MFP Calorie Goal?

Options
Alright MFP folks, I've used MFP for a while.

I am confused on my calorie goal I just updated it and it dropped me from saying I should eat 1880 to 1670.

I want to lose 2lbs a week, I've calculated out my BMR at various places (this is around 2100-2300) . I was recalculating my calories here because I felt like I was stalling.

I walk around 2-5 miles a day (5 days a week) I do some at home body weight work outs, and I am just curious if this is actually the amount I need to be eating?

I have my self set to sedentary but I do track my exercise in MFP. Is there a better way to get an accurate calorie goal? Is MFP accurate?

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Replies

• ElizIvory
    ElizIvory Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    over the course of 7 years on and off I've lost 77lbs. I've kept it off. I haven't had any loss for about 3 months (just maybe 1-3lb fluctuations)

I am just trying to make a compromise between sites 1600 seems lowish to me but it could just be because I was so obese for so long that I was told I needed to eat higher etc. at 5'10 I am still quite obese but maybe I am down into a range that has a more normal calorie goal.

I just know that a lot of people have thoughts on whether the MFP goal is accurate or not, so I was wondering if anyone had some more insight.

I'm glad it worked out for you, I will try this amount likely and see if it pushes me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ElizIvory wrote: »
    over the course of 7 years on and off I've lost 77lbs. I've kept it off. I haven't had any loss for about 3 months (just maybe 1-3lb fluctuations)

I am just trying to make a compromise between sites 1600 seems lowish to me but it could just be because I was so obese for so long that I was told I needed to eat higher etc. at 5'10 I am still quite obese but maybe I am down into a range that has a more normal calorie goal.

I just know that a lot of people have thoughts on whether the MFP goal is accurate or not, so I was wondering if anyone had some more insight.

I'm glad it worked out for you, I will try this amount likely and see if it pushes me.

Have you considered using a food scale for your solid foods? Sometimes people find they have success counting calories for a while but then need to switch to more accurate methods of measuring food after they lose some weight.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back any of your exercise calories? MFP calorie goals are before exercise.

I have found the MFP goal pretty spot on. I have gained, lost and maintained pretty much in line with those goals. I do find if I start not losing when I think I should be it is a good time to tighten up my logging - making sure I'm logging everything, using a food scale for all solids and measuring liquids. As you get smaller there is less room for error in your logging.

Congrats on your loss so far!
  • ElizIvory
    ElizIvory Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I had a food scale for a while, when I moved most recently (june, across country via airplane) I didn't get to take it with me. I will purchase another one and synch it up. I think I was mostly surprised it adjusted my calorie goal so much when I didnt actually change what I wanted. I just updated it, maybe I hadn't since I'd lost some of the weight, that may be what happened.

Thanks for the congrats! I am hoping I can shed some more and get down to a healthier BMI. Maybe I am eating more than I think. :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ElizIvory wrote: »

So one option would be to stick with your original 1880 and tighten up your logging. We often experience "portion drift" where what looks like a cup of cereal slowly grows over time :lol:. Get a new food scale, focus on that diary, and see if you can get back to losing on your old calorie goal. If nothing moves after 4-6 weeks, then you know you need to drop lower.

Also keep in mind that 2 lbs per week is the most aggressive pace, and your weight of loss will naturally slow. Maybe 2 lbs per week just isn't possible for you to do comfortably now. Nothing wrong with going for 1.5 or even 1lb if it makes you more likely to keep going :drinker: