Finally out of the Obese BMI range, but...

Options
I've suddenly stopped losing weight. I've been stuck at about 235 for three weeks now, even though I'm still eating at a calorie deficit. I've not changed my diet or exercise habits. I do the same thing pretty much every week.

I've lost over 50 lbs, but it's seems to have suddenly stopped. :/

Is it normal to plateau with weight loss? Is weight loss plateau even a thing that can happen?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 50lb loss, that's awesome!

Have you adjusted your calorie goal during your weight loss?
  • AHusky1
    AHusky1 Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Congrats on the 50lb loss, that's awesome!

Have you adjusted your calorie goal during your weight loss?

Thank you!

Yes, as I've logged my weight loss, MFP has been lowering my calorie limits. It currently shows I can have 1700 per day.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    3 weeks isn't typically considered a plateau, but consider whether you could tighten up your logging - if you aren't, start using a food scale, doublecheck your database entries for accuracy.

Are you eating back exercise calories - if you're eating all of them back, perhaps consider eating back less as many people say calorie burns are overstated.
  • AHusky1
    Options
    3 weeks isn't typically considered a plateau, but consider whether you could tighten up your logging - if you aren't, start using a food scale, doublecheck your database entries for accuracy.

Are you eating back exercise calories - if you're eating all of them back, perhaps consider eating back less as many people say calorie burns are overstated.

I will keep your advice in mind. I have been keeping it under 1700 for all but a few days, but I will more thoroughly evaluate what I eat and make adjustments. Thank you!
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    If you have been consistent with eating around or under 1700 calories maybe consider upping it considerably for one day. Have a great splurge day and then get right back to your calorie goals. Also make sure you are drinking enough water. Especially if you do eat a splurge meal because it will probably be full of sodium. I do this when I stall and it often helps get my weight moving downward again.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AHusky1 wrote: »
    I've suddenly stopped losing weight. I've been stuck at about 235 for three weeks now, even though I'm still eating at a calorie deficit. I've not changed my diet or exercise habits. I do the same thing pretty much every week.

Is it normal to plateau with weight loss? Is weight loss plateau even a thing that can happen?

when did you last have a diet break?
  • mycorner99
    mycorner99 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This happened to me some years back. After losing 20lbs, I was stuck. I changed my workouts. I left my daily eliptical routine and mixed things up. I added workout videos, yoga and eventually running. I eventually dropped 50lbs. Try something new and see if it makes a difference.
  • AHusky1
    edited August 2018
    Options
    If you have been consistent with eating around or under 1700 calories maybe consider upping it considerably for one day. Have a great splurge day and then get right back to your calorie goals. Also make sure you are drinking enough water. Especially if you do eat a splurge meal because it will probably be full of sodium. I do this when I stall and it often helps get my weight moving downward again.

Thank you for your replies!

I have two "cheat days" per month. I'll eat an entire pizza or a few fast food burgers/fries at dinner (almost always on a Saturday when I can loaf around afterwards). I drink around 72 ounces of water at work and then a couple glasses when I'm home in the evenings.

Should I take a longer break? When I was on vacation in May, I overate for about a week and then got back to the diet once I got home. Gained maybe 1.5 pounds during that week and continued losing after.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I have two "cheat days" per month. I'll eat an entire pizza or a few fast food burgers/fries at dinner (almost always on a Saturday when I can loaf around afterwards). I drink around 72 ounces of water at work and then a couple glasses when I'm home in the evenings.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks

have a read of this. i would highly recommend a diet break for a week or 2.
  • AHusky1
    Options

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks

That would seem to be exactly what I need. I've been dieting and consistently losing weight since January.

It's time to take a break! Thank you so much!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

That would seem to be exactly what I need. I've been dieting and consistently losing weight since January.

It's time to take a break! Thank you so much!

you're welcome, enjoy the extra calories :bigsmile: