Newbie :)

Options
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new here. I'm a college sophomore so sometimes I find it hard to eat healthy especially when I'm basing everything around dining hall food and things I can cook myself. I'm hoping to find some support, maybe from other college students (and others!) so that I can finally lose the weight I've been wanting to lose for a while. My goal is to lose about 20 pounds in the end. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it! and i'd love to meet some new people :)

Best,
Cori

Replies

• czx7
    czx7 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm pretty new here. I'm a college sophomore so sometimes I find it hard to eat healthy especially when I'm basing everything around dining hall food and things I can cook myself. I'm hoping to find some support, maybe from other college students (and others!) so that I can finally lose the weight I've been wanting to lose for a while. My goal is to lose about 20 pounds in the end. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it! and i'd love to meet some new people :)

Best,
    Cori
  • MDF08
    MDF08 Posts: 57
    Options
    Welcome! This is a GREAT site!

Just remember that it took time to put on, it'll take time to take off. We lose a lot of our focus when we forget to be patient :flowerforyou:
  • Kallison02
    Options
    Hey! I just joined this weekend. I'm a senior in college. I know what you are going through. I live in an apartment and it's tough using self control and buying groceries that are healthy. It was even harder the last three years when I had to try to make healthy choices at the cafeteria. I learned a good lesson today (the hard way), if you eat a snack, or even a few low calorie snacks between meals you won't be so tempted to eat bad at meal time. Here's a good tip: sugar free jello is only 10 calories. It's going to take away but if you stick with it, I know you can do it! :wink:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    hey!!! welcome to mfp!
    fellow college student here.

i know the dining halls are hard because they have tons of the unhealthiest food. it feels like people who try to eat well can't catch a break. The foods that i have been sticking to for the most part are salads, grilled chicken, deli sandwiches, and tons of fruits and veggies. remember that alcohol has TONS of calories.

count EVERYTHING that you eat, hit up the gym as often as possible, and you should be at your goal in no time.

best of luck!!!
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Welcome..I am I guess a sophmore.. I feel your pain with finding the time. I dont live on campus tho..I have my own house, and fam, so I have to cook for myself. All I can tell you is that I have a steamer from when I couldnt cook for myself that is amazing.
  • PixieFire
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to offer up a few suggestions to you all. First, stock up on fruit. Most fruit is very portable (easy to stash in your bag) and requires no cooking or prep. Aim for eating 3 pieces of fruit a day. That's only two for breakfast and one at lunch. The other thing you all might find helpful is to buy yourself a rice cooker. This is a great tool because you don't need a stove, and most of them come with a steaming basket for veggies or whatever. You may be surprised at how many recipes you can make right in the rice cooker (no other pots or pans needed!). Hope this helps!

-Pixie
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so motivational, helpful, supportive, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.
  • czx7
    czx7 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice and support!

i definitely love this site already :)