Mac and Cheese Recipes!?

Options
AJB1014
AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
Give me ALL your mac and cheese recipes! "Healthy" or "Not healthy" I do not care - making it at home is always a calorie saver compared to ordering out. And I'll ALWAYS make room in my day for some mac and cheese! Bonus points if it incorporates ground chicken! Thanks :)

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,666 Member
    Options
    I normally make classic mac and cheese. Undercooked macaroni. Bechamel sauce with grated hard cheese stirred into it. Baked in the oven in a casserole with some bread crumbs on top.

However I have been having a though experiment with replacing bechamel with cottage cheese blitzed in the food processor and mixed with garlic powder and a little grated hard cheese such as mature cheddar or parmesan. Less work, maybe less calories. Haven't tried this yet though.
  • lorigskitchen
    lorigskitchen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Boil your noodles... drain completely after noodles are softened but not mushy. In a non sick pan place several tabs of salted butter add cooked noodles and then add cheese to your hearts content... cover n cook on medium low until all the cheese melts... stir occasionally if desired... but if you like a crispy bottom layer... just leave it alone! The kind of cheese my Mom would always use was Munster... I mix it up but Munster is really still the best! Salt n Pepper to taste and ENJOY!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Tried a cauliflower base / bacon / cheese bake recently. Tasted all right, didn't miss the pasta.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Follow the recipe on the back of the Creamettes elbow macaroni box "Classic Baked Mac & Cheese" - hands down the best.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    One for your electric pressure cooker (you can stove-top this in a saucepan, but you'll wanna add about 4oz more broth, and cook the pasta till tender)

Completely stolen from Pressureluck Cooking (thanks Jeffery)
    B)https://pressureluckcooking.com/recipe/instant-pot-mac-cheese/

The Stuff:
    • 2 1/2 cups of Cellentani/Cavatappi (it’s like if Shirley Temple’s hair were a pasta)
    • 2 cups of chicken broth
    • 1 cup of water
    • 2 tbsp (1/4 stick) of salted butter
    • 1 tbsp of grated Parmesan cheese
    • 8-16 oz (1-2 8 oz bags) of shredded sharp Cheddar cheese or any kind of cheese you like that melts easily. (Start with 8 oz and then, once blended in, you can choose to add more if you want it SUPER cheesy)
    • One 5.2 oz package of Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs Cheese (or Boursin Shallot & Chive Cheese), cut into small crumbles (this is usually always found in the deli/cheese/cured meat section of any market and Costco sells it in packs of 3. If you cannot find it, 5 oz from a brick of cream cheese will do)
    • 1 tsp of yellow mustard (you don’t have to use this but I assure you you can’t taste any mustard flavor once added – it just really enhances the cheese flavor)
    • 1 tsp of hot sauce
    How to:
    1. Add the macaroni, broth, water, butter and Parmesan to your electric pressur cooker. Stir well
    2. Put the lid on the cooker, ensure it's sealed, and set High Pressure for 6 minutes
    3. Quick release and open lid when finished. There will have a lot of liquid in the pot but this is exactly what we want as it will serve as the base for the sauce!
    4. Add the cheddar, Boursin/cream cheese, and mustard and just stir until it gets creamy – a few minutes! It may appear a bit runny at first, but once you let it set for a few minutes after stirring, it will thicken

Or just watch for yourself:
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ingredients
    • 8 ounces large elbow macaroni or other hollow whole grain pasta
    • 1 pound spinach
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
    • 6 scallions, finely chopped
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 8 sprigs parsley (leaves), chopped
    • 6 sprigs dill, chopped
    • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
    • 4 ounces kasseri or provolone cheese
    • 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 375°F.
    Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to box directions, drain and set aside.
    Meanwhile, heat a pot over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup water and the spinach. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until spinach is wilted and tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold, running water to cool. Use your hands to squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as possible; working in small handfuls. Fluff the spinach back up a bit, place in a large bowl and set aside.
    Return the pot to medium-high heat, add the oil, onions, scallions and salt. Cook, stirring, until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add to the spinach. Toss in the parsley and dill. Stir everything together. Add the pepper and nutmeg; stir to combine.
    Add 3/4 of the cheeses. Stir to mix. Add the pasta; stir to combine.
    Coat an 8-by-8 baking dish with cooking spray. Dump the mixture into the dish, top with the remaining cheese and bake until browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes.
    Let sit about 5 minutes before cutting into 4 pieces. Serve warm.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    You are all EVIL for taunting me with this thread! >:)

My Mother made the BEST macaroni and cheese. I need to find her recipe; I know it's written down somewhere.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I love stove stop mac and cheese when I have a craving that just doesn't go away. I can make it in less than 20 minutes, including boiling time and I always have everything I need in the fridge. It's not decadent like real mac n cheese but it hit the spots so fast and yummmm.

I love smitten kitchen recipe: https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/02/quick-essential-stovetop-mac-and-cheese/
    However for an even more lazy recipe (and less cals) skip the butter, you don't need it. Gently heat the milk, mix flour with a splash of cold milk in a bowl and mix it with the hot milk. Insta "almost bechamel" and with the parmesan, you do not taste the difference.

I also often add small brocoli florets for the last 2 minutes of the pasta. It cooks together so less dishes, it bulks up the meal with greens and really cheese and brocoli is always delicious.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    1 lb mac noodles
    1 lb velveeta
    1 lb other cheese (I like 1/2 lb white cheddar and 1/2 lb pepper jack)
    2 c half and half
    2 eggs
    salt/pepper

cook the noodles until almost done
    drain
    add them back to the pot with half and half and velveeta (cubed)
    once the velveeta is melted add the other cheese (grated)
    once melted, remove from heat, add salt/pepper to taste
    add eggs
    pour into baking dish
    bake at 350 for about 45 min (until the edges bubble and the top browns slightly)

best mac & cheese ever
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

This is how I make my mac and cheese, except I don't use bread crumbs nor the parmesan and add an additional (to the 8 oz sharp cheeder--I use slightly less than 8oz, maybe 5 or so oz of sharp cheedar) I add extra 2-3 oz of mild cheddar and 2-3 oz of jack or shredded pizza or taco shredded cheese and 2 or 3 eggs (beat just slightly). Finish it off with some smoked Paprika, Garlic, Chili & Chives Spice on top=YUM
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Disclaimer: Not healthy or diet friendly in any way!

This is my favorite. It's very decadent! There is a steakhouse we love called Fleming's. (It's a chain.) They have a chipolte mac-n-cheese side that is to die for and I found the real recipe from the head chef of the chain. I make it a lot for parties and BBQs. I call it my "special occasion" mac-n-cheese recipe. It's always a hit. I also add a about 1/8 of a teaspoon of ground mustard.

1 pound pasta, cavatappi or curly (note: it's gotta be cavatappi!)
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    3/4 cup onion, 1/2-inch dice
    1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups heavy cream
    3 cups half-and-half
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon white pepper (ground)
    1/2 pound smoked cheddar cheese, grated
    1/2 poune cheddar cheese, grated
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (chipotle chili powder)
    3/4 cup panko bread crumbs

IPreheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large pot, bring 1 gallon of water to boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt and pasta and cook for 8 - 9 minutes

Drain pasta and cool under cold running water. Pasta should be slightly firm.
    Toss drained pasta in oil and reserve.

Melt butter in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 4 - 5 minute.

Add flour and cook 1 - 2 minute but do not brown.

Add cream, half and half, kosher salt and white pepper.

Bring pot to a simmer. Cook until sauce is thick, about 5 - 6 minute Blend cheese into sauce and add cooked pasta.

Pour pasta and sauce into a 9 x 12" baking dish. Reserve.

In a saute pan over medium-high heat, add oil and chipotle chili powder. Heat for 30 seconds, until pan starts to smoke. Remove from stove and stir in bread crumbs.

Sprinkle bread crumbs over the pasta and bake for 15 - 20 minute until golden. Cool slightly before serving.
  • _aj_2
    _aj_2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make cauliflower Mac and cheese. I cook the macaroni as per normal. Steam a whole cauliflower. Fry off some garlic. Throw the cauliflower, garlic and some parsley, salt, pepper and milk in the blender and blend it up. Then into an oven dish and sprinkle with cheese and bake it. I wouldn't say it's healthy but the cauliflower does bulk it out a lot.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    You are all EVIL for taunting me with this thread! >:)

My Mother made the BEST macaroni and cheese. I need to find her recipe; I know it's written down somewhere.

I know I know! I'm sorry - I couldnt help myself the other day!
    mariluny wrote: »
    I love stove stop mac and cheese when I have a craving that just doesn't go away. I can make it in less than 20 minutes, including boiling time and I always have everything I need in the fridge. It's not decadent like real mac n cheese but it hit the spots so fast and yummmm.

I love smitten kitchen recipe: https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/02/quick-essential-stovetop-mac-and-cheese/
    However for an even more lazy recipe (and less cals) skip the butter, you don't need it. Gently heat the milk, mix flour with a splash of cold milk in a bowl and mix it with the hot milk. Insta "almost bechamel" and with the parmesan, you do not taste the difference.

I also often add small brocoli florets for the last 2 minutes of the pasta. It cooks together so less dishes, it bulks up the meal with greens and really cheese and brocoli is always delicious.

THIS! This speaks to me! :D I love that its a single serving so "I can go back to eating leafy greens the next day" Hahaha - no but seriously just what I was looking for to cure a craving!
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I do the recipe from The Pioneer Woman... everyone in the family loves it, I like it extra cheese-saucy, because then when/if you bake it, it doesn't dry up.

https://afewshortcuts.com/pioneer-womans-mac-cheese/
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    1/2 lb. of pasta (or more, if you like less cheesy/saucy mac n cheese. I like my pasta drowning in cheese sauce).
    3 tbsp salted butter
    3 tbsp flour
    8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    2 cups of whole milk
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp garlic powder
    salt and pepper to taste

Boil and drain pasta. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat (should be hot, but not burning), add flour and whisk for a few minutes. Add cold or room-temperature milk a little at a time, whisking as you add, until all liquid is combined and mixture becomes smooth.

Add grated cheese in handfuls, stirring until all cheese is melted. Add dry mustard, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Take sauce off heat and pour over pasta; stir to combine.
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    ***Healthier Option***

Butternut squash mac and cheese.

You roast the BNS and then blitz it into a ultra smooth purée/sauce (with milk or veg stock to loosen if necessary) then add less cheese than you would normally need but definitely use a mature/extra mature to get the strong flavour come through.
    You pour the velvety mixture over the cooked pasta and then finish off in oven with a little extra cheese on top. Loads of versions of this recipe around internet (mine differs each time so I can’t give you measurements sorry)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,666 Member
    Options
    I tried out my thought experiment for lower calorie cheese sauce to replace the classic bechamel based one. Equal parts in weight of grated mature cheddar, no fat cottage cheese, and semi skimmed milk. Blitz in the food processor. Add garlic powder, dried herbs and salt and pepper to taste. It's easier than bechamel and lower in fat.