too much protein?

Options
Every day I am way over the 45 for my protein in my food log even before dinner, but still under everything else. I have never heard of limiting protein. Should I be watching this closer, and limiting my protein?

Replies

• juggalotus
    juggalotus Posts: 227
    Options
    I have the same issue. I really don't think it would be an issue, but let me know if you find anything!
  • sharishar
    sharishar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am sometimes the same so would be interested to find out what people have to say too
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    MFP has it set to only 15% of calories, which is rather low (they have carbs high).

So I went into custom settings and changed protein to 30% of my calories which is a much better option, Carbs 40%/Fat and protein 30%
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have changed my goals to get 30% of my calories from protein. I believe it helps keep me full longer and helps build muscles. I don't think the pre-set goals in MFP provide for enough protein.
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    protein will not hurt you, it is essential to losing weight. Most weight loss surgery patients eat strictly protein during their 1st year. I eat/drink over 100 grams of protein every day. I did have weight loss surgery and I'm down 140 pounds in 8 months. Atkins, South BEach and other diets recommend high protein, low carbs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein pretty low 15% of total calories. A balanced diet can consist of protein up to 30%. So you can double the amount and be fine.

If you want you can change the protein % to better align with your diet and lifestyle. Just go to goals, click change goals, select custom, make your changes, then click save changes.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a dog food company and they told me to be careful when recommending the high protein foods because it had to be for a really active dog or else a really skinny dog that needed to put on weight, or else the high protein content would make them obese.
    I know you're thinking, well thats dogs, not people. But in reality, dogs bodies are designed by nature to be able to better process meat than our bodies are. So if thats true of dogs, its true for people even more so.
    The average person consumes 2-3 times more protein than what is required for their body.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I agree with what everyone else says. My goal for protein every day is 82g, and I don't worry when I go over that, even.
  • mshedlock
    Options
    I read an article that you have to becareful with your protein intake because if you eat to much protein, you could actually gain weight. 45 grams seems to be low if you are active and workout. Most people should eat about 60 grams a day (according to research that I have done online and with talking to a nutritionist).

I hope this helps all of you and good luck!
  • Jdine
    Jdine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If your working out and building muscle you should be consuming about 1 gram per kilo of body wt. Take your wt and divide it by 2.2 to find out how many kilos you are. There is no one-size-fits-all answer to that question, and research on the topic is still emerging. The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day. Bodybuilders and athletes usually consume 1.5-2 grams per kilo of body wt. Excess protein is not bad for you.. it will either be excreted or stored as energy for later if you go over your daily caloric needs. The more muscle you have the more protein you will need to consume to maintain it.
  • THCamel
    THCamel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a high protein, low carb' diet which has worked out well so far :)
  • Jdine
    Options
    Protein is the building blocks of your cells.. Everything from your hair, nails, skin, and muscle is built from the amino acids in the protein. You need to consume a sufficient amount of protein to maintain and build your cells. Different proteins have different amounts of bio-availability. Meaning your body can utilize only a certain amount of the amino acids in the protein. Fish hash the highest bio-availability at 95% chicken is about 65-70 and beef has the lowest around 55%.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    MFP has it set to only 15% of calories, which is rather low (they have carbs high).

So I went into custom settings and changed protein to 30% of my calories which is a much better option, Carbs 40%/Fat and protein 30%

This. Exactly.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein pretty low 15% of total calories. A balanced diet can consist of protein up to 30%. So you can double the amount and be fine.

If you want you can change the protein % to better align with your diet and lifestyle. Just go to goals, click change goals, select custom, make your changes, then click save changes.

THANK you for posting how to do this. I just discussed this very issue with a trainer last night b/c I was also set at 45 and he said that for the training I am doing, that is WAY too low. I should be tryign to get at least 1g per lb of body weight. I was about 30g below that for the last 3 weeks thinking I was going waaaay over until I talked to him and then I couldn't figure out how to adjust it in here. You rock!
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    Thanks for posting this i was about to ask the same question so i'm glad i checked a few pages back. I will now not worry too much for the red figure in the protein!
  • kandy221
    kandy221 Posts: 79
    Options
    Thanks to all of you!
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    I used to work for a dog food company and they told me to be careful when recommending the high protein foods because it had to be for a really active dog or else a really skinny dog that needed to put on weight, or else the high protein content would make them obese.

You're suggesting that, on a 1,500 calorie diet, if I ate 100g of protein (leaving 1,100 calories to come from carbs and fats) I would would become obese compared to having 10g of protein (leaving 1,460 calories to come from carbs and fats.)

That makes no sense.
  • Jdine
    Options
    one gram per kilo of body wt, not 1gram per lb. Excess protein will be converted to fat.
  • akork
    akork Posts: 31
    Options
    "if you eat to much protein, you could actually gain weight"

If you eat to much of anything you can gain weight.

Protein is about 4 calories per gram, carbs 4 calories per gram, fat 9 calories per gram. Aim for some sort of breakdown of Carb-Fat-Protein like 50-30-20 but don't sweat it if you don't hit the mark. If your interest is weight loss all you have to care about is that you are getting enough nutrients for body maintenance (ie your body requires a certain level of protein intake per day) and that past that your caloric intake is lower than your caloric usage. If you are "way above" your protein intake just ask yourself if that makes you above your calorie goal, if it doesn't then it doesn't really matter. Honestly eating more protein can make it much easier to maintain a lower calorie diet as protein calorie for weight is much more satisfying than carbs or fat.

There is no way you are going to eat "to much" protein without trying to intentionally. I'm currently on a 30-20-50 Carb-Fat-Protein Diet and I struggle to get that much protein in a day. Honestly 45g sounds way to low if anything, especially if you are working out. Admittedly I'm eating low carb high protein but in comparison I am eating about 250g protein a day.
  • akork
    akork Posts: 31
    Options
    "Excess protein will be converted to fat."

No it wont