Anyone had good results with 20/4 fasting?

Options
michaelfox621
michaelfox621 Posts: 4 Member
edited August 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Hi guys, I'm Mike from Manchester, UK. Need to get my lazy self in gear and get in decent shape. I want abs for Christmas haha. Does anyone have experience with intermittent fasting, 20/4 fasting? I've just started a couple days ago. Much love.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I have done IF. I had great success - I successfully lost weight doing IF, I successfully maintained my weight doing IF and I also successfully gained weight (purposefully) doing IF.

I follow an IF style eating pattern when it suits my lifestyle. Achieving my goals comes down to my calorie intake and making sure that I ate an amount appropriate to my goals - when I ate wasn't important besides helping me stick to a deficit a bit better.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have experience with intermittent fasting, 20/4 fasting? I've just started a couple days ago. Much love.

20/4 is my IF of choice, but I generally only do IF 2-3 times a week of which one of them will probably be a 16/8.

Missing breakfast and lunch and then eating at 6pm when I feed the kiddy and then my own dinner at 8pm - bed at 10 works well for me keeping the calories low

however ... working in an office environment where people bring in food, want to go to lunch and of course work stress means it can get mentally hard by about 3pm.

fortunately I work out at 5am fasted, so I have plenty of glycogen from the previous night to power me along .... I quite often feel weak on my rides home from work at the end of the day ... BUT BUT BUT ... is the ride home I get most of my Strava PRs so I guess I cant be lacking that much energy

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, you need to eat less - it sounds so simple and it is, it makes people annoyed, but you also have to do it for real, consistently, and for a long time (forever if you want to keep the weight off), and that's where it starts to get a bit tricky. So if you want success, block out noise, and eat in a way (food choices, meal timing) that makes it as easy for you as possible, not as hard for you as possible, to eat less.
  • fruitily
    fruitily Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Is it sustainable for you? Meaning, will you continue eating like this when you've lost the weight? Ultimately IF is just another way to eat less or the same amount of calories as you use. If this is a way for you to manage this, go for it, just remember that there is no shame in evaluating and changing your method if it doesn't work.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm Mike from Manchester, UK. Need to get my lazy self in gear and get in decent shape. I want abs for Christmas haha. Does anyone have experience with intermittent fasting, 20/4 fasting? I've just started a couple days ago. Much love.

IF is an eating style, not a diet.

to lose weight you just need a consistent calorie deficit.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It can be a useful strategy if it helps you control your calorie intake and stick to your goal. Beyond that, it doesn't matter what time of the day you consume your calories. Some people succeed eating many small meals per day, others find success in fewer, larger meals over a shorter eating period. Let personal preference be your guide, as meal timing is irrelevant.