Went mad on vacation

Options
So just back from a few days vacation. I am ashamed to say I ate all the puddings, ate all the burgers and fries, cleared out the buffet and at the time not a single *kitten* was given. Different story now though. I feel really guilty lol. I am too scared to even go near the scales and I don't think I will for a couple of weeks.

Are you like this on vacation or is it just me?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    When I'm on holidays, I treat myself to cultural delicacies or things renowned for being amazing. I pass on standard stuff I can get any day at home (unless it falls under the "renowned for being amazing" heading) and go for more calorie friendly options when there is nothing worth treating myself to.

I also make sure to walk a lot - I rarely use public transport or taxis in foreign locations unless absolutely necessary.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    When I'm on holidays, I treat myself to cultural delicacies or things renowned for being amazing. I pass on standard stuff I can get any day at home (unless it falls under the "renowned for being amazing" heading) and go for more calorie friendly options when there is nothing worth treating myself to.

I also make sure to walk a lot - I rarely use public transport or taxis in foreign locations unless absolutely necessary.

Well I did do plenty of walking 15000+ steps daily on fitbit so that's something I suppose
  • firdragon18
    firdragon18 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

dave_in_ni wrote: »
    So just back from a few days vacation. I am ashamed to say I ate all the puddings, ate all the burgers and fries, cleared out the buffet and at the time not a single *kitten* was given. Different story now though. I feel really guilty lol. I am too scared to even go near the scales and I don't think I will for a couple of weeks.

Haha. Everyone is like that on vacation. It's really hard to restrict and maintain some sense of self-control while buffets and treats are an arms length away. Get in three or four good workouts this week and you should be back to normal.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    What happens on vacation stays on vacation. Give yourself a few days to settle back into your routine and then weigh in. If you walked a lot it's probably fine - if it isn't it's soon undone
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm planning to go on vacation for a week 13 hours from home. I do plan to still make good choices and not overeat or go overboard because I KNOW how miserable I will feel after eating too much. I also will be in pools and the ocean or walking a lot so that will help balance out the food I eat. I will be exercising more than at home by swimming all day and walking a lot, stuff I don't do regularly.

I have 3 kids and a husband that will be eating the most. I will just stick to my usual choices I'd make at home or close as possible. We also only plan to eat out for dinner each evening and fix all other meals and snacks in our condo the whole week and this part of Florida is known for healthy stores so I'll be able to find some fresh fruits and veggies. I know all in all I'll go over a little but I intend on at least trying to stay on track. It's possible. I've done it before.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »

If you go back to your regular diet, you'll lose weight quickly since it's all water weight. On my last vacation, I came back 8 lbs heavier, I lost those 8 lbs in 2 weeks. It wasn't fat, it was mainly water weight.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 2 week vacation. I stayed active. I didn't go full-on crazy, but I did relax a bit with the food & alcohol intake.

I prefer to weigh myself the first morning after I return. I'm a daily weigher, so I like the data. I am up 4 lbs from my pre-vacation weight. I assume some of that is water weight (salty travel snacks, fast food & extra carbs). Some may be fat. But it will be interesting to track my weight daily throughout the next week or two to see the net result of my vacation enjoyment.

At any rate, I'll get right back into my normal routine and move on. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Nah, I eat more adventurously when I'm on vacation. You can get a burger anywhere.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Well at least I'm not alone then, Got back to the gym today and it felt good. I'll weight myself in 2 weeks. Don't want to depress myself.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    But the big question is - did you have a great time on your vacation? That's the most important part.

I try not to go overboard when I'm on vacation but I also don't worry too much. I take few enough vacations and they are important for my mental health.

Just get back on track. Waiting a couple of weeks to weigh is probably a good idea or if you do decide to weigh now you may be surprised at how little you actually gained and how fast it comes off.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    But the big question is - did you have a great time on your vacation? That's the most important part.

I try not to go overboard when I'm on vacation but I also don't worry too much. I take few enough vacations and they are important for my mental health.

Just get back on track. Waiting a couple of weeks to weigh is probably a good idea or if you do decide to weigh now you may be surprised at how little you actually gained and how fast it comes off.

Oh yes and half of that was eating everything I shouldn't but f**k it. I only do it once a year. Its back to broccoli rice and chicken now. A big piece of Strawberry Cheesecake would be good right now though lol
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just got back from about a week in NYC--and it was restaurant week in the city!!! Lots of walking, lots of good good food!! With fear and trembling I approached the scale--and was down 1 pound!!! (and the wallet was quite a bit lighter too)
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    krael65 wrote: »
    I just got back from a 2 week vacation. I stayed active. I didn't go full-on crazy, but I did relax a bit with the food & alcohol intake.

I prefer to weigh myself the first morning after I return. I'm a daily weigher, so I like the data. I am up 4 lbs from my pre-vacation weight. I assume some of that is water weight (salty travel snacks, fast food & extra carbs). Some may be fat. But it will be interesting to track my weight daily throughout the next week or two to see the net result of my vacation enjoyment.

At any rate, I'll get right back into my normal routine and move on. :)

Same here, 2 weeks no gym no restrictions and weighed morning after getting home. 6lb gain, no big deal right back at it and feel great again. Will be interesting to see my next weigh in, although I am bulking so not sure if I want to see the number up or down after this lol.... It will all work out in the end.

OP relax just get back into routine and work on not have guilt after your little indulgences, you have to live too. If you are not enjoying your diet or are too restrictive change that and find what works for you.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I went to DC for 10 days. I stayed in a place that had a communal kitchen. Yes, I did prep. I had a cooler back pack I used. Walked everywhere. Averaged 24000 a day. I ate out 1-2 times a day. Did not go crazy, but ate what sounded good. Local oysters one night. Hit China town for Peking duck... ect... came back lighter actually.