Very Low Calorie Meals

I need to get a thing going so I can feel nice and full without going over my calorie allowance.

Everyone knows that feel when they are so hungry, they stop at McD's and that one meal is their entire calories for the day. Whoops.

I have quite a few meal habits and routines that work for me, and adding more as time goes on. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Here's some of mine:

Egg white and one whole egg veggie scramble

Shrimp and veggies

Rice and Glory canned green beans

Canned Soups

Homemade soups

Rotisserie Chicken and veggies

Strawberries and whipped cream

Cherries

Avocado toast

Ground turkey with peas and carrots
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    You know that you're supposed to spend all your calories on food, and that it's when you don't do that, that you can't resist McDonald's? (So maybe very low calorie meals isn't what you should be focusing on?)

Yeah. That's why I'm looking for very low calorie meals. So I can eat more food and therefore and not feel hungry. Do you have any to share?
  • kellymccrea1
    kellymccrea1 Posts: 50 Member
    I base my very low calorie meals around lots of lettuce, zucchini noodles, carrot noodles, cauliflower rice. Then I add some kind of protein, other veggies, some kind of sauce, etc.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    I pack my breakfast and lunch everyday. I pack mini bits of several foods. I can eat all of it throughout the day whenever I want, until it's gone. I often head home with a mini snack or two left over. My go-to's are:

- Mini sandwich 90 calorie sandwich flat, meat, veggies or pickles, Hummus or mustard
    - 0 fat Greek yogurt
    - plain oatmeal with splenda
    - fruit
    - veggies, raw or cooked
    - broth soups
    - half an avocado
    - chicken breast
    - hard boiled eggs
    - whole grain cereal bars
    - string cheese

I then know what my calorie allowance is for dinner which helps me make better choices.

I rarely eat fast food, but I find the chicken snack wraps are decnt options for me. I get mine grilled without sauce so I can add something else like a small fry, soup or salad.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, the key is really figuring out what foods fill you up, it's different for everyone.

Some people need volume, so they like to fill up on lots of low cal veggies and lean protein like egg whites. I'm not really a volume eater - I could eat a vat of leafy greens and egg whites and still feel like I needed more.

Others find fat fills them up, even if it means eating a smaller sized meal.

For me, a combo of protein and fiber with a little fat does the trick. The foods that tend to make my meal feel like it will stick with me is a serving of potatoes or pasta - other people would see that as wasted calories. (Most of the stuff you listed wouldn't fill me up at all, I could eat a truckload of cherries!) I don't really have any "low-cal" meals that satiate me. To each there own :smile:
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, the key is really figuring out what foods fill you up, it's different for everyone.

Some people need volume, so they like to fill up on lots of low cal veggies and lean protein like egg whites. I'm not really a volume eater - I could eat a vat of leafy greens and egg whites and still feel like I needed more.

For me, a combo of protein and fiber with a little fat does the trick. The foods that tend to make my meal feel like it will stick with me is a serving of potatoes or pasta - other people would see that as wasted calories. (Most of the stuff you listed wouldn't fill me up at all, I could eat a truckload of cherries!) I don't really have any "low-cal" meals that satiate me. To each there own :smile:

Potatoes are awesome and very satiating for me. I need to add that to my list. You can make scallopped potatoes for very low calories and taste great when well seasoned. Thanks for the addition to my list!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You know that you're supposed to spend all your calories on food, and that it's when you don't do that, that you can't resist McDonald's? (So maybe very low calorie meals isn't what you should be focusing on?)

Yeah. That's why I'm looking for very low calorie meals. So I can eat more food and therefore and not feel hungry. Do you have any to share?
    Not really, fullness comes from complete nutrition, which means balanced and varied meals. More (of the same) low calorie foods fills your stomach, but don't nourish you, which is what gives you that "real", lasting feeling of fullness.

Thanks for the tip. Do you have any meals to add to the discussion?
    No, you can pick and choose what you like best, and that's what you'll ultimately do anyway, and you probably don't even like what I like. To se examples of/guidance for balanced meals, go to Healthy Eating Plate & Healthy Eating Pyramid
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I pack my breakfast and lunch everyday. I pack mini bits of several foods. I can eat all of it throughout the day whenever I want, until it's gone. I often head home with a mini snack or two left over. My go-to's are:

- Mini sandwich 90 calorie sandwich flat, meat, veggies or pickles, Hummus or mustard
    - 0 fat Greek yogurt
    - plain oatmeal with splenda
    - fruit
    - veggies, raw or cooked
    - broth soups
    - half an avocado
    - chicken breast
    - hard boiled eggs
    - whole grain cereal bars
    - string cheese

I then know what my calorie allowance is for dinner which helps me make better choices.

I rarely eat fast food, but I find the chicken snack wraps are decnt options for me. I get mine grilled without sauce so I can add something else like a small fry, soup or salad.

I like the hard boiled eggs and low calorie sandwiches. I have some horseradish mustard that is so spicy and oh my gosh, so good. Oh my gosh. So good.

Now if I can find a way to make low cal hollandaise sauce to go over those eggs...

Thanks very much for adding to my list!
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    kimny72 wrote: »

For me, I think flavor is an important component. I am pretty heavy handed with the seasonsings.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    I keep my protein high and fill up on LOTS veggies. seriously my plate usually has as much veggies as three other normal people's plates :P I aim mostly for lower cal proteins.

I also eat often. this means my meals are nothing to write home about. but i eat three snacks plus a dessert.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Sausage, mash, and peas
    Steak, baked potato, salad
    Chicken breast, pasta tossed with sundries tomatoes, olives, and oil, and asparagus/green beans/baby tomatoes
    Chicken korma, rice, and fenugreek stir fried veg
    Salmon, new boiled potatoes and green beans/onion/cauliflower
    Soyand ginger beef, chow mien and bok choi medley
    Vegetarian quesadilla, Caesar salad
    Fish, chips, peas, and cole slaw.
    Singapore curry with chicken and eggs, naan, mixed veg in fish sauce.

All home made, portioned, and come in at 400-450cals.
    NB. Some portions are bigger than others, but each meal contains 25-35g protein and at least 3 veg.

Eat the food you like but in portions that fit your calorie and nutritional goals.

To lose weight, then successfully maintain for 9 years I didn't change what I ate; I changed how much I ate on a day to day basis. I always had/have special occasions and days I go over.

Cheers, h.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Adding healthy fats like avocado, using beans as a protein source, and making sure I am eating lots of veggies helps me fill up. I have problems when I add too many carbs (rice, bread, etc).
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Have you checked out the volume eaters thread? I'm ony phone so I can't link it. It's been around a while anday have some good ideas.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    moogie_fit wrote: »

Not really, fullness comes from complete nutrition, which means balanced and varied meals. More (of the same) low calorie foods fills your stomach, but don't nourish you, which is what gives you that "real", lasting feeling of fullness.

Thanks for the tip. Do you have any meals to add to the discussion?
    No, you can pick and choose what you like best, and that's what you'll ultimately do anyway, and you probably don't even like what I like. To se examples of/guidance for balanced meals, go to Healthy Eating Plate & Healthy Eating Pyramid

Perhaps you need more carbs on your healthy meal plan. I hear people who don't eat enough carbohydrates are easily irritable. I know that's true in my case, so I don't do low carb for that reason.

Thanks for the link.

I don't think @kommodevaran needs advice here, if you are seeking out meal ideas maybe start with a search of the forum or another search engine. You were asking for advice OP, not asked for advice.

Thank you. Did you have any low calorie meals you would like to share?
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Have you checked out the volume eaters thread? I'm ony phone so I can't link it. It's been around a while anday have some good ideas.

I did, thanks. I'm not a volume eater, as I get painfully gassy when I eat too much volume or foods that bulk up like that (cauliflower, broccoli, etc.). I will keep checking it.

But I notice some foods, like berries, shrimp, soups, etc., fill me up, taste great and are crazy low in calories. It helps because at 1200 cal per day, you can't have 500+ calorie meals. Having one or two low cal meals gives extra room for a larger or more calorie dense meal.