Am I making decent progress?

Options
So I've been on and off my diet since January, including a month holiday abroad in March, three huge weddings and I've lost 12lbs. Started off at 159lbs now I'm 147lbs. Goal weight is 129lbs. Is this too slow or am I right on track? Obviously if I didn't have all those obstacles I'm sure I would have made more progress but I also have PCOS. I've been 100% consistent with logging since April which is good. I'm gonna have to stay on my deficit for 8 more months till I reach my goal weight. Seems so far away...

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your weightloss has been in accordance with your calorie deficit. I would try to avoid subjective judgements and instead look at the data - is your loss as expected? Does input match output? - and definitely avoid "if only"s. Would you rather live a life without holidays and celebrations?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Yeah I guess it's more of a mental thing. It's hard for me to be a on a deficit for so long :(
    But I guess it's better to be slow then binge later on.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    All progress is decent.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Who gets to say what is too slow? Maybe you'd be happier cycling calories, with a slightly deeper deficit for a few weeks followed by some time eating at maintenance to refresh yourself mentally, if the thought of going on so long is discouraging you. You're within 20 pounds of goal, though, so it's going to be slow.

As far as I'm concerned, any month I lose weight (even if it's just a pound) was successful in inching me closer to my goal. And realize also that how you get to eat at maintenance isn't going to be all that different from how you've eaten to lose 12 pounds in 8 months. A few calories a day, really.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    There is no "too slow", with perhaps the exception of morbidly obese people who need to lose quickly under close medical supervision for health reasons.

You're doing fine.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Look on the bright side - you are losing, not gaining. The trick you could learn is how to go about the fun things in life and not throw the diet out the window. Even if you don't meet your target every day, maybe on the days between you could really cut back. One trick I find helpful when confronted with foods that tempt me is to tell myself that it is not my last meal and there will be other times when I can eat it. I know it sounds silly, but it works for me.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'm out of edit time, but make that 12 pounds in 7 months. August is far too young to count :tongue:
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Progress is progress
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I track my weight on Trend weight. I have been kinda on & off for a long time..similar..vacation, grandkids here, etc. I only have about 10 pounds to my goal (which really isn't even that low) & Trend Weight tells me at the rate I am going, it will take me until 2020!! Now that is slow!! :D
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    I track my weight on Trend weight. I have been kinda on & off for a long time..similar..vacation, grandkids here, etc. I only have about 10 pounds to my goal (which really isn't even that low) & Trend Weight tells me at the rate I am going, it will take me until 2020!! Now that is slow!! :D

Wow you’re super patient! Kudos to you :)
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I'm out of edit time, but make that 12 pounds in 7 months. August is far too young to count :tongue:

Yeah never thought of it like that
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement guys!
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    So I've been on and off my diet since January, including a month holiday abroad in March, three huge weddings and I've lost 12lbs. Started off at 159lbs now I'm 147lbs. Goal weight is 129lbs. Is this too slow or am I right on track? Obviously if I didn't have all those obstacles I'm sure I would have made more progress but I also have PCOS. I've been 100% consistent with logging since April which is good. I'm gonna have to stay on my deficit for 8 more months till I reach my goal weight. Seems so far away...

You've lost 12 pounds. That's a win. Remember you did not gain your weight quickly, so losing quickly is irrelevant. What is relevant is you are heading in the right direction. Keep on keeping on.