Would you let your spouse weigh you in?

Options
2»

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yes. We're closing in on 18 years together, there is nothing to hide.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm happy for anyone at all to see my weight number on the scales.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Here is the situation:
    Both DH and I are motivated about losing weight. I have much more to lose than he does, but he still wants to lose about 25-30 pounds (he has already lost 65). We are both very good about supporting one another, giving each other a little slack and neither of us is trying to guilt, control or manipulate the other about weight loss or appearance, etc. We both have more success when we have a little bit of accountability and so far, we have not really set up a way to be accountable, other than just discussing our highs/lows. Neither of us have anything to hide and we both already know approximately what each other weighs.

So, my question is, would you let your spouse witness your weigh in number, with the goal of having an accountability factor? I know I would probably push myself a little more, if I knew I was weighing in with my spouse once every so often (we are considering every two weeks).

My husband thinks this is an awesome idea and I do to, I just have more of a concern about this crossing some codependency boundary or creating a weird relationship dynamic that could lean unhealthy. I have no reason for concern as it stands right now regarding our relationship health. I know he would be nothing but supportive, as I would be for him.

Just wondering if you think it is weird, or if you would do it yourself.

Weighing in with my sibling with old family friends as witnesses benefitted me greatly when I was freight-weight heavy, for it forced me to maintain my calorie deficit to not disappoint "the community." Now, years later, presently on my cut, friends privy my weigh-ins, on the daily (AM), since we'd started our Dinner Group (where we take turns preparing and hosting a dinner, rotating from house to house, within our neighbourhood), committed to the same eating plan (dietary choice), readying ourselves for a sorority sister-friend's nuptials.

Weighing in together as a couple, as each other's accountability partner, in your fitness & good health pursuits is a far cry from what is weird. Throughout these processes, we sometimes are our harshest critics. I have buddies who are equally accessible to my progress, for they're worrywarts - scrutinising my calories, my splits, my hydration, my workout(s) and my weekly weigh-in average. When committed to - Calorie Deficit + Resistance/Strength training + Other workout preferences, your weigh-ins should prove to be something you look forward to doing, with those who love you looking in.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,007 Member
    Options
    Would you let your spouse weigh you in?

:lol:

NO!

My weight is my business, not anyone else's.

• allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I don't care who sees my weight anymore. I freely post it on here and talk about it. Now, 2 years ago was a different story.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have both prepped and competed in lots of bodybuilding shows together - we've been at each others weigh ins, skin fold measurements, in body scans etc, and regularly do each others skinfolds... Nothing to hide from him! Talking about results and how to go about achieving different goals is normal to us.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I blurt out my weight numbers to anyone who asks, be it loss or gain, even random strangers. I also know people who consider their weight number too personal to share even with the closest to them. It would depend on the person I guess? From your OP it looks like neither of you would feel violated, so I say go for it. If it starts causing too much pressure, you could always change the dynamics by simply telling him that it's not having the effect you hoped it would.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    My husband is my best friend and my biggest supporter. I weigh every morning and write it down on a spreadsheet and he cheers when I lose and helps me figure out why I might have gained. It has really helped me to stay on track.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    my husband has no concept of what the number means and is only bothered when my boobs go!

he is trying to gain weight so tells me what he weighs each week as i feed him!
  • leahcarnnachaos
    leahcarnnachaos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We actually weigh each other first thing Sunday morning but it's nothing to do with accountability, and everything to do with the fact that we're both short sighted and not usually wearing our glasses and therefore can't see or read the scale numbers when we're on the scales! It's much easier to have the other person read them, saves a lot of squinting. Even without that issue though, we'd know each others weight as we'd talk about it and support each others progress, and the occasional lack of (plus we're MFP friends!)
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It honestly never occurred to me that anyone would hide their weight from anyone, let alone their spouse, until a friend recently told me her partner refused to tell her how much she weighed. We talked about it quite a bit because my friend and I are both on the same page, and wouldn't think twice about sharing that information. In my mind, it generally isn't a surprise, even if you think you look lighter/heavier than you really are than the number shouldn't actually matter. It's like a clothing size, 200 pounds can look super different on so many different bodies. Even when I was a good deal heavier, I didnt mind telling people what I weighed, it was just another fact like giving out my height. My wife and I have talked about weights a few times, and we help each other take measurements. It's so much easier to measure yourself with help, and knowing each others measurements has it's bonus when you want to surprise each other with clothing gifts.
  • lsutigerscage
    lsutigerscage Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    I have shared my weight online, so I don't think it's a problem to share it with a spouse. You have to do what feels right for you. I think a good approach is to not make it into a big deal, just a habit.

Valid points! We would probably make it a habit. Like every other Tuesday or something like that. Just a quick hop on the scale and move on with our day (maybe with some compliments thrown in there <3 )

And High Fives! High fives are awesome! When the scale is going in the right direction, celebrate it. And when it's not, take advantage of having your SO there to help you regroup.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this would be considered weird?!
  • grissinger83
    grissinger83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband and I weigh each other in. One of the best parts is when your number is down on the scale your husband will probably very proud of your accomplishment and be enthusiastic about continuing the journey together.
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't think that weighing in with my husband weekly would really motivate me that much, but it works for you go for it! I already tell him what I weighed in at every week and he tells me when he happens to weigh...but me and my husband are REALLY competitive. It would become a competition quickly and we have completely different goals. He wants to bulk and cut a little and I have over 100lbs to lose, so yea. We don't need to be comparing ourselves to one another.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    It's not like I don't know that she keeps her log book in the underwear drawer. I see the book everytime I put away laundry.

I just choose to not look at it.

While I announce my values just short of buying a billboard, she is more private about such things.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I would, because we are in this together.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it would be weird. it's your husband. He sees you naked. You can't hide from him.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't mind knowing but I'd never ask my girlfriend how much she weighs. The reason is that weight is a highly emotional topic and any perceived pressure from another person can cause problems which might result in weight gain, perhaps for decades. She's never been on a diet and I don't want her to start now.