Amennorhea due to exercise

Options
nadine_marriday
nadine_marriday Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone else experienced amennorhea due to exercise and how do you get your cycle back?

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Cut back on the exercise and eat more?

Pretty much this.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Not from exercise but when I go below a certain weight, I stop having periods.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    That tends to be causes by a low body weight, to which exercise is a contributing factor. So, adding more calories and cutting back on the exercise is likely the best course of action.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Exercise-related amenorrhea is generally considered an energy availability issue. You can either cut back on the exercise, or eat more. Your choice.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you just stopped getting it, you might want to go and get your hormones checked, just to be safe. In the meantime, eat more and make sure you are eating adequate fats.

It should come back easily if this is recent. Mine has been gone for 8 years and it'll cause health problems that are best to be avoided if possible.
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I second going and getting it checked out. For most women it takes a lot of exercise for this to occur. I know a few girls I ran with that had it happen, but we're 30 miles a week of running on young, growing bodies, and not getting enough calories to balance it out. Unless you are a teen. Then I say, you need to look into eating more and logging it. My son is starting to run, and he will be packing higher calorie, good for you lunches this year instead of relying on school food. He already weighs under 100 pounds, and can't afford to lose anything!