Bellydancing workout??

Options
I was joking aout bellydancing with some of the girls at work. . . but now I think I'd like to try it!

Has anyone tried this before, or could recommend a good video or something?
=D

Personally I think I'll make one HECK of a bellydancer! =D

Replies

• kellyshay
    kellyshay Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My friend at work did it and said it was a better workout than Zumba, she loves it. They do a class at my gym but havent ventured as yet - I love my Zumba too much!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    bump; that sounds fun (and my husband would love it, lol)
  • dancer4275
    dancer4275 Posts: 149
    Options
    No. but I've always wanted to! Haha...seriously. I know people that have done it and it is an AMAZING workout! Shakira used to be a belly dancer and that's why her stomach is so fab and not flab! Go for it!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I love bellydancing and have taken several classes, for a good workout dvd Neena and Veena have good bellydancing exercise dvd's I am also a big fan of rachel brice, though her dances are more for toning and form. Check out amazon there are tons out there.
  • tjames719
    tjames719 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a beginners DVD for bellydancing and absolutely luv it...
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I've tried it a couple of times, GREAT for the abs!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Bump Im interested in this too
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    NEENA AND VEENA!!! Best workout videos! Try to find a set called Veena and Neena Present Bellydance Fitness for Beginners. My set has four videos, and it is a really intense workout.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I tried it, it's a great ab workout but it's not a lot of cardio - I'd be very surprised if it was actually a bigger calorie burn than zumba or other aerobics.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    LOVE BELLYDANCING! Never really considered it for weight loss, but it's a lot of fun.
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options
    Ok, heres the scoop. My gf is a pro bellydancer. She also spends a lot of time at the gym. I have been to see her perform lots of times. There are other bellydancers performing too. And i gotta be hones with you. 90% of the pro bellydancing community are very heavy! The woman who took 2nd place in the Washington state competition is at least 100lbs over weight. I wish my computer was up and running, cuz id be able to post some pics. Bellydancing, in my opinion is a competition sport for heavy women. Sorry to be so blunt.
    On the other hand, you will build muscles that will make your signifigant other very happy.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    A lot of my Zumba routines have bellydancing. I think its a great workout. It works out your whole torso and its great. I do a lot of Bollywood type stuff but I would definitely try it.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    It's not really my thing but those women have belly muscles of steel.

When I was at uni the bellydance troupe joined in with the main university dance troupe I was a member of for a combined show. All but the leader (who was way underweight) were really heavy girls. But one of them invited me to touch her stomach (think I'd asked if it was a good work out or something, there must have been some context!!) and it was so weird - there was all the soft flubber you'd expect in someone so big but underneath that - rock hard!!
  • vemaddox
    vemaddox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have one....its called the Goddess workout...its ok mainly alot of fun...still feel great after doing it and does get heartrate up
  • sarahemily86
    sarahemily86 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you have access to ExerciseTV, I know they have some belly dancing workouts on there.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Ok, heres the scoop. My gf is a pro bellydancer. She also spends a lot of time at the gym. I have been to see her perform lots of times. There are other bellydancers performing too. And i gotta be hones with you. 90% of the pro bellydancing community are very heavy! The woman who took 2nd place in the Washington state competition is at least 100lbs over weight. I wish my computer was up and running, cuz id be able to post some pics. Bellydancing, in my opinion is a competition sport for heavy women. Sorry to be so blunt.
    On the other hand, you will build muscles that will make your signifigant other very happy.

I agree there are a lot of heavier women doing this, but imagine how toned they are underneath, remember body is made by 85% diet and 15% exercise, so they are getting an awesome workout but they negate that with their diet. So bellydance on! it is great exercise and can be very intense. Just make sure you don't undo your hard work with a big mac. Also Look at Rachel Brice on youtube tell me that what she does is a heavy womans sport.
  • Fleshandlace
    Fleshandlace Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your insights guys! My friend and I are order the V&N dvd set. =D

I think it will be alot of fun, and it will be something I can enjoy with my S.O., for sure =P

I am at work from 10-14hrs a day, I obviously don't have time for the gym right now I am only dieting. But I think this would be a great and fun way to get my heart rate up around the house. Maybe even to do while cleaning or something LOL

As far as that guy who said alot of the belly dancers he's seen being overwieght.. . . well so am I LOL and I'm not looking to compete anytime soon in something that wiggles my wobbly parts around hahah.