Keto tips!

Options
I've seen a lot of posts about the keto diet, and let me tell you, it is not easy. If you do it right, it is very rewarding! I have been doing keto since Jan 2018 and have lost 40 pounds. I have never felt healthier and happier in my life. I have some tips for anyone interested!

1.) Know your macros. Your carb intake will always be 20 grams, but depending on how tall you are, your protein and fats will be different.

2.) Protein is a goal; fat is a limit. It is ok to go over on protein daily!

3.) Counting calories is ESSENTIAL. If you don't count, weigh, or track your food, how do you truly know what you are consuming? Invest in a food scale, and have a pen and notebook next to it at all times. It seems awkward at first but it does get easier.

4.) Electrolytes are VERY important. Keto makes you flush out your electrolytes faster, and you need to make sure you are getting enough salt in your diet. Simply salting your foods is not going to do it. Bone broth, salty foods, or even "keto-aid", a mixture of crystal lite and salt, will help you. Your goal is 3000-5000mg daily. Most people have to supplement magnesium malate and sometimes potassium.

5.) DO NOT CHEAT! We are human, and yes, you are going to want that piece of cake or that ice cream. Treating yourself once in a while is ok; make sure your cravings are under control before indulging. Look at it this way: keto is like marriage. Once you commit, it's for life. It's not a diet, its a Way of Eating (WOE).

Keto is meant to make you feel better about yourself physically and mentally.

Happy keto!

Replies

• NGentRD
    NGentRD Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of posts about the keto diet, and let me tell you, it is not easy. If you do it right, it is very rewarding! I have been doing keto since Jan 2018 and have lost 40 pounds. I have never felt healthier and happier in my life. I have some tips for anyone interested!

1.) Know your macros. Your carb intake will always be 20 grams, but depending on how tall you are, your protein and fats will be different.

2.) Protein is a goal; fat is a limit. It is ok to go over on protein daily!

3.) Counting calories is ESSENTIAL. If you don't count, weigh, or track your food, how do you truly know what you are consuming? Invest in a food scale, and have a pen and notebook next to it at all times. It seems awkward at first but it does get easier.

4.) Electrolytes are VERY important. Keto makes you flush out your electrolytes faster, and you need to make sure you are getting enough salt in your diet. Simply salting your foods is not going to do it. Bone broth, salty foods, or even "keto-aid", a mixture of crystal lite and salt, will help you. Your goal is 3000-5000mg daily. Most people have to supplement magnesium malate and sometimes potassium.

5.) DO NOT CHEAT! We are human, and yes, you are going to want that piece of cake or that ice cream. Treating yourself once in a while is ok; make sure your cravings are under control before indulging. Look at it this way: keto is like marriage. Once you commit, it's for life. It's not a diet, its a Way of Eating (WOE).

Keto is meant to make you feel better about yourself physically and mentally.

Happy keto!

I have about 15-35 net carbs, I’m also 250 and compete in powerlifting and on days with anything over 90% I actually eat more carbs than that range.
  • stacybaker707
    stacybaker707 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I eat more than 20 carbs, too. I have lost 45 pounds in 4 months.
  • jsb0726
    jsb0726 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If I’m not mistaken you have to be careful to not over do protein. It causes gluconeogenesis and will spike insulin and be stored as fat.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!