Binge eating

Options
When first starting off what are some tips to not over eat so I don't go over my calorie goal? Trying to lose 100 pounds

Replies

• CheekyChiq88
    CheekyChiq88 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    amen to the poster above @quiksylver296 exactly what she wrote! Then once you have done the above start adding a glass of water before every meal!
  • RachelKH2018
    RachelKH2018 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm only about two months in, but I started by changing my diet before I cut calories and it's helped a lot. I realized a lot of my binge eating was either sweets or super processed carbs that were high in sodium, so working those out of my diet and getting through the sweet/salty cravings while I was still eating as much as I liked helped a ton when I started cutting calories.

Not sure if this is the case for everyone, but once I'd gotten down to healthier foods, I was able to pinpoint certain foods that were "trigger" foods for my binge eating. Rather than expecting myself to have the willpower to stop in the moment (i.e. have a smaller portion), I just try and avoid those specific foods. Not the greatest solution, but it works.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even worry about going over your goal at first. Just start tracking your food. All of it. The good, the bad, and the ugly. After you've done that for a week or two, then look at your diary. What foods weren't worth the calories? Either they didn't keep your full, or didn't taste that great, or whatever. Start subbing out those foods for others that are lower calorie or keep you more full. Keep tracking and tweaking as you go.

Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.

Excellent advice!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Going over your calories = binge eating?

How much over?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is a specific condition/diagnosis. Do you mean binge eating disorder, or are you using it to refer just overeating but not uncontrollably so? The response would be different depending on what you are referring to.
  • Junebug2022
    Junebug2022 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Do be around the foods you binge on. They are likely full of sugars and refined carbs that make you more likely to binge.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Like @nutmegoreo said, if you mean bindge eating disorder, that's a different game. BED is quite the condition that you'll mostly have to heal in your head more than anything.

If you mean over eating as big portion out of habit or just plain bad eating habits than my 2 best tips would be:

1. Start realistic. If you used to eat 2000 calories a day, don't get too agressive. Note what you eat now, try to make better decisions when you can and slowly swap thing out.

2. Enter everything you want to eat in your diary BEFORE you eat it. You CRAVE that dessert for tonight, enter it in the morning and make the rest of your day fit around it. When I go to bed at night, my lunch is already entered in the diary, I know if I have a big lunch planned I'll have a protein filled but light in calories breakfast or vice versa. And I know I have X calories left for dinner so if I have not much room in the evening for calories, I'll make sure to use less oil to cook stuff, swap out the mash potato I had planned for baked potatoes (wich will cut the milk and butter from it), etc.

And finally, remember it's not a marathon to the finish line. The important thing is to get there and be able to sustain your new habits once you reach maintenance. Good luck!
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a photo of me at my best weight and a little sign that says:"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" on my refrigerator. I also live alone, and just don't bring food items that I would be tempted to "binge" on into the house. I do usually have two Pecan Sandies cookies (my absolute favorites) with my lunchtime protein shake; somehow I have learned that if I eat them all at once, I won't have any left for the next day! I also learned that if I get plenty of protein, I don't have food cravings. I'm rarely overlt hungry anymore, as I don't have the sugar spikes from my previous eating habits. I'm on 1200 calories. SW 222 CW 188 GW 118 I have just started using an elliptical for about 20 miles a day, and eat back just some of the extra calories, as I don't really trust the calorie counter. I was in a wheelchair for the past 6 years, and just got two new knee implants, so I should be able to pick up the pace of my weight loss now that I can get around. I would suggest trial and error to find what combinations of foods your body needs. Good Luck to all. Be gentle with yourself.
  • katrinahitaffer1838
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Going over your calories = binge eating?

How much over?

Sometimes it's only 1,000 calories over and sometimes its almost 3,000 calories over. It depends on the day
  • Jxgilber
    Jxgilber Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to cut your calories too hard? Or trying to be too be to strict with foods? Start with a small deficit of the same types of food you normally eat.