How much exercise is too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like you are obsessing about it? I ask, because my sister exercises obsessively and she freaks out if she isn't working out for hours every day. She gets up at 2 am to make sure she gets her workout in. I think that is a problem. But, if you are healthy, and feel good, and are eating enough to sustain you, I see no problem.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    dmkoenig wrote: »
    Rest is an important component in any exercise regimen and gets more important as you age. In Joe Friel's book Fast After Fifty (yes I know you are not quite there yet) he summarizes the two most important keys to maintaining fitness as you get older are (1) incorporating High Intensity Training and (2) ensuring you get enough rest. As you age you just need more recovery time. Friel (Runners Training Bible, Triathletes Training Bible) is a big proponent of Periodized training - where you have 2-3 weeks of higher volume, higher intensity training followed by a week of reduced effort. That allows your body some time to recover and rebuild. That might be something you want to consider.

Another big believer in Friel's "Fast After Fifty" here. One thing I found interesting in FAF was the concept of going to a 9 day "week" that allows for more separation between higher intensity sessions, leading to better recovery.

OP, as a youngster of 48, you probably don't need this yet, but I've given it some serious thought. ;)
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you! I I have been away for a couple days and what a nice surprise to come back to all of your replies. I am taking a trip to visit my parents home and will take a break for a couple days to rejuvenate. Going to Mom and Dad’s automatically means an increase in calories!
  • HilTri
    Options
    GiddyupTim- you are speaking my language! I have experienced the dread and pushed through thinking that I would be better on the other side of my work out. Thanks for you post!
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I overdo all the time.
    Exercise is my relaxation, my meditation. So it is hard to take days off.
    I can do it too.
    But I know when I need to take a day off, because when I set off to do my activity that day, my run, my tennis, my lifting, I have a little tinge of dread.
    I mention this because I think sometimes we don't listen to that. We push through, right? Because exercise is always kind hard, and activities like running and lifting are about pushing through what is hard.
    But that dread. You have to listen to that subtle, niggling dread that is easy to ignore and think, "Oh, I'll be alright once I get started and I'll feel better when I am done."

This is me exactly! If I could exercise twice a day I would, I love it so much. On the flip side I have a really hard time listening to my body and I am pretty good and just working through it. I have learned the hard way and have dealt with overtraining issues and messing up my hormones. I have had to force myself to work out only four days a week and just have an active rest day on the other days. Keep in mind I also am a Kindergarten teacher and have a 3 and 4 year old. I could see myself doing more if my days were not so busy and crazy. I have realized that everyone is different and some people can handle much more then others.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    In terms of overtraining, the Ask A Cycling Coach podcast has talked about this a fair amount. It's also just a good podcast in general and given that you're interested in teaching spin classes some of the content more generally might be applicable. Their backlog of podcasts can be found on Soundcloud and Youtube (as well as on iTunes(.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Just make sure to stretch! I don't do this nearly enough. I am a bit of a workout junkie and enjoy it. But definitely take the time to do some disciplined stretching. Other than that, just listen to your body. If you need a recovery day or active recovery day, take one. Or if you have been going hard, go easier one day. Sometimes it's hard to hold back! But every day in a row doesn't need to be a quest to set a personal record. Not every training day is meant to go as hard as you can. You can still get in a great workout.

Or if you are running, pick a goal for the run - whether it's speed, distance, duration, etc. And not try to do all three at once. And just do you and tune out the noise of what anyone else says or thinks - your body, your workout! (But take the time to stretch!!)
  • HilTri
    Options
    Thanks divcara, the only time I have been stretching is during a cool down from a spin class. I need to stretch more, thanks for reminding me.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    I would be careful of injuries and adrenal fatigue. Unless you are doing sport specific training it is unnecessary to exercise more than 1 to 2 hrs a day and will ultimately do more harm then good in the
    Long run ( think bone density, muscle used as fuel )

Make sure you are properly fueling and hydrating yourself and be careful. If you want to do extra exercise I would stick to yoga/meditation or see a physio to work on imbalances rather then just doing cardio

Eh, I'm gonna go with a no on the "adrenal fatigue" bit.
    The term often shows up in popular health books and on alternative medicine websites, but it isn't an accepted medical diagnosis.
    (The Mayo Clinic)
    Numerous websites mention how to diagnose and treat adrenal fatigue. However, the Endocrinology Society and all the other medical specialties do not recognize this condition. The Endocrinologists are categorical: “no scientific proof exists to support adrenal fatigue as a true medical condition.”
    (Harvard Medical School)
    This systematic review proves that there is no substantiation that “adrenal fatigue” is an actual medical condition. Therefore, adrenal fatigue is still a myth.
    (Cadegiani, F. A., & Kater E. C.)

That was all from the first two pages of a Google search. Additionally if the OP eats enough she won't have to worry about using muscle as fuel. Meditation, while useful to some isn't going to do what spin classes will in terms of helping her become a spinning teacher (let alone actually teaching spinning classes which will see her exercising more than a few hours a day). This also isn't an issue of her wanting to do extra exercise for fun and games, it's wanting to reach a specific goal, with that goal being becoming a spin instructor - it's not about "working on imbalances" - or at least that was not discussed in any of the OPs posts in this thread.
  • H2OisGood
    H2OisGood Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    HilTri wrote: »
    Wow! Thanks for all of your support. It is nice to have like minded people as a sounding board. Thank you. Drive on!
    Wow! Thanks for all of your support. It is nice to have like minded people as a sounding board. Thank you. Drive on!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,037 Member
    Options
    moogie_fit wrote: »
    I would be careful of injuries and adrenal fatigue. Unless you are doing sport specific training it is unnecessary to exercise more than 1 to 2 hrs a day and will ultimately do more harm then good in the
    Long run ( think bone density, muscle used as fuel )

Make sure you are properly fueling and hydrating yourself and be careful. If you want to do extra exercise I would stick to yoga/meditation or see a physio to work on imbalances rather then just doing cardio

So national team (Olympic) athletes, who work out way more than 2 hours a day (at least in some training phases), are all kinda sick and depleted. OK.

Must be the ones I've known are the exceptions.

Or are you saying "sport specific" motivation is magically the exception? Even at age 60+ I can work my way up to 2+ hours a day of pretty vigorous effort, without negative consequences.

P.S. "Adrenal fatigue"? LOL. If you don't want to be active for many hours daily, that's fine: It's not essential for basic health/fitness.

My immediate forbears were subsistence farmers, including in the era of no tractors. They worked like demons every day, and lived well into their 80s. A few spin classes isn't going to kill OP.
  • mrslynda
    mrslynda Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi, my first thought when I read this was 'That's just too much!' . But then I thought about it and when you look at what people do with active jobs, it's not that much. I agree with almost everyone's advice. I do think you need to make sure you eat and drink enough to fuel your activity. I think it's great you have found something you enjoy doing :smiley:
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great discussion and insights!!!!!
  • HilTri
    Options
    I agree, great insights and points for me to consider. Thanks for your replies. BTW I am visiting my family and took a day off and I may take another off. I do feel recharged!
  • HilTri
    Options
    BTW, I see an endocrinologist for hypothyroidism. She has never mentioned anything about adrenal fatigue.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It's really never "too much" unless you feel it is. I walk 20K steps/day; lift 4x/week and 5 years ago I may have said that's too much but instead, because I'm adding to my routine SLOWLY, I'm finding the walking isn't enough and now that I'm lean I prefer to walk some and run 20... it's really what you're comfortable with and unless this is your first week what you add and take away isn't anyone's concern but yours.

ETA: When I first started my goal was 7k steps, lifting 3x/week and I would probably have eaten you if you suggested running for 5 minutes muchless 20
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    BTW, I see an endocrinologist for hypothyroidism. She has never mentioned anything about adrenal fatigue.

Thats a good thing that she didn't mention adrenal fatigue, as it is a fake disease, only "diagnosed" by quacks, such as naturopaths and chiropractors. Adrenal fatigue was invented by a chiroquacktor in the late 90s, it's pure pseudoscientific nonsense.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options

Great then ask your doctor's for advice. Not random ppl on the internet.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body: if you feel that you're constantly tired and your performance goes down then stop for a while. I've been in overtraining once, and it took me 8 weeks to feel normal again and to be able to work out (much less) again.