Can I still walk with shin splints?

Options
So I am fairly new to the whole “exercise consistently” thing. I’ve never been able to stick with plans in the past, usually because I go too hard, too fast, and end up hating it and getting burnt out quickly. I’ve tried to take a much softer approach this time. I’ve been easing myself into the C25K program, running 2-3 days a week, with 2 or 3 strength training workouts a week. With both types of workouts, I’ve been making sure to not push myself too hard. I’ve been doing just enough to feel challenged, but not overwhelmed. For the most part, I have felt incredible!!!! I am actually loving exercise (well, at least the running part) for the first time in my life. Very exciting!!!

This week I decided to move to week 4 in C25K. (I’ve been taking my time with it, allowing extra days when I felt that I wasn’t ready for the next level/week). On my second day of running, I noticed that I was getting some mild pain in my shins. I didn’t think much of it, as this week was a bigger jump in running time compared to the other weeks’ transitions. But then the pain came off and on throughout the day, and is still here today. It’s not bad at all, but after reading up on shin splints, I got a little scared that I may have pushed myself too far, and that I might have a hard time progressing while they heal. I don’t want to injure myself, but I also don’t want to lose momentum. I was doing sooo well!

I guess my first question is how long should I wait until I go out and run again? And when I do, should I run the exact same routine as the last time, or should I scale it back and do an easier run (week 3 of the program)?

In the meantime, is it ok to go on walks, especially if it’s not too intense? I don’t want to lose any progress that I have made in my fitness endurance. The idea of sitting around for a few days is very discouraging.

P.s. I don’t have a bike or access to a pool. I know that those would be nice, low impact things to replace my running, but they simply aren’t an option for me right now.

And advice/experience would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Take a couple of days off and ice your shins. If you haven’t already done it, get fit for your runners. I used to get shin splints from just over walking in the wrong shoes. I ended up getting orthotics for a separate issue with my left foot and splurged on an athletic pair that I can put in my runners. I just finished week 1of C25K and have had no problems so far. I think the proper fit of my shoes plus the orthotics is helping.
  • LittleRedBird18
    LittleRedBird18 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if the shoes were part of the problem. They are just a pair of cross trainers that I bought awhile back for walking. This may sound dumb, but where/how does one get fitted for running shoes? I am on a VERY tight budget, so I need to get something that is affordable. But I do want to make a solid investment. Any advice on how to get fitted for affordable shoes would be greatly appreciated.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for running shoes at a running store (that is where you get fitted - tell them that you are on a budget), ice your shins, and stretch your calves. My physical therapist recommended the ProStretch to me and it has been very useful, though if you can easily feel a stretch without it then not using then saving $32 isn't a bad thing.

I can't imagine why walking would be an issue, especially given that you do need to walk in general. When I ended up with shin splints no one was particularly worried, but I was also being seen once a week by medical professionals so it would have been easy to intervene if things took a turn for the worse. I did end up taking about three weeks off from running to wind down for and then recover from my century, though that didn't really affect things. I suspect what did was stretching, ice as needed, and my body getting used to the impact. After four weeks back and doing a C25K like program (though it started at 5 min running intervals and now my longest continuous run has been 1.5 miles) my shin splints are probably a 1 on a scale of 10. They are barely noticeable.
  • LittleRedBird18
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Get fitted for running shoes at a running store (that is where you get fitted - tell them that you are on a budget), ice your shins, and stretch your calves. My physical therapist recommended the ProStretch to me and it has been very useful, though if you can easily feel a stretch without it then not using then saving $32 isn't a bad thing.

I can't imagine why walking would be an issue, especially given that you do need to walk in general. When I ended up with shin splints no one was particularly worried, but I was also being seen once a week by medical professionals so it would have been easy to intervene if things took a turn for the worse. I did end up taking about three weeks off from running to wind down for and then recover from my century, though that didn't really affect things. I suspect what did was stretching, ice as needed, and my body getting used to the impact. After four weeks back and doing a C25K like program (though it started at 5 min running intervals and now my longest continuous run has been 1.5 miles) my shin splints are probably a 1 on a scale of 10. They are barely noticeable.

• LittleRedBird18
    Options
    Thanks! I will maybe go get fitted for some shoes tomorrow. I’ll take it easy for a few days and just try to get a decent amount of steps in. Hopefully I can get back to it soon.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Overstriding can contribute to shin splints, so make sure to watch for that as well.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    My experience with shin splints was when my shoes were worn out (they still looked good) and I needed to get new ones. I made it a point to go to a running store, that got me in the right shoes and I never had them again.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Try out walks, and ease back into the running after a rest which depends on your severity perhaps a week. Buying extra cushion supportive foot inserts fory running shoes has helped me alot!

Also do shin strengthening exercises! Reverse heel lifts work wonders for my shins.

I know sitting around isn't ideal but there is no pushing through and if you do you end up like me one soccer season where I was in so much pain I cried when walking... the whole weekend i spent primarily on the couch. It went from bothering me somewhat during running to not being able to walk. Obviously that was a bad case, but if you are noticing them now, something needs to be fixed despite momentum and progress.

I learned my lesson the hard way and always will advise shin splints people to be more cautious so no one will end up like I was.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI
    In my experience, almost every single runner gets shin splints. It's usually when they are a new runner. And, most importantly, they usually only get them once or twice in their running career, if they keep running regularly.
    I have never heard of them becoming permanent or chronic or anything like that. So, you needn't worry.
    Cut back your miles while they are painful. Ice them if it brings some relief. They'll get better.