Hypothyroidism

Options
Does anyone on here have hypothyroid? I'd love to hear how it's controlled and if anyone has healed their thyroid naturally? Does it make weight loss harder? Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hashimotos here, also on levo. I haven't noticed any affect on my weight, either before treatment or now that I've been on the meds for a decade and am actively trying to lose weight.

Get tested regularly to make sure your levels are in the right place
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hapoo2211 wrote: »
    Does anyone on here have hypothyroid? I'd love to hear how it's controlled and if anyone has healed their thyroid naturally? Does it make weight loss harder? Any advice would be appreciated!

I was diagnosed hypothyroid in late March and started taking levothyroxine daily. When my tsh levels were checked in early July they were fine. It is one small inexpensive pill and seems to be doing the job for me.

Since starting the medication I have had insomnia which makes it difficult to exercise and eat properly. Working on dealing with it. Before being treated I was exhausted no matter how much I slept. Now if I can get enough sleep I do feel normal
    I have been pretty much maintaining my weight not losing.
    People say treated hypothyroid does not matter for weight loss.
    My doctor told me my thyroid would not heal naturally or otherwise and this was for life.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hashimotos hypothyroid here since I was 10 years old, now I'm 24. I've controlled it with Synthroid and Cytomel. Never been over weight and have never had trouble losing while on my medicine. You cannot and shouldn't try to treat it "naturally", its very important you get with an endocrinologist to monitor your bloodwork periodically. I feel amazing!!! Tons of energy every day and happy to be alive 😊

As a side note if you aren't doing well on Levo try the name brand synthroid, me and many others can't tolerate the generic.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,093 Member
    Options
    Yes hypo over here.
    My thyroid has been out of whack for 4 years due to consecutive pregnancies.
    I have now stopped having babies (hurrah) and it's going to normal levels again, well normal for me. (100mcg)
    I don't get it checked as regularly as I should.

I was told there was something that could help naturally but put it down to BS and was not going to stop my medication for it. I like in the UK and as we have the NHS I have a "medical exemption," card which means I'll never pay for my prescription because its a lifelong thing.

I've never really seen the affect on my weight, u less I haven't been taking it, then everything slows down.
  • jumper120
    jumper120 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was hyperthyroid then had it removed 23 years ago. Now hypothyroid and controlled with levoxyl. I can’t blame my thyroid for my weight as I’ve been thin since then and now at the heaviest I’ve ever been from stress eating.
  • Hapoo2211
    Hapoo2211 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone<3
  • Valeri_Rose
    Valeri_Rose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi all I had my Thyroid removed just about 2 years ago. Haven’t felt up to par these past few days. I’m on Synthroid 125 of course I’m on it the rest of my life. Well I haven’t been taking it the way I should. I been missing it here and there. Plus I haven’t been taking it on an empty stomach like I should. I’m supposed to take it with ONLY a glass of water 30-45 minutes before eating and of course I haven’t been doing that either lately. Well my TSH levels are supposed to be setting at 4 or below and I’m at 16. My body is literally shutting down on me and I’m TRYING to bounce back and it’s one of my biggest challenges yet. I went into ER cause of my blood pressure it was 170/103 when I got there. That there is waaaay high for me considering mine is normally 90/60 I’m surprised they even released me with my BP high and my levels. But I’ve done this to myself I know and stupid me knew better. But I’m so busy taking care of other people and putting others first I forget about myself. But that’s just me and I know I WILL bounce back. I go to the doctors on Monday and I hoe he doesn’t change my meds cause I know I done this and since I have set me a reminder. Plus been checking my BP and the bottom number still round 90 which is high so trying to keep an eye on that too.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,481 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Hapoo2211 wrote: »

I was diagnosed hypothyroid in late March and started taking levothyroxine daily. When my tsh levels were checked in early July they were fine. It is one small inexpensive pill and seems to be doing the job for me.

Since starting the medication I have had insomnia which makes it difficult to exercise and eat properly. Working on dealing with it. Before being treated I was exhausted no matter how much I slept. Now if I can get enough sleep I do feel normal
    I have been pretty much maintaining my weight not losing.
    People say treated hypothyroid does not matter for weight loss.
    My doctor told me my thyroid would not heal naturally or otherwise and this was for life.

Keep in mind that in the early phases of hashimoto TSH levels constantly fluctuate. I was not diagnosed for years because my levels would be too high at one point, but normal again at the next test. My GP explained to me that tiny bits of thyroid tissue basically die and excrete the last bit of hormone stored in them. So they get released and levels improve temporarily.

But no, you can't heal and underactive thyroid. It basically produces too little of a hormone every part of your body needs. By taking 'medication' you're effectively replacing what your body can't do naturally anymore.
  • leacunningham
    leacunningham Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, had cancer at 32, not related to Thyroid but the intense radiotherapy I had in the upper chest area nuked my thyroid..( and lungs but not as badly)been on levo ever since, now 48...I find adding T3 helped as I suffer with fatigue due to the respiratory disease all the cancer treatment left me with...T3 is a v controversial treatment here in the UK and has been withdrawn by the NHS. I love life, keep as active as I can, love the outdoors and appreciate every day. I have lost 3 stone over last 2 years, maybe Hypothyroidism can make weight loss a little slower, in my case it does, but slow is much better than crash dieting anyway. Would like accountability pals who maybe understand we all have tough days but it's the overall journey that is most important. Personally, I am a lifelong vegetarian so would be great to connect with other non meat eaters.