Weight loss and fatigue

Options
Hey y'all,
I've been working out and eating healthy for the last 6 weeks. Sticking to my daily caloric intake is manageable, so is being consistant with my workout. However, I started suffering experiencing fatigue even though I get enough sleep (8h min), eat enough (1500kcal a day).
Did any of you experienced this fatigue? How do you overcome it ?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what are your stats? what is your workout regime?

how big a deficit is 1500 cals?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    ^^^

All that above is important. Deficit along with the length and intensity of workouts can impact recovery and general fatigue/mood/energy levels. If you have a more aggressive loss goal, the earlier it can creep up on you.

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Are you taking a rest day/varying your workout? I doing the same thing on successive days is counter-productive as it compounds the wear of the previous day without giving recovery time. I still work out in some way at least 5 days out of 7, but if I've done a long cardio routine one day, I'll do more toning/weight work the next. On the day I have a really long workout (2 classes back to back, and often walking there and back so 2 hours of cardio) I don't do a workout other than my usual routine (walk to work and back, cook dinner etc). Varying your workout also speeds up weight loss, or so I found.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    what are your stats? what is your workout regime?

how big a deficit is 1500 cals?

On top of this, are you eating back at least some of your exercise calories?
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    If you are honestly fatigued, you might want to talk to your Dr. about a sleep study. I had it and found out through a sleep study that I stopped breathing 40 times a night, had restless leg and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I had no idea. I don't have obstructive sleep apnea, which will go away after you lose weight, but centralized sleep apnea which means my brain doesn't tell my body to breathe.
    There are, of course, other reasons - you might want to have your Dr check your Vit D levels and your B12 levels - if low, either one can make you feel tired. Just some other possibilities.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate, details we need to make suggestions:

Height and current weight
    How much of a deficit is 1500 cals/how much weight are you losing per week
    Are you logging your exercise and eating back some of those calories?
    What is and how long do you exercise?
    How long has the fatigue been going on?

A reasonable calorie deficit and reasonable, well-fueled exercise should not generally cause fatigue.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by fatigue? Are you sleepy or your body is tired/sore/weak?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Along with the other posters in the thread, I'm curious about the size of your deficit. It's important not to be taxing your body unnecessarily by too aggressive a deficit for many reasons.

I live with fatigue that comes along for the ride from several medical conditions. I fight it by staying active throughout the day. It's the only thing I've found that works.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I feel fatigued often. I figure it's a combination of my deficit (500cal per day), and my full-on job. I also have some hormone imbalances that I'm being treated for, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. It hasn't improved, if anything it's been worse while losing weight (I figure that's to do with the deficit- less energy in- but I'm no expert on these things).

I just try to go to bed at a reasonable time, and get enough hours sleep. Coffee is my friend. Sometimes a walk can help.
  • Icrizz
    Icrizz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Have you had any blood work done? Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can make you feel fatigued. Examples being vit D, magnesium, vit b12 (everyone should take this supplement anyways tbh. Over 50% of Americans are deficient)
  • donnapal79
    donnapal79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel fatigued often. I figure it's a combination of my deficit (500cal per day), and my full-on job. I also have some hormone imbalances that I'm being treated for, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. It hasn't improved, if anything it's been worse while losing weight (I figure that's to do with the deficit- less energy in- but I'm no expert on these things).

I just try to go to bed at a reasonable time, and get enough hours sleep. Coffee is my friend. Sometimes a walk can help.

Hormone imbalances definitely can cause fatigue. 7 to 10 days before my TOM I have major fatigue issues that can come and go. Some months are better than others.