Intermittent Fasting and Female Hormones

Options
My hair has been falling out a lot over the past week. Due to my PCOS it has already thinned a lot but it stopped falling out so much until recently. I know my hormones are out of whack. I just read this article about intermittent fasting for women and I couldn't believe it. Hair loss can be caused by intermittent fasting. I've been fasting a lot recently as I've been trying to keep my calories under control. I've been fasting more than 16 hours, some days 18-20 hours and now I don't know what to do. I IF so I don't get hungry but I really want to balance my hormones out and get my hair back. Should I only fast three times a week? I fast every single day and now I'm thinking that's too much. I don't how to undo IF because I've gotten used to eating just twice a day and now I'll be eating 4-5 times a day. Any tips?

Here's the article
https://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting-women

Replies

• alabamaheather
    alabamaheather Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have read that it is common to lose hair while cutting calories and losing weight. When you stop losing the hair loss will stop.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Undereating and nutrient/mineral deficiencies can cause hair loss as well.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Well I’m at a calorie deficit so that’s mild under eating. My diet is very good which is why I was thinking it could be the IF.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,502 Member
    Options
    I read a scientific article a few years ago while living in the Middle East. It caused quite some discussions there as it stated that intermittend fasting (basically fasting during Ramadan) might lead to a higher risk of developing diabetes in women already at risk of developing it. This had something to do with hormone levels and change of insulin excretion throughout the day. Men didn't show this. I don't know if it was tosh to be honest, and I can't find this article anymore so this probably doesn't help. But maybe one of the regulars can debunk this?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Fasting is not eating. If you're eating every day, you're not fasting.

Sorry that's really not accurate at all - fasting is a very wide spectrum from restrictions on food types or timing (think fasting for Lent or Ramadan) all the way through to "nil by mouth" before a surgical procedure.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I read a scientific article a few years ago while living in the Middle East. It caused quite some discussions there as it stated that intermittend fasting (basically fasting during Ramadan) might lead to a higher risk of developing diabetes in women already at risk of developing it. This had something to do with hormone levels and change of insulin excretion throughout the day. Men didn't show this. I don't know if it was tosh to be honest, and I can't find this article anymore so this probably doesn't help. But maybe one of the regulars can debunk this?
    Many people gain weight during Ramadan because they eat more calories when they do eat. Weight gain is associated with diabetes. Women tend to seek towards sweets, more than men do. Of course scientific articles can't state their findings just like that, but it's a good idea to try to keep calm and think rationally. The world works on certain premises.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options

So IF is more problematic for women than men?
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    From what I understand about IF more of the hormonal problems happen with 20/4, or OMAD. But I have seen it recommended for women to practice 14/10 to avoid any hormonal disruption. But, hair falling out can be caused by many things. Are you counting your calories? Or are you just doing IF? For me personally , It can be very easy for me to only eat 900 calories in a day without really meaning to while I am practicing IF. So if you are not counting, it's possible you could be undereating without realizing it.
    You could count (if you're not already) and see where your calories are hitting.
    You could also extend your eating window and fast between 14-16 hours instead of 16-18. Eat the same 2 meals, but add a snack somewhere in there too. If increasing your calories doesn't help, then it's time to go see a doctor. There are other things such a low thyroid that can cause hair to fall out too.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

^^^This. How many calories are you getting per day? What about fat and protein?
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    From what I understand about IF more of the hormonal problems happen with 20/4, or OMAD. But I have seen it recommended for women to practice 14/10 to avoid any hormonal disruption. But, hair falling out can be caused by many things. Are you counting your calories? Or are you just doing IF? For me personally , It can be very easy for me to only eat 900 calories in a day without really meaning to while I am practicing IF. So if you are not counting, it's possible you could be undereating without realizing it.
    You could count (if you're not already) and see where your calories are hitting.
    You could also extend your eating window and fast between 14-16 hours instead of 16-18. Eat the same 2 meals, but add a snack somewhere in there too. If increasing your calories doesn't help, then it's time to go see a doctor. There are other things such a low thyroid that can cause hair to fall out too.

I am counting my calories. I weigh all my food etc. Yes maybe two meals plus one snack could be a possibility. I guess it could be many other reasons too. I’m not under eating though because I aim for 10500 calories per week. I eat a balanced diet too.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

^^^This. How many calories are you getting per day? What about fat and protein?

I eat a high fat diet. Aim for 100g of protein now. I used to eat below that but now for the past few months I’ve been aiming for 100 grams. I also eat carbs too. I eat rice since it’s part of my culture as well as lentils and chickpeas. I keep carbs under 100grams. Also have plenty of veggies and abit of fruit.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are eating enough fat, and getting plenty of protein. It's possible the IF is aggravating your adrenal system (it can boost cortisol in some women), you can try licorice root (tea or supplement) to help with that if you think that's the cause of the hair loss, or try increasing other adrenal supporting foods.

Licorice root can cause an increase in blood pressure for some people, if that is a concern there is a traditional chineese medicine formula called nervous fatigue that can be used instead.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »

I am counting my calories. I weigh all my food etc. Yes maybe two meals plus one snack could be a possibility. I guess it could be many other reasons too. I’m not under eating though because I aim for 10500 calories per week. I eat a balanced diet too.

Then I suppose try narrowing your window to 14-16 hours instead of 16-18 fasted. Take 100-200 calories from your budget and use it as a snack. So have two 650 meals, and a 200 calorie snack. See if that helps. But if you are eating a varied diet, and aren't undereating, then there may be something else going on.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    It sounds like you are eating enough fat, and getting plenty of protein. It's possible the IF is aggravating your adrenal system (it can boost cortisol in some women), you can try licorice root (tea or supplement) to help with that if you think that's the cause of the hair loss, or try increasing other adrenal supporting foods.

Licorice root can cause an increase in blood pressure for some people, if that is a concern there is a traditional chineese medicine formula called nervous fatigue that can be used instead.

Okay thanks for the tips
  • xxzenabxx
    Options

Then I suppose try narrowing your window to 14-16 hours instead of 16-18 fasted. Take 100-200 calories from your budget and use it as a snack. So have two 650 meals, and a 200 calorie snack. See if that helps. But if you are eating a varied diet, and aren't undereating, then there may be something else going on.

Thanks. I looked at pictures of female androgenic alopecia online and that’s what my hair looks like so seems to be that where the hair thins from the sides not the top
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,502 Member
    Options

So IF is more problematic for women than men?

That's what I read a few years ago, but I did ask this community to debunk this.