Lunch

Help! I need healthy low calorie ideas for my lunches at work everyday! And preferably not too expensive. I'm getting burnt out on salads and tuna!

Replies

• Almina
    Almina Posts: 13 Member
    I like celery with a little peanut butter, laughing cow cheese triangles and Breton black bean crackers. Celery gives you that crunchy aspect and is very low in calories. That along with 1 serving of cheese triangles and 1serving of crackers is a very satisfying lunch and is under 300 calories
  • shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    I usually make a wrap with a high fiber wrap, lettuce, laughing cow cheese, deli meat, tomatoes and mustard. I eat that along with some veggies or fruit and it hits the spot!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I make my lunches for the week on Sunday. It’s piles of roasted seasonal veggies filled by piles of fresh seasonal fruit. Then a slice of whole grain bread if I’m still hungry.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Can you make a sandwich - ham or turkey on high fiber whole wheat with some mustard for a change? I bought a smoked ham and I cut a bit off - I try to keep it 2-3 ounces. You can put lettuce and tomato and avocado on it and it's good. Sometimes you can find a precooked turkey breast. Or how about swapping your lettuce salad for a bit of whole wheat pasta salad mixed with diet dressing and some fresh veggies? If you like them, you could add chick peas for additional fiber.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    So many ways to make nice packable salad lunches. Chopped salad veg mixed into giant cous cous, rice, orzo (mini pasta), bulgar, pearl barley etc. Chopped salad veg with roasted butternut squash and lower fat feta style cheese. Roasted veg, (peppers, courgettes, tomatoes, onions and squash) with a couple of small new potatoes. Use plenty of seasoning and perhaps some spice. Add some chopped fruit into salad for interest, apples and grapes are a great addition for a bit of a sweet hit. Adding orange segments to a cous cous and roasted courgette/carrot based salad is great mixed with north African spice mixes, eg turmeric, cumin, paprika. Be adventurous, use different bases and use a variety of protein additions; eggs, smoked fish, chicken, cheese, prawns etc. Edamame beans are good too.
    Obviously make sure you can keep it chilled.
  • hateapples
    hateapples Posts: 28 Member
    I have a sandwich and piece of fruit
  • ClaudiaDawn2
    ClaudiaDawn2 Posts: 103 Member
    I take an Ole Mexican High Fiber Tortilla (only 50 calories), add a thin layer of Philadelphia 1/3 less fat cream cheese, top that with fresh spinach leaves. Put a couple slices of deli turkey (I like Dietz & Watson Gourmet Lite) and a slice or two of tomato. Wrap it up. Filling, satisfying wrap for only 127 calories. Sometimes I add a slice of turkey or chicken bacon and/or an 1/8 of an avocado.

For a side, I make veggie bags on Sunday for the week packing a wide variety of vegetables. Baby carrot, celery stick, radish slices, zucchini slices, pickled carrot stick, pickled okra, pickled asparagus, and a big queen sized green olive. This is less than 40 calories. You can throw in a cucumber too but if it's sliced, it won't stay very good by the end of the week. I pack mini cucumbers when I make this for my son.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    sandwich, leftovers from dinner, salad (theres a 1000 ways to make them), wraps, cut up veggies and fruit, home made lunchables (cheese, crackers, lunchmeat), lean cuisine type stuff (some of them are actually really good lol), none of it has to be difficult, expensive or time-consuming.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    I just take in leftovers.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    My lunch is often dinner leftovers or a sandwich. I might eat a salad, cooked or raw veggies or fruit with my lunch.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    When I used to work in an office on Sundays I made lunches and dinners for Monday - Thursday.

Now I work from home so have more flexibility.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I do weekly meal-preps. For lunch, I might have:

- Curries
    - Soups
    - Stews
    - Quiche
    - Chili
    - Sandwiches
    - Deviled eggs
    - Pulled pork
    - Chicken & rice dishes

Really... the sky's the limit.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I smoke chicken breasts on Sunday and use them for lunches throughout the week. In salad, in a wrap, with a side of veggies, etc, etc.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Vegetable and bean soup with string cheese on the side
    Pasta salad with lots of veggies
    Bento-type things with crackers, cheese, fruit, hard boiled eggs, whatever you like in your calorie target
    Rotisserie chicken salad on greens
    Burrito bowl
    Small baked potato filled with fat and protein of choice and a steamed veggie side

Lately I've been doing a lot of pbj or deli slice sandwiches with baby carrots. I got Dave's Killer Bread thin sliced white bread during my last grocery trip and it is perfect those 'classic' sandwich combos.