Intermittent Fasting

Options
I just started doing this on Sunday evening this week. Here is my schedule so far.

Day 1 of Intermittent Fasting was 4 on 20 off, Day 2 it was 6 on and 18 off. Day 3 yesterday it was 4 on and just ate so roughly 21 off. My window for eating will be 9 hours until 7:30pm.

Down 4 lbs so far most has to be water but I feel great and only had hunger pangs this morning but they went away after drinking coffee.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    IF is just an eating style, not a diet. If you're losing weight it's because you're in a calorie deficit.
  • thaevilgenius
    thaevilgenius Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My IF diet is going well as it has always been my diet to skip dinner so I only eat 2 meals
  • QPR1953
    QPR1953 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat from noon until 8pm. I have also swapped to a mainly plant based diet. By doing this I have lost 3 and half stones since January. Initially the fasting was a bit difficult but my body is used to it now and I feel so much better for it!
  • Angela49andHolding
    Options
    This is my second day, I'm down 2 pounds. I'm doing the 16/8. I eat 9 to 5. While eating I'm following the Adkins diet also. Too much? I feel good though.
  • shawna1123
    shawna1123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m trying it. I like it so far. 10-6. Except I can’t give up my coffee ☹️
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    QPR1953 wrote: »
    I eat from noon until 8pm. I have also swapped to a mainly plant based diet. By doing this I have lost 3 and half stones since January. Initially the fasting was a bit difficult but my body is used to it now and I feel so much better for it!

This is what I do except my schedule is more like 1:30 to 9 PM. I do it to more calorie restrict rather than for IF reasons but it works well for me. I workout every day at lunch and don't eat until after my workout. I eat a solid lunch, no snacks ideally or if I do, a few nuts/seeds or some fruit and then a healthy (and pretty high calorie dinner) and then, perhaps one snack at night. IF, for me, isn't about losing weight. It's more about eliminating snacks, breakfast that I never really crave and more efficient fat burning when I row.
  • Angela49andHolding
    Options
    Thank you. I'll read up on keto!
  • Stud47
    Stud47 Posts: 389 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi my friends

I'm 48 yo man and today is Day 5 of intermittent fasting (IF). I'm doing 20/4 IF and really like it.
    I started IF on monday 6th, i was 186 lbs, today i'm 184 lbs

I lost 2 lbs so far in 4 days. No hunger, not tired and i feel very well. Yesterday i had to work at my office late until 6:30PM so i did 22,5 / 1,5 instead of 20/4.

see you
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Raf702 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    Incorporating IF with Keto, is even more effective to the weight/fat loss. As for IF, I do 20/4; 4-hr eating window of 2p-6pm.

But since I incorporate Keto with IF. I’m able to remain satiated till the next day. That’s another topic of discussion since this is thread is on IF.

Please post links to studies that support that assertion. I've done IF for years. It is just an eating schedule. If it help a person hit their calorie target, great. But it doesn't have any special properties for fat loss.

I don’t have links to scientific studies, this is based on personal experience and others who follow similar IF. I’m sharing my experience to help/encourage others. We all have different body structures, metabolisms, health related concerns, goals, etc. My initial response wasn’t intended to be scientifically proven. Many of us here aren’t nutritionist, scientists, etc. Sharing info and experience is what helps each other. I appreciate your insight though. 👍

So, I can see by your post count that you have been around for awhile but don't post often. The whole "my personal experience and that of people I know" thing doesn't hold much water.

There is lots of research on IF. Search PubMed of you want to see what I mean. These claims of greater fat loss are not demonstrated in studies and fat/weight loss generally track with CI being less that CO.

I would disagree on the sharing personal experience being beneficial. There is too much confirmation bias and subjective judgement. That is why people look more to studies and meta analyses for proof sources. It represents evidence as opposed to interpretation or feels. Just sayin'...
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Incorporating IF with Keto, is even more effective to the weight/fat loss. As for IF, I do 20/4; 4-hr eating window of 2p-6pm.

But since I incorporate Keto with IF. I’m able to remain satiated till the next day. That’s another topic of discussion since this is thread is on IF.

Please post links to studies that support that assertion. I've done IF for years. It is just an eating schedule. If it help a person hit their calorie target, great. But it doesn't have any special properties for fat loss.

I don’t have links to scientific studies, this is based on personal experience and others who follow similar IF. I’m sharing my experience to help/encourage others. We all have different body structures, metabolisms, health related concerns, goals, etc. My initial response wasn’t intended to be scientifically proven. Many of us here aren’t nutritionist, scientists, etc. Sharing info and experience is what helps each other. I appreciate your insight though. 👍

So, I can see by your post count that you have been around for awhile but don't post often. The whole "my personal experience and that of people I know" thing doesn't hold much water.

There is lots of research on IF. Search PubMed of you want to see what I mean. These claims of greater fat loss are not demonstrated in studies and fat/weight loss generally track with CI being less that CO.

I would disagree on the sharing personal experience being beneficial. There is too much confirmation bias and subjective judgement. That is why people look more to studies and meta analyses for proof sources. It represents evidence as opposed to interpretation or feels. Just sayin'...

👍
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Yep, most of us are crappy at sussing out cause and effect. People make lots of big and small changes, some oft hem even subconscious, and then allow personal experience, bias, and emotion to give all the credit to one thing. "Different things work for different people" because there are lots of ways to get into a calorie deficit, whether you are trying to or not. A person will stop snacking between meals, start walking on their lunch break, and cut out diet soda, and when they lose weight they'll give the credit to cutting out diet soda because someone else told them it worked for them. It doesn't make it right or useful, it's just coincidence and confirmation bias.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yep, most of us are crappy at sussing out cause and effect. People make lots of big and small changes, some oft hem even subconscious, and then allow personal experience, bias, and emotion to give all the credit to one thing. "Different things work for different people" because there are lots of ways to get into a calorie deficit, whether you are trying to or not. A person will stop snacking between meals, start walking on their lunch break, and cut out diet soda, and when they lose weight they'll give the credit to cutting out diet soda because someone else told them it worked for them. It doesn't make it right or useful, it's just coincidence and confirmation bias.

Exactly! I'm a software quality engineer. I know how to trouble-shoot one variable at a time. And I still address problems in real life by making a bunch of changes, observing that the problem resolves, and picking one change as the reason. (And 9 times out of 10 the problem returns somewhere down the road because I didn't actually address the root cause.)