Runners

Options
Hey all-

I have recently started a walking/jogging routine to get me started for a 5k. I'm actually doing the couch to 5k program and am currently on week 3. I downloaded an app on my phone that basically tells me when to walk, jog, and run. Technically the program asks me to go for 30 minutes each time, 3 times a week. I have been going every other day and have been able to keep up with the increasing jogging times and I feel so so good. I get tired and winded but I literally have never attempted to jog/run in my life. I'm really enjoying this excercise time and I'm itching to go for a short jog on my days off- do you think I will mess up the training by going more often? I don't want my body to be so sore that I have to take a few days off. I feel like I've been born to run and I just can't get enough!!! Any advice???

Replies

• dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love to run and do it every day. Sometimes more than once a day. I say if you want to run then run... your body will tell you when you need to take a break.
  • luckyjoekohn
    Options
    Stretch as often as possible, before and after your run. It will help with soreness. Best of luck.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I never understood people who run everyday. I can only run every other day because simply, your body needs to rest. I can run much much further and faster running every other day then running everyday.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    As long as you take it easy you should be okay. Make sure you have a rest day, and listen to your body. ( I didn't and now I can't run for a couple of weeks! )
  • jjewelty
    jjewelty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree! I kickbox every day, sometimes twice a day. I just can't seem to get enough! Exercise is an addiction that is
    good for you!
    :-)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your body. If you feel you are capable of going further or longer or more often than give it a try.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it so much and really getting into it!!! Good luck with the upcoming 5k!
  • KDXChuck
    KDXChuck Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great job on the running! As far as adding days, try it and see how it goes. Everyone is different. Dragonfly runs everyday, but I can only run 4-5 days a week or I start having injuries.

I would try adding one extra day for a couple weeks. If no issues, add another day and evaluate.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise is an addiction and you should be doing it every day. HOWEVER, as a beginning runner you should not be running everyday. It is a classic mistake of beginner runners to over do it and end up sidelined with and injury. Please do some research on Runnersworld.com about this and why it is important to take breaks. These beginning running programs were designed by experts this way for a reason. You should def. be cross training with weights or biking or swimming or something but your body needs a break from the impact.

Once you have been running for a while and have serious miles logged then you can increase your days.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    A word to the wise - many, many people, myself included, feel this way at some point doing a walk-to-run programme like C25K. Try and finish it first, perhaps adding in different cardio and resistance training in your off days, only then think about adding more days. Trying to progress too much at once may not result in fatigue or injury but it often leads to discouragement whjn you suddenly stop making the progress you've been seeing.

Also beware that a lot of people will hit one week that suddenly feels much harder than the previous ones. Don;t be discouraged, and don't be afraid to repeat the same week.

Here are all my beginner's running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Good luck, and glad to hear you're learning to love running!
  • krittie67
    krittie67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you should try doing weight lifting on your off days. I also run but not every day. I always give myself one day off completly. Maybe try running 2 days and one day off.
  • AngieMcHenry
    AngieMcHenry Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did this same program last year and I am still running. My advice is, in the beginning, follow the program exactly. If you do too much, you will get ship splints and you don't want that. If you have never run, your body needs the rest time to build the muscle and bone that you will need as a runner. Just my two cents. ( I had a friend who did it right after I did and she tried to do more thank the couch to 5k said and she developed shin splints.)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to follow the program *exactly* and give your body the required rest breaks. The program was designed my experts to condition your body to the pounding that goes with running. Running more often is likely to result in injury.

The point is to help you be a runner for life. An injury won't help you toward that goal.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Since you're starting out, I would advise you to not run every day. If you're having a hard time taking one rest day in between runs, just think how hard it will be to take a week or two off to nurse an injury.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are cross training on your non-running days and taking a full day off or make it a yoga/stretch day. Don't forget you don't want to fatigue those new running muscles and bones.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I'd stick to the program. If you want a challenge, try running faster or taking shorter breaks. On your days off you should add lifting.

NOW, MOST IMPORTANTLY, get fitted properly for running shoes. This is SO important in preventing injury! I mean it, go to a running shoe store and have them fit you. If you think they are over priced, write down the shoe and the size and find the same pair (exact same) online (i use roadrunnersports.com because of their VIP discounts). Even changing models/years in the same type of shoe makes a difference.

Seriously, go get shoe fitted now!
  • Cokamo
    Cokamo Posts: 51
    Options
    Be careful with the speed of your progression. I'd never run regulary before about a year ago when I decided to train for a half marathon w/some friends. The training schedule felt good and I felt strong, however, because I'd never run before and it turned out to be too ambitious for my body. Your body and bones need time to adjust to the additional stress running puts on it. Over time w/continued gradual stress, your bones will strengthen to endure it. I progressed too quickly and ended up with a stress fracture followed by a knee surgery. Now, several months later, I am starting from square one again. I am starting with swimming and elliptical work outs for now and won't begin running again until I've lost some weight and even then, my goal will simply be a 5k.

And, do not run everyday, your body needs time to repair itself. If you want to do something on your off days, do something low impact like walking, elliptical, swimming, etc. Just be reasonable with your goals and your body...trust me, pushing it too far was not worth it for me in the long run.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Definitely follow the program as written. It works. You have to be a bit patient for things you want.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    For beginning runners I advise taking it slow. If you're just starting the C25K program, stick to it. Even if you "feel" you can do more. Its very important to take it slow and let your body adjust to running to avoid injury.

If you want to stay active every day I recommend cross training. Pick up cycling/swimming even elliptical on your off days.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hey all-

I have recently started a walking/jogging routine to get me started for a 5k. I'm actually doing the couch to 5k program and am currently on week 3. I downloaded an app on my phone that basically tells me when to walk, jog, and run. Technically the program asks me to go for 30 minutes each time, 3 times a week. I have been going every other day and have been able to keep up with the increasing jogging times and I feel so so good. I get tired and winded but I literally have never attempted to jog/run in my life. I'm really enjoying this excercise time and I'm itching to go for a short jog on my days off- do you think I will mess up the training by going more often? I don't want my body to be so sore that I have to take a few days off. I feel like I've been born to run and I just can't get enough!!! Any advice???

Don't do it. When you start to run, you put your bones, ligaments and tendons through a pretty tough pounding they aren't used to. Your body NEEDS that day off to recover, strengthen and heal from the torture. Not doing so sets you up for potential injuries (and/or burn out). Find something else fun to do on your day off (cross training) - swim, ride a bike, walk, yoga, pilates, aerobics class, zumba. Just don't run.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Generally I'd say if you're following a program, just follow the program. If the program says rest days then take rest days. Can't speak much for running but for example I'm itching to start P90x but I'm in the middle of 30DS so one at a time...

Perhaps try something low impact like swimming or getting on the bike for half hour on your off days?