Need Vegetarian Protein Advice

Options
jena003
jena003 Posts: 27 Member
I'm new to MFP. I have been a vegetarian for 41 years. Until now I did not realize how low my protein levels were (less than half each day). I do not eat fish, eggs, tofu, yogurt. Can someone please tell me how to get these levels up?
I'm 57 and have been a vegetarian since age 16. All these years I have had low protein intake. Some days I have felt so sluggish and didn't understand why.
On the bright side. I have lost 9.2 pounds since joining MFP

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Less than half, of what? You could also be low on iron and other nutrients. For more protein, get in more milk, cheese, beans, grains.
  • jena003
    Options
    Thank you for responding. My protein levels are extremely low according to the daily MFP nutrition guide. Thank you for your helpful advice.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/article/289961/top-vegetarian-protein-sources/

If you struggle to get it through normal diet, you might also consider supplementing with a protein shake or bar, which will generally have about 20g per serving.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations on your 9.2 pounds lost! I've been either vegetarian or pescatarian for the last 26 years. You mentioned no yogurt - because you don't like it or because you do not eat dairy? Also, even though it's processed food and some try to avoid it, I'm really liking the Beyond Meat products because they are soy free and made of pea protein. You can send me a message if you wanna talk about other options or recipes!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Other high protein plant foods are seitan, tempeh, and beans.
  • jena003
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I've never heard of some of the foods suggested. I will be checking them out.
  • leacunningham
    leacunningham Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Jena003, I'm a lifelong vegetarian at 48, I have been vegan for long periods of this time too, but as I am a cancer survivor I have vitamin & mineral absorption problems due to health issues & meds from that, so now eat free range eggs, 'humane' milk/cheese/yogurt from a free living , non industrial ,no kill Hindu dairy here in the UK...but have plant milk etc if can't get supplies from there. I am aware my protein levels have historically been low , hence now having eggs etc, but I have now also discovered Seitan...highest protein, low fat etc food, excellent for vegetarians. Please look it up.
    Congratulations on your progress, would be good to be accountability & support pals ...where are you based? Sending positive wishes x