Is it ever ok to eat less than1200 calories a day?

Options
I have always heard that you should never go below 1200 calories a day or your metabolism freaks out, thinks you’re starving, and slows down. But what if you are short? Is it ok to eat 1100 or 1000 calories a day?

Replies

• lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor what you should weigh or visit the government's site and plug in your height and activity level ( just like on MVP). I did that and found that the govt site mirrored MFP's. As well, consider going to a registered dietitian for diet advice from a trained person, instead of a 'nutritionist' which anyone can say they are.
  • GreatNeckVBMom
    GreatNeckVBMom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the tips.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    As the odd day here and there, probably fine. On a regular basis, no.

I personally think even 1200 is far too low for the majority of people. If you stats and maintenance calories are fairly low I'd recommend a smaller deficit for a slower loss, rather than the automatic 1200 MFP seems to put so many people on (despite a lot of people's BMR being higher than that)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How short? You'd have to be toddler size to get enough nutrition eating below 1200.

Your metabolism just is, it doesn't think or feel. Your weight goes up and down according to your real calorie intake over time. How long do you think you can starve yourself without wanting to EAT ALL THE FOODS? How easy do you think it will be to not EAT ALL THE FOODS when they're right in front of you, and you are starving? What do you think happens when you EAT ALL THE FOODS?
  • klorben
    klorben Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Stupid question— but does “eating 1200” mean net calories or calories overall? My goal is set about 1350— I consistently eat that and maybe a little over, but with exercise I most often net under 1200 each day. Should I still at least be netting 1200 every day?