Flavored Water?

Hello Everyone!

I have recently been on a carbonated water kick (flavored, if available). This has led me to purchase the "zero calorie, sparkling water" drinks at the grocery store. Here's my question: Can I count these as part of my allotted water intake?

I've noticed some have ingredients such as: carbonated water and "natural flavors" which I can notice tastes more like actual water, with just a hint of some flavor. However, I forgot to check the ingredient list pre-purchase and got stuck with this: carbonated water, citric acid, natural flavor, potassium citrate, sucralose, and a couple others.

Do you guys drink these? I know how important it is to drink LOTS of water everyday and I'm wondering if anyone has decided these count/don't count and why???

Thanks!
Brook

Replies

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,543 Member
    I put crystal light in my water.....if it's carbonated, I wouldn't count it as water....I think the flavoring is okay, but the carbonation I think isn't....good question.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Sucralose is sugar. I wouldn't drink those. You might as well drink pop if you do. But the other stuff you usually buy sounds good so drink up!
  • I do, I also drink water with Mio. I have a very hard time drinking plain water so any little flavor I can add to it helps me. I just don't count any of the other "sport" drinks.
  • Tiffani3089
    Tiffani3089 Posts: 44 Member
    Use MiO Water Enhancers! The Berry Pom and the Peach Tea are really good. :) Zero Calorie --
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    I think as long as these waters do not have sodium or have very little (like 5 mgs), I would count them towards my water intake.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    I have been putting a little lemon juice and water in a water bottle and freezing it. When I get to work I add water and Truvia. The combo of frozen and lemon, sweetened by Truvia (for us diabetics) works for me. I also add pieces of peeled ginger, or use fresh squeezed orange juice. Yumm!!!!
  • adrienne0906
    adrienne0906 Posts: 43 Member
    usually, the stuff at the grocery store is essentially pop. Sucralose is an artificial sweetener with no calories, much like the stuff found in diet pop. Being a diet coke addict, I would rather just have a diet coke than one of these.

However, these are different from flavored water beverages, like Fruit2O. Fruit2O and things like it are not carbonated, and are sometimes more naturally sweetened. The lack of carbonation is a good thing, as it will cut down on the acidic properties and also the bloating carbonation gives you.

Basically, when in doubt, the fewer ingredients it has on the list, the better it is for you.
  • brooksingletary
    brooksingletary Posts: 34 Member
    Thank you all so much! I think I will def be trying this Mio!

From what I have read, I think carbonated water does in fact count. But, I am hesitant to count these because of the sucralose. Good thing I only bought 2! I think my lesson here is to read all labels before the purchase. I think I was just so excited about all the choices, I forgot to look. Oh well.

Thanks again!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    This is one of the hottest topics on these boards, but the science says you need approx. 6 - 8 cups (8 oz glasses) of water daily, and that the water may come from food or non-alcoholic beverages. Tea and coffee count too and will not dehydrate you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5281046.stm
  • Some of those zero-calorie flavored waters are more like diet soda without the coloring. If a carbonated bevarages is what you want, I would recommend flavored seltzer water, its just water, natural flavor, and CO2, and I would think that it counts as drinking water, since it is so basic. The flavor may take some getting used to, I couldn't stand the stuff, but now its my go to drink. I drink plain water throughout the day, but when I eat and am lounging at night, I grab a seltzer. A lot of times, I use plain and add a splash of my favorite juice to add some flavor.
  • Hey, weird i'm drinking one of those waters right now, and its zero anything in it,
    there actually good for you, i drink at least 3 a day, i get mine from CVS its called Sparkling water,
    its Caffeine, calorie, and sodium free! I as well cannot drink plain, water, its just simply too plain for me.