Cant stop eating and i work with food 😥

Options
Im a food server for my job. And working with food im hungry 247 ill litteraly eat everything until im sick. I feel like im starving. My biggest thing is desserts . we get alot of left over food. I tried everything. When im not working im fined with my diet. Its hard to work with food please help me before i gain more weight. 😥😭💔 i want to be successful in my diet

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Free food isn't necessarily good food. It was probably prepared hours before and not likely in prime serving conditions. Meh.

Is it even that good? Perhaps select one thing that you think would be good and eat that. If you've been working and sampling for a while you'll probably have a good idea of what is actually decent.

Or consider alternatives - would your work be open to packing leftovers for the homeless? Perhaps there's a soup kitchen nearby who could distribute the meals to those in need.

If it needs to be trashed, trash it straight away. If you can't keep you hands off the leftovers, and you want to avoid them, ask to be given a different task that takes you away from the food.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    All I can say is prepare your meals + prelog your meals on mfp in advance so that you nibble on something when you're on break so that you don't get the urge of eating the leftover food. That's what I do at work, it prevents me from getting the food at my work and the snacks I eat help me stay full. Best of all, it fits with my macros. Beyond that, you need to be disciplined, there's no way around it.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    When I was a server I would pack a lunchbox with my own food and snacks. I made work food off limits.

This. Just prepare and take your own meals and feel confident in the fact that you planned ahead and over time you will begin to see the results from doing that.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I am going to suggest you only eat during your planned break at a time you can be seated. Then choose what you really want in portion sizes that fit your goals
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Packing and prelogging can help you. A lot. But first, do you log everything? Maybe start there. Just focus on logging EVERYTHING. It's a habit that needs to be built and it's a habit that, anytime you have an issue with weight loss or building muscle or food in general, gives you a place to start.

This has honestly been the most helpful to me. Logging and being very honest with yourself. Also, not assigning foods a label of good or bad. You should never feel bad about logging something. You may be tough on yourself for choosing to eat something that doesn't help you get to your goals or doesn't taste the way you want, but that food isn't inherently bad. Give yourself 3 minutes to log that food, feel bad, get tough with yourself, and then move on. You aren't a bad person, you just got distracted by something sparkly. It happens to everyone.

Logging keeps me accountable for what I ate, and on a more basic level, logging helps me because I'm lazy. Not really (except I've got an inner lazy girl), but I love finding efficient way to do things. There are many times where a lot of us are faced with eating a bunch of smaller things (samples at Costco or Sam's, lick off your finger while cooking, the bite off of your kids plate, etc.). Quite frankly, I'm too lazy to look up each of those things, find the correct entry, figure out how to measure how much I ate, and then log it. It's inefficient and I would rather just not have those things than have to do all that. I would rather log three full meals and one snack because, odds are, that's going to be fewer things overall to log. It's also going to be easier because there are so many things you eat routinely that you look up once, and you have it for every time you eat it (at least on the app, when you search for a food, if you've previously logged it, it comes up in the list).

It can be difficult to get to the point where you don't reach for all the food at work. I would suggest not making it harder on yourself. Trying to create to many new habits at one time can lead you to failure because it's too much all at once. Start small, like logging everything regardless of what it is, and pack a lunch. You don't necessarily have to pick your packed food, but it's there for you if you want it. Then, once you feel like that is becoming second nature, start choosing your packed food over the food at work at least half the time and work up to the point where you are choosing packed stuff most of the time. You can still treat yourself, but it should be on your terms.
  • samasam799
    samasam799 Posts: 23 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Oh wow so many answers thank you all for it. I never thought that. I smell and serve and prepare foods i work at a assisted living and usually left over food and its stays up 3 days or its is in the trash its a waste ya i would give it to the homeless but we cant bring work food outside or fired . But i think i will do that bring my own food and keep me busy i never had any issues with food until i work in the kichen. Thank you all for the support ❤i need to step up
  • gothicbees
    gothicbees Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You need to take a hard look at your mental state and identify where you're restricting, physically/mentally/emotionally. Any kind of overeating is your body's reaction to being restricted. If desserts are the trigger, try incorporating a dessert into every day, not cutting out all desserts. Deprivation will always lead to compensatory behavior. I recommend checking out Intuitive Eating and Health at Every Size.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    First, why are you on a diet? Diets are only temporary. Change how you live IMHO. So called temptation is going to be everywhere. We live in a society where high calorie, hyperpalitable foods are cheap and easy to get. Do not deprive yourself. Enjoy small indulgeses. I do not call them treats, to me it sounds like a reward system. I will honestly say, that I really lnow know nothing. The more I learn, the more realize that. I will leave with a saying that i am coming to view as true. I work in a place where security is high. They search our food bags on the way in. We get a heavy load of new security all the time. When they search my bag and find my veggies, lean pro, and complex carbs in plastic containers they ask me, " on a diet? " I used to explain my weight loss story. I got tired of that. Now I tell them, " yes. It almost feels permanent."
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    samasam799 wrote: »
    Oh wow so many answers thank you all for it. I never thought that. I smell and serve and prepare foods i work at a assisted living and usually left over food and its stays up 3 days or its is in the trash its a waste ya i would give it to the homeless but we cant bring work food outside or fired . But i think i will do that bring my own food and keep me busy i never had any issues with food until i work in the kichen. Thank you all for the support ❤i need to step up

If you prepare the food you can just weigh and log it when you eat it?

Just cut out the constant picking