extremely tired, WHY!? please help!

Options
2»

Replies

• VMDelatorre
    VMDelatorre Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree, you may want to request a blood test. It's better to do it now while you want to do something about it before it goes any further and you opt to "give up". I'm currently going thru the "exhausted" period right now and went to the dr. last week. Everything except my liver enzymes was fine, I just need to change my routine/ foods. I came back to MFP (as my dr. recommended) recently after being a slack off for almost a year. I had encountered personal problems that I wasn't handling very well and let it get the best of me. I didn't want to work out, I started eating bad foods again, and let too much interfere. I'm finding that working out in the morning, followed with string cheese, hard boiled eggs and oatmeal for breakfast worked fine in the past for me, and I'm going to try it again. I had energy for the day,especially at work. I recently tried doing work outs in the evening, but it isn't working. Maybe trying a new routine can help too! Stay motivated! We're all here for you!
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant? I remember feeling exactly like that when I was pregnant...
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i would have said you are not having enough calories i would recomend to have at least 1500 min a day...and then eat back some of your exersice cals too!
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    In addition to things that have been mentioned (thyroid, adrenals, apnea, iron, hydration, enough cals, etc) you may also want to check into your amino acids... it sounds like you might benefit from some L-tyrosine -- Google The Mood Cure and look into that.

Also, in addition to a good multivitamin: inositol (a B-vitamin "cousin"), B-complex, Omega-3 fish oil, cal/mag. Also additional Vitamin C can be helpful, as well.

When I hit rock bottom with my energy, and it was affecting every area of my life, supplementing was vital to coming out of it. Please feel free to ask me anything about it.

(PS if you get your thyroid tested, make sure you get the numbers and do some independent research... most general physicians use a scale for measuring "healthy range" that endocrinologists disagree with, and they're the ones who deal with thyroid.)
  • ashleymariec89
    ashleymariec89 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just a couple comments to clarify, and also a couple questions about some suggestions..

1st.. I am sorry that I have not updated my profile, but I am no longer diabetic.

2nd... I have been tested for thyroid problems in the past, and my tests have come up clear. Is this something that can change? My test has been within the last year.

3rd... pregnancy...I don't think its possible, I have been on the same b/c for 6 years, and it hasn't failed me yet, I guess I can check though.

4th... I just had a blood test done on the 27th of last month, but that was just to check my diabetes (which I have already stated, I no longer have) I think he checked cholesterol, liver, and some other things, should I go back for a more generic blood test?

5th Vitamins, funny this is brought up, I was just looking at some the other day, I don't know why I didn't end up picking them up. Has anyone used the Centrium women's energy?

I'll have to turn on my iron counter in my diary and see what that tells me.

Thanks guys
  • DakotaCowboyMom
    Options
    Hope you get some answers soon!!!
  • ashleymariec89
    Options
    Holy crapoley I turned on my iron counter. it suggests 100 a day, I am going back, and so far I haven't even hit 40 :(
  • leanne2376
    leanne2376 Posts: 217
    Options
    I advise you to see a doctor - could be many things - get a blood test done

keep us posted
  • marneymac
    Options
    I was working out reguarly and I always felt great after...until about a month ago- I suddnely was very tired and couldn't get enough sleep. As soon as I sat down at home I was asleep immediately.
    I went for a physical and found that my iron was low & I had underactive thyroid. I started on iron supplements and thyriod meds and I'm back in the game 2 weeks after starting the meds. And I feel great again. But I was exactly as you describe.
  • Collinsky
    Options
    Iron can definitely be an issue then. And you should get your thyroid test numbers -- what your dr thinks is "normal" might be considered to be hypothyroid by an endocrinologist. There are also other tests for thyroid which your GP might not have run. (The Mood Cure book has a great section on thyroid. I hate to keep harping on it, but that book was the best $9 I ever spent.) I ruled out anemia, thyroid, etc. and then was left with a dr telling me I was fine, when I absolutely was not. "Take walks in the sunshine" was about the best advice I got, and it was awful. I couldn't. I was GLUED to my couch, and couldn't do much of anything about it. I would be motivated to do something and fizzle out before I made it across the room. I had to take a break walking up our stairs. I had every symptom of "depression" except I wasn't depressed - I was just completely, totally depleted. Then I found someone who pointed to inositol and to The Mood Cure, which led me to L-tyrosine, and then to the other supplements.

When I started first supplementing, I was taking a lot of pills every day -- I would have thought it was nuts, but I was desperate to have my life back. Basically, I had these undiagnosed nutritional deficiencies that I needed to fill in. After the first month or two, how much I took tapered off, and now it's at a "normal" amount. My goal is to get all my nutritional needs met through my diet, but I know I'm not quite there yet. But the way I feel is a complete 180 from where I was. Centrum women's will do for a multi - it may not be the best ever, but it's the one I took. I would say you should also be taking the B-complex, a cal/mag, and absolutely fish oil. Also do some looking into Vitamin D -- many people are borderline deficient, and it has a big impact on overall health. There's been a lot of recent research in the past couple years where they've revised a lot of what they know about D.
  • momburntdinner
    momburntdinner Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Even if you are no longer diabetic, you could still be borderline diabetic and should probably stick tot he way you were eating when you were "oficially" diabetic.

I have type 2 diabetes, and coupled with that came sleep apnea. Do you snore? Wake up wtih dry mouth? Grind your teeth at night/wake up with a sore jaw? Even though I was getting 8-10 hours of sleep a night, having apnea decreased beneficial sleep to 2 hours. And apnea doesn't just happen to overweight individuals... it can also happen to people with large breasts, so keep that in mind ;D
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    I agree a doctor is your best bet.
    It sounds like how I felt when I was eating gluten daily. But it could be anything.
  • Collinsky
    Options
    You will want to do some independent research -- you need to know exactly what you want your dr to test you for before you go in to the office. There are six (I think?) different things you can test for for thyroid, not just the one regular test they rely on. Anemia is a pretty straightforward test, but other things might require you to tell your dr what test you'd like done.
  • ashleymariec89
    Options
    I do grind my teeth, but that has been going on since I was a VERY small child.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Also--could you be sick with something like mono? That could do it as well.
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind, I just had a quick look
    at your diary. If each day is complete you are barely
    eating 600-800 calories a day with all your exercise.
    Some days are less than that as your calorie burn
    Is so great. (great job on the calorie burn btw)If your
    weight loss has stopped I would try and eat back at
    least half your exercise calories.

This could account for being so tired. Your body
    is starving.
  • Collinsky
    Options
    I hope you don't mind, I just had a quick look
    at your diary. If each day is complete you are barely
    eating 600-800 calories a day with all your exercise.
    Some days are less than that as your calorie burn
    Is so great. (great job on the calorie burn btw)If your
    weight loss has stopped I would try and eat back at
    least half your exercise calories.

This could account for being so tired. Your body
    is starving.

If this is accurate, you definitely should increase your calories - I'd say double them, at least for a while until your system regulates again. If you're on a dr-managed VLCD, talk to him/her about how you're feeling and let him know it's not working well for you.