88 pounds in 8 months!

Options
rcameron55
rcameron55 Posts: 27 Member
edited August 2018 in Success Stories
Let me just start this off by saying. I have dreamed about the day I could post my own success story. I never thought it would happen. I’ve tried and tried to diet for years. Since I was about 14 and I am now about to be 21. I always failed. This year I was tired of being overweight and tired of feeling so insecure. So I shrunk my stomach naturally. I ate small portions through out the day. Cut out the junk and soda completely. I can finish a lean cuisine now and it will make me feel full. It was hard to get to this point. But I knew I wanted to get the gastric bypass but I wanted to try it naturally. Well now I’m here and I have done it myself. I haven’t worked out any. I do a lot of physical activity at my work (nursing home). So my body is not toned and I know I’d be smaller than I am if I was toned. I am very upset in that area. But I’m hoping it’s not to late to change that. If anyone has any tips or feedback on tightening my skin let me know. I am 5’8 and I am currently 178. Hoping to get some updated photos soon.

[edited by MFP mods]

Replies

• PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Awesome congrats!! Thank you for sharing your story with us. Very inspirational :smile:
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    rcameron55 wrote: »
    Let me just start this off by saying. I have dreamed about the day I could post my own success story. I never thought it would happen. I’ve tried and tried to diet for years. Since I was about 14 and I am now about to be 21. I always failed. This year I was tired of being overweight and tired of feeling so insecure. So I shrunk my stomach naturally. I ate small portions through out the day. Cut out the junk and soda completely. I can finish a lean cuisine now and it will make me feel full. It was hard to get to this point. But I knew I wanted to get the gastric bypass but I wanted to try it naturally. Well now I’m here and I have done it myself. I haven’t worked out any. I do a lot of physical activity at my work (nursing home). So my body is not toned and I know I’d be smaller than I am if I was toned. I am very upset in that area. But I’m hoping it’s not to late to change that. If anyone has any tips or feedback on tightening my skin let me know. I am 5’8 and I am currently 178. Hoping to get some updated photos soon.

[edited by MFP mods]

Well done! At 21 it certainly isn't too late to work on your body tone; many of us in our 60's are doing so. Continue with good eating habits you have learned and find some exercise that you enjoy. Plenty of folks on here offer advice about lifting weights which would be good for you but there are also lots of downloadable routines using your own bodyweight for strength training. Some aerobic exercise is good for heart health too. Good Luck and keep up the good work.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Well done for choosing to lose the weight without surgery. I wish I had the drive and commitment to lose weight properly when I was your age - I bounced from fad to fad and didn't stick to anything long!

Your skin will take some time to "shrink", but you're at an advantage being so young. Your skin is likely more elastic than that of an older person.

Even when that happens, you may not look "toned". You likely lost muscle mass along with your fat.

I would recommend trying to incorporate some sort of progressive lifting - there are at home programs available, or you could join a gym. This, along with making sure you're eating sufficient protein, will help you retain the muscle you have as you continue to lose weight (apologies if this isn't your goal!).
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Amazing. Your hard work has, and is, paying off!
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Well done you! Give it time. Just trust in the process. You have done and awesome job. If you continue eating less you will find that your body will continue to change over time.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Great work and determination! The skin will take a bit of time but your age is a big asset. Now take a look at some of the people on here you've been very successful at maintaining to make sure you never have to do it again. I took a look at your profile pics and the difference is incredible - well done!

These might help:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300324/most-helpful-posts-goal-maintaining-weight-must-reads#latest
  • Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss! I'm 5'7 and a few years ago I managed to lose 83 lbs and got down to 190 lbs, unfortunately, I gained all that weight back so now, I'm back at square one. You're smaller than I was so I know you must feel incredible! Please remain motivated, you're at a GREAT PLACE! I look back now and wish I would have kept the weight off, but I lost motivation. Biggest regret ever! :s
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!