HELP PLEASE 😊. I feel so lazy!

Options
I decided to start using MFP again for the third time. Every other month or so I get excited about losing weight and working out, but I quickly lose my motivation. I don’t know where to start and I know nothing about the gym/equipment. I do have enough knowledge about food to change my bad habits so that’s a plus. My goal is to lose 60 pounds and get my nice round booty back lol. If you guys could share tips and help with motivation, that’s would be awesome! HELP!!!!

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You don't need to workout to lose weight, but if you want to (and It's a pretty good idea) and you don't know the equipment, see if your gym has a free session with a personal trainer. Trust me, they don't want people hurting themselves. If you can't get a free session, it would be worth paying for one. Just make sure you are clear with them what you expect from the session.
  • fitandpainfree
    fitandpainfree Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Welcome... I hit restart here at MFP on June 9th so I can relate to the "again" in your post. I too can quickly lose my focus and if I am feeling down for any reason I binge on anything even remotely sweet, salty and crunchy. This time around I am making friends and trying to log in everyday. I am also working on logging my food/exercise realistically.
    I don't have any info on the gym circuit because I am such an introvert, but I do like utilizing my mini trampoline and walk and do my pt stretches and strengthening. I do these at home.
    You don't necessarily need a gym, but if you do be sure to get a lesson on the equipment. You don't want to accidentally hurt yourself.
    GOOD LUCK and again WELCOME.
  • vladamisa
    vladamisa Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to the MFP train, I am right there with you since I just recently came back for like the 4th time >< youtube videos and watching other people at the gym can help. I know its daunting but in the past I have asked someone (a random other gymgoer) how do you do this and is it right? Most of the people in the gym will be happy to help you out and some will even show you their routine. Its a great way to add variety into your workout as well as make new friends.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    is the gym something you truly want to do and fits in your schedule? If not maybe look at other options. Many are loving Orange Theory Gyms which have classes (mix cardio and weight) though I found it to be a bit bleh after awhile. Or take a class that at any gym that does some strength training (can just be body weight for many classess).

or, just walk. park a bit farther. get of the bus a few stop earlier. start small and achievable and build from there. Sometimes we aim too high and burn out rather than start with achievable goals we can build on and that fit in our lifestyle more easily.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,548 Member
    Options
    Just do something you enjoy that involves moving your body more. There are dozens or even hundreds of options: Walk, dance, learn a martial art, play a musical instrument (standing, and vigorously if possible), play tag with children or push them on swings, swim, cycle, play ping-pong, go window shopping at the mall, ride a bike, go rock-climbing, canoe/kayak/row . . . anything. It doesn't even have to be the same thing every day.

Or . . . take a group exercise class (it's normal to feel awkward at first - everyone else there did the first time, too ;) ), meet with the personal trainer, do the YouTube exercise videos . . . until you try enough of those things to find some of those that you find fun.

If it's fun, you'll do it. Any movement you do burns more calories than the theoretically perfect exercise you hate and skip with the slightest excuse. The ideal scenario is finding something you love to do so much that you'd do it even if it weren't good for you.

And move more in everyday life. More about that here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss
  • nb297
    nb297 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i am too again rejoining MFP, i think it's like 3rd time too, this time i am definitely doing the community thing and talking, (something i never really tried before) and it helps, talking with other people who are going thru what you are definitely ups the "i'm staying with this" factor. take it slow, i plan to only watch my diet and focus on recording EVERYTHING i eat for the first few weeks and sticking to my calorie counting, then if i think i got that into a habit, i'll add in some exercise.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Returning to MFP as well, as I gained all my weight back during pregnancy. For working out, suggest u check out the group classes or if can afford a few Persoal trainer sessions so they can show u the ropes. I also loved Nia Shanks workouts first time around.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Nia Shanks
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As exercise goes, I'd recommend just doing something you enjoy that involves moving. I mostly cycle and lift weights 3x per week. I enjoy cycling and rarely need any motivation to get out on the road and ride. Lifting can require a bit more motivation, mostly in regards to actually getting myself to the gym because it's another place to be on a long list of places to be. Once I'm there, I'm fine.
  • intrigame23
    intrigame23 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You're going to do great! Know why? You're back here and not giving up. It takes a while to fine tune things so that you get yourself into a rhythm. Something that's been helping me last longer than a month, falling off, then hopefully starting again sooner than later, is setting morning and night time routines.

Depending on what goes on in the rest of your life, it might be best to get your workout done first thing in the morning. I teach third grade and once I get to work there's absolutely no telling what my day will be like, what surprise meetings there are going to be, etc. So when I get up early, I know my workout is done and I don't have to worry about having energy to do it after work.

It also helps to plan ahead. Make it a habit to get your workout clothes ready the night before, pack your lunch the night before, lay your work clothes out, have snacks on hand for the ride home, and even do something to prep dinner for the next day. When we're prepared it's a lot harder to give in to temptations like staying in bed vs. working out, or getting take-out or fast food vs. cooking at home.

You got this!! We're all here to support. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. :smiley: