Best way to subside your hunger? What to do?

Options
I'm drinking lots of water but I just keep feeling hungry but don't want to eat till dinner. What are some tricks to literally trick your hunger?

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I use a hot cup of tea.
  • mommabearwbl
    mommabearwbl Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm struggling with this too. 3-5 PM is my challenging time. I'm trying to redirect my thoughts until supper time but not easy to do! I'm sick of drinking water!! Hot tea or broth may be an answer for me
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day are you eating? Possibly you are hungry. I just ate half a protein bar because my tummy was grumbly and it's 3 hours until dinner, but I didn't want to spend the calories on the whole thing. Now I'm no longer hungry (but not stuffed) and can focus on MFP...uh, I mean work...again. If calories are ok, experiment with macros to see what satiates you best (protein, fat, carbs, or some combination of the above).
  • Retrolexie
    Retrolexie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 1,200 calorie diet, tough as hell and not recommended for a starter but it has to be done haha. Just trying to figure out good meals or ways to satisfy my hunger and feel fuller throughout the day. Best snacks between meals that save calories but make you fill full till time for the next meal?
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym helps kill some time. I drink preworkout before/during the gym workout and a protein shake after the gym. That really tides me over for a few hours and I still have a calorie deficit.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like chai tea with 3 oz milk and 4 grams agave syrup. After it is good and steeped, I pop it into the blender. It makes a delicious foamy treat with a little fat, protein and carbs but not too many calories.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,813 Member
    Options
    Retrolexie wrote: »
    I'm doing a 1,200 calorie diet, tough as hell and not recommended for a starter but it has to be done haha. Just trying to figure out good meals or ways to satisfy my hunger and feel fuller throughout the day. Best snacks between meals that save calories but make you fill full till time for the next meal?

I am also doing 1200, the only way I’ve been successful is to not eat breakfast, I still have my coffee. If I’m starving before lunch I have some fruit usually strawberries, watermelon or raspberries. I try to keep my lunch at 400 cals or less, (I’ve been doing chicken nugget happy meal with apple slices a lot). Afternoon I try to get through without a snack but sometimes have Popcorn, carrots or a few nuts. I am a stickler for a night time snack and will go exercise so I can have it. My diary is open if you want to add me as a friend. I am not a “clean” eater by any means, I like junk food too much.
  • k4200
    k4200 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am about three months in on my diet, So I’m not a pro by any means. I’m know for being a big eater. I found adding a little more protein and water at the end of my meals helped. Just make sure you stay in your calorie zone.
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    When I'm genuinely hungry, I eat. I find veggies dipped in hummus, or Greek yogurt, or a serving of mixed nuts usually hold me over. I tend to eat a small snack after breakfast but before lunch, and after lunch but before dinner. That way at meal times I don't feel ravenous, and so I don't overindulge.
  • bergk24
    bergk24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Green Tea helps me tremendously when I’m trying to get through the day without feeling like I’m starving. Adding more protein to my diet as well such as boiled eggs in the morning helps offsets those feelings too.
  • ToadstoolBetty
    ToadstoolBetty Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Eat back some of your exercise calories. If you press the nutrients button at the bottom it will show you your Net calories which is what you have actually taken in after the exercise calories have been deducted.
    That or just change the amount of calories for each day. Put it up to 1500 and see how you get on.
    1200 calories is very hard to do for a lot of people and they make the mistake of thinking they only have to eat that amount. But if you are exercising that means you are burning off part of the 1200. The MFP method is to exercise and eat back some calories. You will still lose weight. I've been using mfp for 6 years and I'vre used their method successfully along with many others over the years.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    If you’re hungry, eat. But not necessarily right now. When’s your next meal? When’s your next snack? Delay is much more manageable than just say no.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat one 1200 and digest it throughout the day instead of three 400 calorie meals that have you hungry and thinking of food and your next "small'' meal.
  • ecrosby512
    ecrosby512 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks. Hot peppermint tea with a little creamer in it.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out if you are hungry, or just eating some other emotion. But an ounce of cheese can be very satisfying or some hummus and vegetables. Nothing wrong with a little bit of protein if you happen to have some chicken cooked. My husband just cut me up a peach and I just had that. If you are eating to fill a void (boredom, stress) find something else to do - rearrange your underwear drawer, or anything that takes you mind off of food. I like to read, so that does it for me. I'm on the 1200 calories too - are you eating enough for lunch?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Retrolexie wrote: »

A 1200 calorie diet is really aggressive...you're probably just going to have to get used to being hungry...1200 calories is basically nothing.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    1200 is quite low, habing done it myself, I don't think I would ever go that low again.

That being said, it is possible to not feel hungry all the time, but I doubt you will ever really full either (I wasn't anyway). You need to find the right food for you. Some people need more protein others more carbs, fibers, fat, etc.
    For exemple the other day I add 2 eggs, 1 slice of bacon, tomatoes, onion and avocado. 2 hours later I was ravenous yet my meal was full of protein and fat. The next morning for the exact same amout of calories I had oatmeal with banana and peanut butter and I was good until lunch. For me fiber and carbs are the most important to curb my hunger over protein.

Try to switch things up until you find a good balance.