Weight loss with IBD

Options
Hi all, I have a lot of weight to lose but was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in March 2017. Being on steroids, I have gained more weight. I struggle with too much fibre and haven’t been out of a flare yet so foods are still rial and error. Hoping to start Humira soon. Any one in the same boat? I’d love some support from someone who understands the struggles x

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Augh steroids are the worst. I have crohns disease, but I deal with the opposite problem of losing too much weight. It took me 1.5 years to gain 40+ pounds, with a lot of heavy lifting. It's hard either way!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Oh and I took humira for 4 years. It works really well, but everyone is different.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's (and Gastroparesis) but not trying to lpse. I'm currently on Humira plus other things
  • MuffintopGem
    MuffintopGem Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm interested the same boat....got a stone of steroid weight to lose after a 12 week course after diagnosis in Dec 17. I'm due my 4th Humira infusion June 4th.....on mesalazine 3 times a day and just finished immunosuppressant tablets as I was constantly sick. Going in the right direction but still very much at trial and error stage for food. Feel free to add me
  • MzCara148
    MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Another UCer here. I was diagnosed back in 2001 but I was pretty stable until about 3 years ago. In 2015 I was on 60mg of prednisone for about 6 months and put on 50 lbs. I managed to take it off then in 2016 I was on pred again for about 8 months, put on another 50 that I hadn't taken off before I spent another 8 months on pred again in 2017. Now my UC is under control with humira and imuran but I have 100 lbs of pred weight I have to loose. I'm working on it though - down about 36 so far.

Feel free to add me if you are looking for IBD friends.
  • Katie188737
    Katie188737 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have a lot of weight to lose but was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in March 2017. Being on steroids, I have gained more weight. I struggle with too much fibre and haven’t been out of a flare yet so foods are still rial and error. Hoping to start Humira soon. Any one in the same boat? I’d love some support from someone who understands the struggles x

• Katie188737
    Katie188737 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m 17 and I was diagnosed with Crohns when I was around 13. My weight fluctuates so right now I’m also trying to lose weight. I’ve been taking Humira since summer 2016 and it works really well. It stings a lot but I cough to distract myself and it works sooo much :) good luck
  • andi_83
    andi_83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also a UCer here with endometriosis. Trying to lose the weight I’m gaining from the low reside diet. I end up eating a ton of carbs with root veggies and they are making me a little sluggish with constipation. Feel free to add me