New Here! Trying keto again but this time going Carnivore!

Options
This will be my second time going into ketosis and I’m not doing the standard version of the diet but rather going Carnivore. I stopped the standard version because of tons of hair loss. I had gorgeous long hair and I just kept shedding it 6 months straight. I upped my carbs but that did nothing so now I’m going to eat just protein and fat!

Replies

• Junebug2022
    Junebug2022 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Keto makes you lose hair???
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    This will be my second time going into ketosis and I’m not doing the standard version of the diet but rather going Carnivore. I stopped the standard version because of tons of hair loss. I had gorgeous long hair and I just kept shedding it 6 months straight. I upped my carbs but that did nothing so now I’m going to eat just protein and fat!

if you were losing hair it could have been due to too little calories or many other things. you should not lose hair doing keto. how many calories were you eating and were you doing a lot of exercise too? but then again maybe for you your body is telling you its not sustainable . rapid weight loss can cause hair to fall out too
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

carnivore version? keto is high fat,low carb and moderate protein. you can do a little higher protein and a little lower fat. but if you had hair falling out the last time why try it again? especially if you may not be sure if it was keto alone causing it
  • dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That does not sound healthy if your losing hair. I hope there is nothing seriously wrong other then not eating enough.
  • brazilchick2400
    brazilchick2400 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

carnivore version? keto is high fat,low carb and moderate protein. you can do a little higher protein and a little lower fat. but if you had hair falling out the last time why try it again? especially if you may not be sure if it was keto alone causing it

• brazilchick2400
    brazilchick2400 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are still in ketosis when doing Carnivore. You are essentially eating zero carbs. I tested my ketones an hour after eating a massive rib eye steak and it was 1.1 so I was definitely still in ketosis. I have found so many posts online about the gluconeogenesis myth and how if you eat too much protein it kicks you out and it hasn’t been the case with me. I have zero bloat or stomach issues eating just meat so far which is a huge difference from the first time around when I did classic Keto.
    I’m also looking back on it as far as my hair loss and I think there were a lot of factors that attributed to my hair loss. I had a LOT OF STRESS at work at the time, I also don’t think my electrolytes/minerals were where they were supposed to be and my protein was too low for my body’s needs. There is also telegenic effluvium that I think initially happened because I cut my carbs too quickly while being way to stressed out at work.

I hope this all makes sense lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    You are still in ketosis when doing Carnivore. You are essentially eating zero carbs. I tested my ketones an hour after eating a massive rib eye steak and it was 1.1 so I was definitely still in ketosis. I have found so many posts online about the gluconeogenesis myth and how if you eat too much protein it kicks you out and it hasn’t been the case with me. I have zero bloat or stomach issues eating just meat so far which is a huge difference from the first time around when I did classic Keto.
    I’m also looking back on it as far as my hair loss and I think there were a lot of factors that attributed to my hair loss. I had a LOT OF STRESS at work at the time, I also don’t think my electrolytes/minerals were where they were supposed to be and my protein was too low for my body’s needs. There is also telegenic effluvium that I think initially happened because I cut my carbs too quickly while being way to stressed out at work.

I hope this all makes sense lol

I know some can do just meat but I would think that you would end up with vitamin deficiencies not getting any other vitmains and nutrients that plants can give you.are you going to eat fatty cuts of meat too for the fat? I know you can still be ketosis just eating meat. not to mention very low or no fiber. as for gluconeogenesis its not a myth. your body will make glucose if needed through gluconeogensis.as for it knocking someone out of ketosis. I dont think there are enough studies done to see what the levels of protein would be.

also ask yourself do you plan to eat like this the rest of your life as well? or just to lose weight?
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    All the best @brazilchick2400
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What could possibly go wrong!?