High protein diet

Hey Guys,
I'm new to fitness and have been trying to follow a high protein diet along with low fat and medium carbs. If you all have any recipies, meal plans or suggestions, do drop a comment <3

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Without any specifications, all suggestions will be hit-or-miss. So what exactly do you mean by high protein, low fat, medium carbs? And why are you doing it?
  • zohabashirahmed
    zohabashirahmed Posts: 4 Member
    So I've been trying to recomp. I strength train four times a week with two upper body and two lower body sessions. And the other three days I would either do HIIT cardio or slow steady state depending on my mood. I usually have protein shakes everyday which makes up around 40 g of protein along with egg whites, Greek yogurt and other dairy products. I've switched to brown rice instead of white and have been trying my best to avoid fast food, soda and processed sugar. I've also been consuming a lot of chicken and would rarely have mutton. I consume most of my carbs in the form of fruits like mangos and bananas and rice of course. I've been meaning to try carb cycling; i.e. Consume more carbs on strength training days and vice versa. However, because I am new to this and have a background of really bad nutritional habits, I do feel a little over the place and would appreciate help.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    How many calories are you eating and how many grams of protein are you aiming for? What are your goals (weight loss or gain, specific fitness goals, health conditions you are trying to deal with, etc)

The general recommendation is 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of goal body weight. I've heard some people recommend as much as 1g per lb. There's really no reason to get much more than that, unless it helps you feel full. Extra protein is just flushed down the toilet if I understand correctly.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    My advice would be don't overcomplicate it. Tailor your macros to your needs, goals and what makes you feel best. As long as you get adequate protein and fat, then you can play around with the rest. Calorie cycling is fine if that's how you want to eat but it's not necessary and I think it's best to master the basics first (ie. Hitting your calorie goal and macros consistently and comfortably).

I also like higher protein and moderate carbs and fat. But usually because I am in a deficit and protein keeps me full. Prelogging your food helps, having a list of foods by macro category can help too so if you are in a bind and need more protein and a bit of fat you can look to the list for help you hit your goals.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I'm on 180g protein 150 carb and 55 fat but I don't use MFP to log so I'm afraid I won't be much help! Good luck with your recomp goals.