scale started moving again.

Yea I don't really use one of those :D
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 pounds without plateaus. I used the food scale at every opportunity and I purposefully guessed high on portion size if I couldn't (like getting a serving I was sure was over a half cup but under a cup and logging it as a cup, for example). If you are in a calorie deficit, you lose weight. I never went two weeks without a drop until toward the end with a very small deficit.