Do you consume all the calories myfitnesspal shows?

Options
Do you consume all the 1200 calorie shown on myfitnesspal? Should I create a calorie deficit in order to lose weight? What about the exercise calories?
I used to consume about 1000 calories or even less. But, over the course of time I understood it is not sustainable. I don't get the energy to do my workouts.
Please help me on how I should be calculating the calories.
I'm 158cm & weighs 86Kg.

I had become 64Kg through vigorous diet & exercise. But gained it all back plus more when I stopped exercise and started eating regularly.

Now, I need to do this in a sustainable manner so that I keep the weight off and also have enough energy.

Replies

• AndyWR72
    AndyWR72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've got this message a couple of times when completing my diary:

'Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are likely not eating enough.

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

Completing your diary with fewer than the minimum calories noted above will not generate a news feed post for that day, or show a five-week weight projection.

Even during weight loss, it's important to meet your body's basic nutrient and energy needs. Over time, not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects & other serious health problems.

To safely meet your goals:

Focus on consuming nutrient-rich foods and beverages
    Check your progress in MyFitnessPal throughout the day
    Add nutritious snacks between meals as needed'
  • Angieve1
    Angieve1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey with the help of MFP I was allowed a whooping 1860 Calories with loosing 1 pound a week. I was stoke and realise really fast that I wasn't going to be able to sustain that much calories so I lowered it by going to 2 lbs a week and was then at 1640 calories a day. I lost 60 lbs since then and I put back my weight lost to 1 lb a week and now have 1460 calories per day. I plan ahead and stick to my plan and eat between 1300 to 1400 calories sustainably. As long as you find food that you feel full eating and that doesn't make you go bonker on calories and maccros then good for you :smiley: I used to love pasta and would eat them almost every other day. Now I eat fish ( everyday)and spaghetti squash and alternate with sweet potato and fill my plate with nurishing veggies and lean protein. Sweet potatoes with a bit a cinnamon is also to die for. I do not eat back my calories from excercise unless I feel famish after a long day outside. To each their own :smiley:
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I eat my base calories and at least half my exercise calories.

MFP gives you a deficit when you give it your stats. 1200 is the absolute minimum it will give a woman, 1500 a man. In general, unless you're very short and very sedentary, you shouldn't be eating less. You're a couple of centimeters shorter than I am and with about 18KG to lose, you should probably have MFP set to 0.5Kg/week max. (I'm currently set for 1/2lb, slightly under 0.25kg, because I'm closer to goal and MFP gave me 1360). If it's only giving you 1200, it could be that your weekly target is a bit too aggressive.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    typically eat the full allotment. you should eat at least 1200 if you are female, 1500 if you are male. that's typically the minimum.

if you burn some exercising, try to eat at least half of them back. your body needs fuel.

mfp already figures out a deficit for you.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat the full 1200 calories PLUS any exercise calories.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

I’ve never understood this...doesn’t that defeat the purpose of doing the exercise?
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Your base calories are the minimum you need to still lose weight and stay healthy.

Most days I can stay just under my base calories and not be hungry. Lately however I have increased my exercise and have started to eat a portion of my exercise calories back because I am hungry.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I see. I have a lot to lose so I usually don’t eat them back — I sometimes do, though.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I eat my full 1400 calories buuuut sometime up to 160 less of that. Never eat my exercise calories.
    If I am not hungry (which is what I am respecting) I focus out of food.
  • TeamNemesisSteve
    TeamNemesisSteve Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I try to eat all of the calories and some days I go over them but I’m just going into my Calories burned.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I try to eat under, but not too far under, my goal calories, including exercise. I don't worry so much about being exact, as long as I'm near. Too much attention to detail would frustrate me.
    I’ve never understood this...doesn’t that defeat the purpose of doing the exercise?
    You can exercise to gain cardio or strength. You just need to eat your calories back to maintain your MFP goal.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if you do not eat your exercise calories, you are putting yourself at risk for health issues, and potential binging
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    In January I started exactly like you - 158 cm, 87 kg- and myfitness pal gave me about 1500-1550 calories. I ate them all, and most of my exercise calories (I use a fitbit). Some days I ate less, some days more, the days that I eat more are "balanced" by the days I eat less, so my weekly calorie goal was mostly met, including exercise calories. Now I'm at 69kg, my goal calories are 1360 and I continue doing the same, because it's working, and sustainable for me.

I think your goal is too hard, maybe you should set up an easier goal - and eat your calories. You will lose more slowly, but it will be better for your health in the long run, and easier for you, which means you are more likely to stick to it.
    Good luck!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I eat my calories BUT i don't log lifting as exercise, i don't log steps at home/work/if i walk to work. I log extra exercise that i do purposely to burn calories, and yes, i eat those too. Losing on about 1760 cals a day. I'm set to lose 1 pound a week.

Im about the same weight as you. I don't want to drop too quickly and lose muscle and whatnot. Did that before and i had the same body, just smaller. This time i'm going to look GOOD.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!