anyone lose lots of weight..only to gain it back?

Options
I am the sort of person who likes to think about things....plan for diasters...and attempt to learn from other's mistakes.

I've only had one successful weight loss...about 18 years ago...and that was only about 30 pounds. I did gain back the 30 pounds...but it took about 5 years....then gained even more weight...until I realized it was out of control.

I'm loosing weight again...and need to lose over 100 pounds...

I'd love to hear from people who've lost lots of weight...only to have gained it back. I was hoping people would share the "what happened story"...

In the hopes that I can avoid some of the pitfalls.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    My top tip: Never stop weighing yourself weekly.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i lost 15 lbs for my wedding back in 2009 and gained it all back and then some. My method back then for losing weight was eating lean cuisines and cutting out all "bad" food.

clearly this did not work out.

NOW...i'm down 28 lbs and have maintained this since January (with 12 more lbs to go) by portion control, consistient logging (today is day 305 of consecutive log ins), and exercise. I won't gain any of it back EVER (okay when i have kids, but them i'm losing it again) because its a lifestyle. I dont cut anything out, I just plan accordingly. Crazy fad diets and pills dont work.

feel free to check out my blog on my success story (link is on my about me section)

good luck...you can do it!
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs back in 08 after my divorce and then got pregnant in dec of 08 and gained 80 lbs then got pregnant again in feb 2010 when my son was only 5 months old and total between the 2 of them I gained 110 lbs
    my youngest son is 9 months old and I am working my *kitten* off too loose the 110 I gained and hopefully 10-15 after that.

I am currently 14 lbs away from my pre-pregnancy/goal weight
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks it's about a diet and not a lifestyle change.
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight most of my life, but there was a time where I lost 50 pounds in high school. My whole family did Weight Watchers. It worked, I was able to lose the weight so I could fit into my prom dress.

Then I went to college and gained it all back. It's been 10 years since high school and I hit my highest weight recently due to a lot of stress and not caring what I eat.

Now that I've found MFP I feel that I can do this to meet my goal weight (which is also 100 pounds I will have to lose). But using MFP calorie tracker and utilizing the message boards for support I know I can do it this time and keep it off. It's not just another diet for me, it's to change my life.

I don't want to be skinny, I never will be. I'll be happy to be a curvy, healthy woman.
  • becca92562
    becca92562 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In 2003 after having my second child I lost 75 pounds on the adkins diet. I gained 90 pounds 3 years later when I was pregnant with my youngest child. For me it was simple I burnt out on the adkins and since I had never learned how it eat healthy I quickly gained it back.
    In 2007 I joined WW and lost 99 pounds. When the plan changed and I gained 20 pounds over several failed attempts at maintaining. I'm back and trying to lose not with a stragedy but just simple life lessons on how to eat.
    I would say I took one thing away from my attempts and reattempts you have to be able to continue doing whatever you did to lose the weight to maintain the weight loss so don't do anything you can't see doing long term :-)
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    was down to about 150 (from 180 or so) when I met my 2nd (x) husband. I tried at first to bring him to the healthy side but he was stronger than me & dragged me to the dark side. I gained about 50 lbs with that toad, he gained over 100.
    I got rid of 420 lbs when I divorced him & working on the rest now. I will NEVER AGAIN change my life style for any person, place or thing
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just returned after 3 weeks of fun with family and friends and have cut my loss in half. I was about to break 40 lbs lost when the break came and have gained back 15 of the lbs lost.
    Just shows me how cruddy my family eats, dad won't cook even bacon without greasing the pan first (cast iron pan that I've got seasoned so well that nothing sticks to it in the first place) and he'll pay extra to buy the leanest ground beef he can buy only to load the pan up with a layer of oil so it has enough to cook right when he fries it. My nephew wakes up in the morning and wants his crispers before he will look at bread or pancakes or real food for breakfast, sadly he's 4 so I hope they turn that around though he eats just like his dad does so not really holding out hope, though I think a "diet" of real food would get him off the medications he's on.

After eating like that and having liquid calories (chocolate milk now come on) again I'm so glad to be home with my 10 bags of frozen raspberries and yogurt and other real foods... I am glad ot be back to whole milk also and half/half cream instead of the artificial flavoured whiteners etc.. Oh and ALWAYS snacking, on chips, crackers, ice cream sandwiches.. didn't go over too well. Back home without that stuff I'm not even looking for it!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Here..I had no one to tell me about lifestyles and journeys until I found MFP

Seriously, I fully disclose my problems in my profile. Here's hoping it's finally sunk in.
  • MABmom
    MABmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was active through out my childhood and college. After college I was dating my boy friend, who became my husband. I wanted to spend every free second with him so I stopped working out and started eating what he was eating. I married my love, but gained a whole bunch of weight. I went back for my masters degree and spent the next three years not doing any exercise. Finally I decided enough was enough and started watching what I ate and working out. I did P90 with my husband and watched every calorie. It worked! I lost about 30 lbs.

Then I got pregnant. It was great but I started doing the recommended "walking" for my working out. Then my husband left for training (he joined the military) and all my careful calorie counting went out the window. For the first two trimesters I was fine but really packed on the pounds in my third trimester. I ended up having an emergency c-section (DS has a head circumference at 98% still at 11 months) and a pretty poor recovery from that so I ate what was easy to make and didn't exercise one bit. When DS was five months and I needed to lose about 70 lbs I decided enough was enough. So now I am here, back to watching what I eat and exercising. Even with a military move (meaning we moved without a place to live and had to live in a hotel for a month) I have lost 20 lbs. Still a long way to go but I a determined to be healthy to be a good example for our son.

Good luck with your journey. That is my story, so far.
  • PJFaber
    PJFaber Posts: 47
    Options
    Been there several times beginning at early teens. I would lose some and then gain it back and some more. I would revert to old habits of eating late and clean up all the leftovers from my children's plate and the leftovers as I put them away. Most recent, in 2008 went on weight watchers with a friend and went from 315 to around 190. I started to revert back to old habit in Jan 10 and started to put back on about 30 pounds. Then I was told about MFP by my friend. So far I have lost 22 pounds here with little to no effort. It helps to log what I am eating every bite, taste and lick. Never give up.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    About 9 years ago, I lost 40 lbs with Weight Watchers...since then, and up until I started MFP, I gained all of that back and then some.

Somehow, back then, I think I got comfortable with the 40 lb loss, and stopped going to meetings, and got into the habit of thinking "oh that won't hurt" if I had this or that, and my bad habits slowly creeped back.

I have been on MFP since 11/30/10, and lost 56 lbs (total of 66 lbs since October 2010). I am at the point where I am struggling to keep my eye on the prize. I have about 100 lbs total to lose, and being on here is definately helping me. I struggle on the weekends where I am tempted with eating out etc., so I am trying to work on that so the weight doesn't pile back on...
  • Christinamosher
    Options
    About two years ago I was at 310 lbs. I had surgery for a tumor and decided I was going to take a hold of my weight once and for all. I started going to the gym 4-5 days a week and got down 60lbs in one year. Then, I tore a tendon in my foot last year and I wasn't able to run anymore. I took 4 months off and had gained 20lbs back!! I couldn't believe it. I think it's because I changed so abruputly. I went from exercising 5 days a week and cutting my sugars and wheat, to maybe one day a week lifting in the gym and back to eating all the sweets.

For me, I know it was the sugar. I work in an office where everyone is overweight and almost everyone has a candy jar or brings in cookies every week. It's pretty amazing how easy it was to get an afternoon cookie pick me up, instead of eating well and having that "high" from cardio.

My advice, don't stop eating well. When you get to your goal weight, you could probably skim back on the workouts, but keep your eating healthy. It will keep you from packing on the pounds...and probably extend your life by getting proper nutrients!

Good luck!
  • cnewyou
    cnewyou Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi. It's my opinion that when you diet to lose weight, you eventually gain it all back and then some. Permanent weight loss comes when you find the right mix of eating and exercise that works for you, something you can do for a lifetime. You're in the right place to be successful. Good luck on your journey.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 lbs by changing my diet and adding exercise about 11 years ago. I didn't gain it back because of kids. I gained it back because I stopped eating the right way and I stopped exercising. For me, both of these things must be a lifelong practice. As of today I am only 5 lbs heavier than my lowest weight 10 years ago. I still have 45 more lbs to lose, but I know that to lose them and keep off everything I've lost I MUST continue to exercise and be cognizant of what I'm eating. I don't deprive myself even now (I just ate some ice cream and a banana) but I know that I have to home prepare meals instead of eating out. I know that I have to get in some type of exercise, even if it's just a mile walk. But I have to move my body! You can't fall back into "easy" habits, i.e. sitting on the couch watching tv vs. a brisk walk, running through that drive through instead of taking something out of the freezer in the morning to cook that evening. I have to continue to eat healthy and move my caboose!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes. I've done that often. In my mid-20's, while in graduate school, I ballooned up. I got frustrated and joined Weight Watchers. I religiously tracked, exercised and really dedicated myself to making it happen. I felt great, lost 75 pounds and really loved it. I kept it off for about 4-5 years! Then....I wish I had a million valid excuses, but I don't. I got lazy and decided it was ok to go out drinking several nights per week followed by visits to the all-night diner. I worked 2 jobs then, and was a bartender at night. So we'd sit around after shift and drink beers and eat garbage and shoot the breeze until sun-up. I wasn't sleeping right, wasn't eating right and certainly wasn't exercising regularly anymore! Eventually, I started gaining. First it was about 20 pounds back on. Then I stayed there. But it started to spiral out of control, I got depressed about it, I ate more. It was a vicious cycle! So finally, I gained all 75 pounds back. UGH UGH UGH. And have since gained about 15 more than that. I was up and down a lot in my 30's but never got anywhere near where I was back then on WW. I lost 25 pounds before my wedding, only to pack it all back on within a few month.

I think about this often. I've started and stopped more times than I can count in the past 5 years. I get a few pounds off, start to feel great, get complacent, and fall into my "let's go out for dinner" routine, and end up over-indulging. I have a bad case of the quitzies. I worry a lot about that. Am I going to allow myself to fall into that same routine yet again? Am I going to fall into that evil cycle of self loathing, eating to avoid my emotions and gaining weight, then repeat and continue?

My answer? No. Not THIS time. This time is different. I feel it. I feel different, I feel engaged in this process, and I feel committed to making myself a healthier person. I am turning 37 in February. I plan to charge into my 40's fit and fabulous and running races. I wasted SO much of my 30's being miserable, fat, unhealthy, obsessed about my weight issues that I created for myself, and never taking responsibility for it. Here I am, ready to go the distance. MFP has been such a great resource! I love it. It just fits the me that I am today. And I've met so many wonderful, supportive and encouraging people on here who are in very similar situations. I don't feel alone, or ashamed, like I'm the only one in the world who's done this. I feel great! And really excited to take this journey, and post my success stories at my goal weight next year.

:flowerforyou:

Thanks for posting this. It really made me think about things and realize why I'm here!
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Sad to say, I've lost weight and gained it all back two times.

Thing I've learned:
    -Meal tracking is not optional. I need to count calories or I eat too much.
    -I've got to weigh myself every week and be obsessive about keeping my target weight.
    -I need to get some kind of exercise. Not so much to lose weight, but to keep my body from hurting.
    -I need to maintain some passion or purpose behind doing these things constantly. I can't say it's 'fun'. If I don't do the minimum of meal tracking and weighing, I don't feel good and my doctor will put me on meds to manage my cholesterol and BP.

I am very successful at losing weight. I am working on being successful at keeping it off.
  • morez610
    morez610 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    About 6 years ago, I was at my lightest (at the time)...I was right around 185 lbs - this is obviously relative since at one point, I weighed almost 230 lbs so this is definitely a milestone. Then I got engaged the first time...at this point, I pretty much let myself go because I was, I guess in a sense "rebelling" against my current situation. The relationship was very unhealthy, I was bordering on depression and I felt that my life was headed on a downward spiral. I re-gained the 45 lbs that I had previously lost.

3 years ago, I got married to my beautiful wife. From that point to about 88 days ago (based on MFP logging), I was right around 190 or so. I am now at the lightest that i've been in 18 years, extremely happy, and will definitely be much careful. In addition, I've also quit smoking after being a smoker for 17 years. I am now on Day 55 post-smoking, 0 pounds gained - 3 lbs lost!!!

That's my little "success story" - and I can say that if I'm able to do it...You can too!!! Best of luck!
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Story of my life since the age of 13. The only time I was ever thin was when I was dieting. As soon as I stopped the weight came back and then some. At 51 years old I have finally figured out that once you get to goal it doesn't mean that is the end of dieting. I equate it to someone who is an alcholic. You have to be vigilant for the rest of your life! For people like me who want to remain thin and healthy that means always monitoring. But the best part is I am finally okay with that. If that's what it takes I will do it always. Of course, once I get to goal it will be to monitor to maintain. I will also continue to have an exercise routine cause I actually love the feeling I get when exercising. Now that I have discovered MFP it will be so simple to do. Hope this sheds some light for you.
  • 2pinks1blue
    Options
    Last summer I lost about 40lbs, then I got pregnant with my third child and my weight got out of control, now I have about 58lbs to lose.. you need to make changes that you maintain, or you will potentially gain it back.