What small changes have you made?

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to MFP and looking for suggestions. I'm not a very active person so I'm starting with small changes. So far I have reduced my morning cup of coffee from over 200 calories to a little over 100 by using less sugar (from 3tbs to 1tbs) and using skim milk instead of artificial creamer. I have cut out sweet tea and replaced with water (not easy for this southern gal). And I do squats while folding laundry. What are some of the small changes any of you have made that I might add to my list?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have been adding and removing small and large changes since autumn 2013. These have stuck:
    Eating meals, and only at meals, except when an occasion calls for something else.
    Composing balanced meals.
    Eating a more varied diet.
    Only drinking water, black coffee and unsweetened tea between meals.
    Planning meals, alternating fruit and vegs, rotating dinners by weekly themes.
    Cooking more from scratch.
    Scheduling grocery shopping (and shopping guerrilla style).
    Weighing myself daily.
    Being more active on the daily.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes. Decreasing the sizes of higher calorie stuff and increasing the portion sizes of lower calorie stuff.

Ordering off a low cal menu, or kids menu at restaurants. I still enjoy going out to eat with friends and family, I just eat a lot less than I used to.

The only thing I really gave up: granola. A few slivered almonds and a strawberry have a lot less calories for the same quantity and taste better on my yogurt and oatmeal.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I pre plan and pre log my food for the day but try to leave 100cals or so in case I fancy something, I have a few 100cal treats in my drawer at work for if I do.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I pre plan food as much as possible
    I figured out what exercise i like and i do that (weightlifting, walking, hiking and biking)
    I eat adequate fat, fiber and protein so i am not hungry
  • solorex
    solorex Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting started here as well. I'm trying not to make any radical changes for fear of saying, "Screw this, it's too much hassle." :lol:

But some of the things I've started doing:
    - counting cals using the MFP app (which has had the side effect of adjusting portion sizes)
    - consider food alternatives (don't always follow through, but I'm at least giving some thought to it)
    - actually comparing foods (ties in w/ considering alternatives)
    - alternating between coffee & water while at work
    - utilizing a standing desk @ work
    - trying to get out for a 3+ mile walk/hike 2-3 times a week

It's been a week, and I'm still going...so I guess that's a good sign so far. :lol:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    walking to the store instead of driving when possible
    when driving, parking at the back of the lot so I have to walk farther to the entrance

taking the stairs instead of the elevator

having coffee black and tea plain

if eating out, getting a kids meal, or eating only half the adult meal if appropriate - and get a box with the meal 'cause if it's on my plate I will totally eat it, but if I put half of it out of sight, then I can manage to be quite satisfied on half a meal

not snacking while cooking...no more "bite of this" or "dab of that" during food prep
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I substitute veggies slices for crackers and chips, especially when it comes to dips. I used to make a tuna spread for lunch and eat it with Ritz. Now I eat it with cucumber slices instead. 😊
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    A couple of little exercise things:
    * like #tcunbeliever, I take the stairs instead of the elevator and park farther away from my destination
    * while driving, I do breathing exercises or ab squeezes at stoplights
    * while standing in line (grocery store, post office) I balance on the balls of my feet

A couple of food things:
    * I cook in a no-stick pan with no oil or butter - or maybe just a very small amount of no-stick spray
    * I use hummus as a sandwich spread instead of any mayo-based product
    * I make hummus and soy-based salad dressings with no oil (and a protein boost!)
    * I keep reusable to-go containers in my car and when I eat out, if I don't have someone to split a meal with I will immediately box up half of it when it arrives at the table.

A couple of water things:
    * I keep a water tumbler on my desk, and fill and drink a full glass (12 oz) first thing when I get to the office. This means that I will need to pee in a couple hours, and I then use the pee break for some mini-stretches and/or breathing exercises while walking to and from the rest room, AND I refill my water tumbler on the way back, ensuring another pee break in a couple more hours.
    * If I "feel hungry" when I KNOW I've had plenty of food (e.g., when I get home tired from work), I'll chug two or even three big classes of water as fast as I can to the point of making me almost nauseous. Not only does it help with ensuring hydration, it usually kills the feelings (which, in reality, are more likely stress- and not hunger- related)
  • savannahpcoin
    savannahpcoin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    - Some kind of vegetable at every meal
    - when you cook at home, immediately put leftovers into tupperware and put them away
    - look at the whole picture (i.e. if i'm meeting a friend for drinks after work do I really need to have the doughnut in the breakroom now?)
    - eat the "good" stuff on your plate first (I always try to eat my salad or veggies first)
    - try to eat a salad (that is mostly just veggies and greens with a vinagrette dressing) before most meals. It helps you feel full faster, plus the added roughage and nutrients are good for you
    - if you're not a "greens" person, consider adding them to a smoothie. You can make one with bananas and strawberries so that it doesn't even taste like spinach or kale
    - If you choose to start working out, just showing up is half the battle. It may take a few months, but if you tell yourself every gym day that skipping is not an option you will stick to actually doing your physical activity much better. Its amazing what you can manage to plan around your workout time when you're adamant that it must be done
    - Remember that it's a process! You might not be where you want in 6 months or a year from now, but that doesn't mean that you haven't made amazing progress
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jgdsf73 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm new to MFP and looking for suggestions. I'm not a very active person so I'm starting with small changes. So far I have reduced my morning cup of coffee from over 200 calories to a little over 100 by using less sugar (from 3tbs to 1tbs) and using skim milk instead of artificial creamer. I have cut out sweet tea and replaced with water (not easy for this southern gal). And I do squats while folding laundry. What are some of the small changes any of you have made that I might add to my list?

I want to say that I LOVE your small changes, rather than a gigantic overhaul of everything all at once. That's how you stay successful.

My small changes:

I drink my coffee black now.
    Water bottle on my desk at work to keep up intake.
    I walk up the stairs (4 floors) at work, instead of using the elevator.
    I walk on my morning, lunch, and afternoon break.
    I pre-log my food diary for the day before I have breakfast.

I'm sure there are more. There are also some huge changes, like getting up at 3:45 a.m. five days a week to go to the gym (but that's due to being a competitive powerlifter, not for weight loss).
  • bbqchips93
    bbqchips93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been biking to and from work, and taking my dog for longer walks in the evening. Drinking my coffee slowly so I can have the one cup instead of 3+. Not many changes yet, but they feel good.
  • manowarrule2003
    manowarrule2003 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Olive oil shots
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I guess this really is a bigger change, but I meal prep nearly my entire week's meals, and I've dropped down to eating out maybe only once or twice a month.
  • epr3996
    epr3996 Posts: 2,719 Member
    Options
    Drinking water while watching TV the last hour or so of the day it has kept me from snacking!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    A small change I have made recently is that I have swapped out low calorie bread for a much higher calorie option. The reason it's been a positive change is because this bread has a much higher nutrition profile and is very dense so it fills me up so much better than what I was eating before.

Because of this I finally understand that it's not always about eating the lowest calorie option of a food, but a balance of several things that need to be considered when making these kinds of substitutions.