Cheating for everything (ish)

Options
Storm985
Storm985 Posts: 44 Member
Just wondered what everyone else does.

So, when I weigh myself (scales aren’t great) I write down the lowest of the weights.

When I measure myself, I hold the tape measure tight.

The theory being is that if I 'cheat' each time, I avoid fluctuations caused by inaccurate measuring and overall I’m more likely to be accurate because I can’t sometimes measure loose and sometimes tight.

I may be overthinking this. :smile:

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a day.

My husband does my skinfolds and I tell him to pinch hard - if he is trying to be nice and pinches too light, i get to a point where the numbers don't change much because he hasn't been pinching properly and that's demotivating to me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with measurements. I tend to hold it tighter around my waist and looser around my hips/glutes. I think as long as you are consistent that is the main thing. In the end, for me, photos and the mirror are my main ways to measure progress (although for some people that can be skewed as well..)

I also use a trend weight app and it sorts through the noise for me, high, low, it doesn't care and (usually) tells it like it is.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I measured today and as I was measuring my waist, I realized I was sucking it in, 2 inches difference, I then realized I was still holding back. All told the difference was 3.5 inches. I'd rather know the reality of what I'm dealing with.

I weigh daily and use a trending app, measure monthly, and pictures monthly.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I weigh once per day and my scale uploads it via wi-fi to a weight trending app, which plots my long-term trend. I measure using a Myo-tape, so the tape tension is the exact same every time. Takes the guesswork out of it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I weigh once per day and my scale uploads it via wi-fi to a weight trending app, which plots my long-term trend. I measure using a Myo-tape, so the tape tension is the exact same every time. Takes the guesswork out of it.

Huh, I never knew... The things I've learned here. (Thanks for the recommendation to keep my Omegas in the fridge too, very minimal on the fish burps)
  • Storm985
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Weight fluctuations are going to happen regardless. That's how the body works. Watch the overall trend to make sure it's going the way you want it to.

Or course! I cheat so that (as far as is possible) the fluctuations are down to my body and not also due to dodgy weighing and measuring.

I also weigh every morning and use happy scale (sadly a little bit of red is appearing - I’m sure it’s a blip...)
  • cpkretz1
    cpkretz1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My scale fluctuates, but I believe the highest number is the real number. Unfortunately, that is the one I'd go with. That said, right now, while I weighed myself to start, I don't want to weigh myself at all. Instead, I want to follow that note that displays at the bottom of the page when you type in what you ate for the day that reads "If you eat like this for 5 weeks, you will weigh X pounds." And then keep track of when 5 weeks is and weigh yourself then. For me this is not a race, it is a return to my old way of life, a healthier way of life. I think (and this is just for me), if you spend your life worrying how much you weigh instead of just trying to be healthier and more active -- the weight will come off! I joined this site because I read an article about a girl who joined this site who was around 284 lbs and she is now around 140 lbs and a personal trainer. That's what guided her and she looks AMAZING and, above all, happy! That's my goal! Amazing and happy!
  • Storm985
    Options
    Taking the heaviest weight each time is the same difference. In a way it does not matter what the scale says, as long as the trend is going down. I only do it to save the fluctuations caused by inaccurate measuring - by taking the lightest/ smallest each time!
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I can't take measurements because I can never remember where exactly I measured the previous time. The waist is easy because I use my bellybutton. But hips are impossible, half a cm up or down in terms of where I put the tape measure results in wildly different results.

Now I just weigh myself daily and take photos.

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I make sure my scale is on a solid surface. Check the scale by weighing my dumbells every now and again. Weigh every morning, take the first weight shown. I use a trending app to map the fluctuations, I have found this keeps me on track better as I can see the date that I should reach my goal and I don't like it when it adds a month or two so it is keeping me accountable.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I think the idea of measurements is snug but not constricting or sagging.