Excited for family to visit, not excited about eating out

Options
Ever since I moved into maintenance, eating out has lost its appeal, because I can make a much much healthier just as tasty version of nearly anything I could order off the menu.

I try to look ahead at options, but eating out for lunch and dinner usually leaves me with not enough protein and way too much salt. I also feel bad ordering a 13-15$ salad which usually is so-so. My family doesn't visit often so I realize they enjoy taking me out to places when they do visit. I do plan on cooking at least one meal for them.

Hoping the weather is nice to do lots of hiking and perhaps go on some early morning runs for some more wiggle room.

Do other people revamp their food habits when family visits or have any tricks to stay on track?

Replies

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    @tbright1965 I have never asked for subbing in saute veggies for rice, which is a great idea. At my favorite mexican restaurant I usually find that I wish the veggie portion was twice the size and I would happily skip the rice and beans.

@kommodevaran and yes I am definitely a food snob when it comes to what I am willing to bank up calories for rather than eating a nice meal at home
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue eating out. I do better when I can cook my own meals at home because it is easier to keep it healthy and avoid hidden fat and salt. We went on vacation last week, I ate carefully, but still came home with 3 extra pounds.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat at home, but have learned to roll with it when I need to eat out. Here’s my trick, the night before I steam a bunch of small red potatoes and I’ll eat 5-6 right before I leave for the restaurant. Then I order a salad, no cheese with dressing on the side (and don’t eat the dressing). Im already partly full from pre-eating, so I don’t feel completed to overeat.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Same thing for me. Family visiting equals eating out more. I try to pregame for a meal at the restaurant, especially if it's Italian or doesn't have too many light options. I would eat a big bowl of salad greens, and then i will be ok with half of my entry or have fewer pizza slices, if that's the case.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    When my family gets together there are 28 of us, so we don't go out to eat. However, as a general rule I can find something to eat at most restaurants, particularly since places have gotten used to the "no bun" or "on lettuce" kind of requests...thank you all those gluten free people for making no bread trendy and easy!!!

If I can't find sides that are going to fit, then I just don't eat them and I plan not to eat them and order something the kids will like to take home so I'm not even tempted to eat them because in my brain they are already tagged as being for someone else. I have teenagers, so they love the leftovers and I'm not eating a bunch of calories that doesn't fit with my food goals, plus, restaurant portions are way bigger than I need and I can snack at home if I don't quite fill up.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Order the best options that you can and that is still appealing to you. Realisticly, once you reach your goal weight you will have to deal with going out to restaurant, so you have to include it in your diet if y ou expect it to last.

For example when I got out for breakfast, I need to have bacon hehe So i'll order eggs (If you get poached instead of over easy it's oil free - but personnaly I get scramble so I don't feel compelled to eat the bread) with bacon, eat only 2 pieces of bacon, and ask for fruits instead of potatoes.

For a more traditionnal lunch or dinner, ask for a side salad or steamed veggie instead of rice/potato/fries, with vinaigrette on the side if possible. Get something that's not fried or covered in sauces. If you really want that fried thing, get it anyway and eat only half. That way you won't feel like you wasted your night out and you'll enjoy yourself with your famly and friend.

Realisticly, you won't gain more than 1 pound if you eat a bit poorly for a week and then you'll be back on track.
    Keep in mind that restaurant food contain a lot of salt, so you might get on the scale and freakout over a 4 pound gain (We've unfortunatelly all been there!)... that you will shed in a few days
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I eat out. I eat salads first...then a bit of this and that but focus on very small portions. and up my exercise efforts.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I manage eating out a bit differently. I’ll order something tasty that seams a reasonable choice in terms of calories. Of course it comes in a huge portion and the plate will be worth 1200-2500 calories, right? I’ll sometimes share the meal with my wife. Another option is to “guesstimate” the calories and only eat a reasonable amount of the food on the plate. I know that isn’t accurate AT ALL but as others have said one day won’t derail you. It’s also a better approach than either avoiding restaurants all together or eating a huge meal and feeling guilty. Live life - just don’t eat too much. :)
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was on holiday with my family last week and it involved a LOT of eating out - and a lot of cake and snacks when we were back in our accommodation. I was pretty stressed about it before we went, and tried to log for the first couple of days. Then I stopped worrying about it and just enjoyed it for what it was - a few days where I had a change from my usual routine. Got back at the weekend and am now back to enjoying healthy home-cooked meals and going to the gym, and have some great holiday memories. After all the stressing about it I only gained 1lb, and most of that is probably water weight anyway. Even if it was 1lb of pure fat it was totally worth it for the lovely family times together.
    Not sure if that helps but thought I'd offer a different perspective :smile: there really is only so much 'damage' you can do in one meal.... just enjoy yourself!
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance since April/May and was initially very stressed because we typically go out to eat about once a week, and sometimes more, in the warmer months. But after the first few times out, the stress went away and I started enjoying myself. Now, I order what I want and savor every bite. To make up for it, I eat at a deficit during the week. Thus far, this has been working perfectly and I haven't gained any weight. (My math is still a touch off because I've unintentionally lost a pound each month, but I'm okay with that for now.)
  • ashleyrebekah392
    ashleyrebekah392 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My family eat out all of the time. Anytime my hub and I visit they wanna order out or go out to eat. I suggest cooking myself but they dont like that. So we go and I eat as healthy as I can. They always ask why don't I get what I usually do or whatever and I say I'm trying to eat fairly decent and they laugh at me. They are very unhealthy people so they don't get it but enjoy your meals, get what you want or choose healthier options. Enjoy the family time :) get your workouts in if possible and you will be just fine.
  • laban1ca
    laban1ca Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I eat out almost daily for work lunches (required when I'm at a client). I never order salads. My solution is just to look up the menu online ahead of time and see if they have available nutrition details. I typically pick whichever sounds good and will fit within my calorie budget for the day. Perhaps you could look up the menus of two or three restaurants ahead of time and then offer up those as suggestions for your family?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Eating out with friends and family is one of life's pleasures and it's not necessarily all about the food. I order something I like and stop eating when I've had enough so there's usually something left on my plate.
    Having said that, I came here to gain weight and am now maintaining, having reached my goal weight. So leaving food when I've had enough has never been a problem for me.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    When my family would come to visit I always cooked something.
    When I eat out I can find things that fitbmy goals okay so it really wouldn't be a big deal but I don't love going to restaurants often. I don't enjoy strangers making my food, dealing with ordering and eating around lots of people. Not my idea of fun or a treat. Nothing to do with weight loss.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    When I have visitors, I think carefully about where we will go. If it's available, I check out the menu online, and get it in my mind what I will order, so I don't study the menu and get tempted. I find that restaurants are usually pretty accommodating as long as you don't ask to restructure the whole dish. I always ask for salad dressing on the side, and ask them to hold the cheese on a salad. Sometimes I will order an appetizer as my main dish.
    When my husband and I go out, we might share an entrée and order an extra side or immediately ask for a to-go box and put half in the box.