New shoes or new HRM?

Options
Looking for some advice, please.

I can't afford both right now.
Which do you think is more important, and why?

I have some Nikes that are getting worn down. And lately my feet go numb if I'm on the elllipticals for too long. I think it might be a problem with my shoes? I don't do much running outside on the pavement, because of knee pain and shin splints. Plus the weather sucks 80% of the time in Michigan.
There's a great running store in my town which will help fit you for the right shoes too.

But I'm also really wanting an HRM to more accurately keep track of my calories burned.... I'm highly considering the Polar FT7.

Any thoughts? Which would you get first? Eventually I'll get both, but for now I can only afford one or the other. The other I won't buy for maybe another three months or so.
Help me out, fitness people!

Replies

• kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    IMO the HRM can wait! they are awesome but good shoes are key. you dont want to injure yourself and then you wouldn't be able to exercise anyway! i have found that the machines at my gym are pretty accurate to what my HRM displays... hope that helps!
  • hjames0486
    Options
    Get the shoes first and then by the HRM later. I love my HRM and I use it all the time, but it would be useless if I was not able to exercise and you need the shoes to exercise. Take care of your feet and buy you some new shoes and since it's back to school time, you may be able to find some good deals!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    shoes first - but try and get a deal on them! Ask the running store to evaluate you if you need them to but then once you get their recommendations go online and see if you can find shoes that meet those needs but on sale -- like roadrunner always has older models on sale and they will describe what needs they fulfill.

OR just go to a bigger running store that is likely to have some sale models in store.

I love my HRM but you can get by without it for a few months (I did!) whereas you cannot get by without shoes!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    SHOES SHOES SHOES SHOES. If you don't have shoes, you won't be running anyways.
  • thetorontokid2
    Options
    Get the shoes first and then by the HRM later. I love my HRM and I use it all the time, but it would be useless if I was not able to exercise and you need the shoes to exercise. Take care of your feet and buy you some new shoes and since it's back to school time, you may be able to find some good deals!

THIS exactly!! :)
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    shoes first - but try and get a deal on them! Ask the running store to evaluate you if you need them to but then once you get their recommendations go online and see if you can find shoes that meet those needs but on sale -- like roadrunner always has older models on sale and they will describe what needs they fulfill.

OR just go to a bigger running store that is likely to have some sale models in store.

I love my HRM but you can get by without it for a few months (I did!) whereas you cannot get by without shoes!

You can also see if they have last years model in the back.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Shoes First.. Nordstrom rack is a GREAT place for gym shoes.

Polar FT7 is an awesome monitor.. it's what I have and I love it. The FT4 is just like the FT7, but without all the bells and whistles.. and its cheaper. So if you went for the FT4 maybe you could get both :)
  • dolphin21
    dolphin21 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 HRM!!!!!! shoes you can get an other time, we are taking bout your journey 2 a new change........not style tho I do love shoes!!!!! LOL who doesn't!!!!! HRM!!!!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    SHOES! I really don't see the need for a HRM at all unless you are an athlete that must train at certain BPM. I know alot of people like to have them to judge calories burned, but the shoes are going to contribute better to your fitness in the long run.
    Less injury and less pain means you will enjoy running/walking more and therefore less likely to quit.

Polar FT4 HRM!!!!!! shoes you can get an other time, we are taking bout your journey 2 a new change........not style tho I do love shoes!!!!! LOL who doesn't!!!!! HRM!!!!
    Sorry, but she's not talking about style, if her feet are going numb on the elliptical and having problems with shin splints if running outside.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    What about $50 shoes and a $60 HRM instead of $110+ shoes? If you aren't running, I don't think you need uber fancy shoes. I usually go to the discount sport stores and try to stay under $50. And I just got a Polar FT4 off Amazon for $60.
  • glowingz
    glowingz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm convinced. I'm getting some new shoes! I was leaning that way anyway.
    The Polar waits for Christmas. :-)

Thanks everyone!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Shoes have nothing to do with the 'style' and everything about preventing injury and promoting comfort while running.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Shoes, they don't have to be expensive even just new and better fitting. The shoes prevent injury.

I've lost 72lbs in one year (last week was my 1 year mark) with NO HRM ;) So you don't need one to lose weight. I eat back only half my exercise calories to be sure I'm not over eating. I haven't hit a plateau yet!
  • lawin77
    lawin77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Famous footwear is having a BOGO sale right now. On Sunday I bought one training shoe and one pair of runners for $80 something. Which was a really good deal
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    My shoes cost me $45 and my FT7 cost me $70. If ya know how to shop on ebay I highly recommend it!! (<--where I got my HRM)
  • glowingz
    glowingz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What about $50 shoes and a $60 HRM instead of $110+ shoes? If you aren't running, I don't think you need uber fancy shoes. I usually go to the discount sport stores and try to stay under $50. And I just got a Polar FT4 off Amazon for $60.

This is a good suggestion too. I'll look into finding a better deal on shoes, and maybe I can buy both...
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    well it has to be shoes first as you cannot fun in a HRM can youand with a good pair you can do more workouts as you feel comfortable and go that extra but thats just my point if you look at what the others said you will see and after all we are all in this to get health and yes fit as well so all that you have to do is make your choice
  • JenGilronan
    JenGilronan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Shoes!
    I had an issue with my foot going numb with prolonged ellipitical... I actually starting changing up to a forward and backward movement.
    I would ride for 10-20 mins forward then switch to backward for 10-20 mins. Or switch every 5 mins... I felt it worked different muscles with the backwards motion as well....
    I didn't get the numbness I got with just doing a forward ride
  • lynnee46
    Options
    Shoes without a doubt! Once your shoes start to wear they give you less support and therefore injuries. Buy a new pair but use your old ones a couple of times per week to give your new shoes chance to recover. I have a pair for outside running and an older pair for on the treadmill. I agree with tameko2, don't always go for this year's model of shoes as you can get some great deals on older models.
    I use a Polar F11 and although the heart rate is usually correct it does tend to be rather generous on the calories. You can do a test to work out your VO2 max which is useful to gain your percentage HR. Consider a second hand HRM from ebay but never buy second hand trainers. Have a look at other makes of HRM as you do tend to pay for the name with Polar.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Ebay also sells new stuff not just second hand. I bought my FT7 for $70 brand new in box with everything. Just a thought.