What's worked, what hasn't worked?

Options
I'd like to hear about your stories of challenges and successes, what's worked and what hasn't.

I'm in my mid sixties. My overall goal is to improve my general health as I age and in the face of a life-long autoimmune disease. I'd say I'm doing really well with it. I've learned that it has to be a way of life. I have a great medical support team and a great circle of support with family and friends. It took me a big part of my life to figure out that I definitely can't not do this alone.

If I had to choose one thing that has worked for me it would be diet, what I call eating clean. Along with yoga, a clean diet has allowed me to get out in front of illness. That's a real victory for me.

One thing that didn't work for me was conventional thinking and approaches to pain, including medications. I suppose these were all part of the learning process but I now manage what used to be overwhelming chronic pain with physical fitness and stress reduction. I'd call it integration of body, mind and spirit. That's another victory even though I still experience pain that I would prefer to reduce or eliminate rather than manage.

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Tracking carefully and having a calorie target has worked to help me lose 65 pounds and keep it off over 5 months so far. Extreme diets failed in the past; I got the weight off quick but gained it back. I haven't stayed close to target for more than a couple of months in decades. This is also the lightest I have been in that same amount of time and I am fit, not just lighter. Not so extreme diets that were restrictive failed the worst; I never even got to goal on those.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy foods most of the time. Drinking less alcohol (all those empty calories from just 1-2 drinks a few nights a week were adding up). Sticking to a consistent exercise schedule that prioritizes strength training. I can’t be “on a diet.” My diet is what I eat all the time.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I found limiting my carbs early in the day keeps me from going overboard the rest of the day. Sticking with pretty much meat and/or eggs if I eat before noon works well for me. Sometimes I'll add in leafy greens if I'm extra hungry in the morning.

I eat lots of carbs but save them for afternoon or evening.
  • NatalieBurton7803
    NatalieBurton7803 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    SusannO wrote: »
    Keto changed my life with my autoimmune disorder. I had chronic pain, inflammation, and steady weight gain. My legs and feet are most affected. Around 3 weeks into keto, I noticed visible inflammation going dramatically down. I was able to adjust the straps on my slides and the laces on my sneakers over an inch. My joints stopped aching completely. I sleep through the night now without tossing and turning in pain. I no longer take my pain meds. For these reasons, I plan to stay keto for the rest of my life. I've also lost 34 pounds in 3 months. I still have weight to lose after 20 years of my thyroid-related autoimmune disorder causing me to constantly creep upward, but the effect on my pain and swelling is more valuable to me.

• NatalieBurton7803
    NatalieBurton7803 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good to hear! Just started this week - hoping it will help with my auto immune (Psoratic Arthritis) disorder too :smile:
  • fruitily
    fruitily Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 on weekdays so I can up to 1500 on the weekend and still lose weight.

I think. It haven't been that long.
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    For me- just realizing that this is a long process. I am not patient so this has been a learning experience 😉 Slow and Steady is my motto.