Hello! Looking for some advice

Options
I started my weight loss journey almost three weeks ago with a keto diet plan. I started at 330lbs and have lost 16lbs purely on diet, but i need to start incorporating exercise to my daily routine. However i really don’t have much experience with gyms and was wondering if anyone knew a good routine with the machines that are in the gym. I’m concerned about lose skin and i think maybe lifting would make it less noticeable to an extent, although i know i have to do cardio as well. Thank you for any help or advice you could share, wish you all the best in your journey.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great cardio and a full body workout. If you are looking at strength training, then look at a personal trainer for a session or two. They can help you learn the equipment, set up a plan, and check your form so that you minimize the risk of harming yourself.
  • stacybaker707
    stacybaker707 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started low carb about 4 months ago and have lost 45 pounds. I had never been to a gym until I started in March (I am 31), but started with the treadmill and whatever weight machines I felt like doing. Now I usually do the elliptical machine and lift different weights for 20-30 minutes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk and walk some more!
  • meuchelmorder507
    meuchelmorder507 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!!
  • aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has some great workout plans for beginners. They have videos of proper form for machines as well. Stregth training will definitely reduce sagging skin with weight loss. Also aim to lose slower rather than quicker to help your skin keep up with the weight loss. Good luck to you.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey almost three weeks ago with a keto diet plan. I started at 330lbs and have lost 16lbs purely on diet, but i need to start incorporating exercise to my daily routine. However i really don’t have much experience with gyms and was wondering if anyone knew a good routine with the machines that are in the gym. I’m concerned about lose skin and i think maybe lifting would make it less noticeable to an extent, although i know i have to do cardio as well. Thank you for any help or advice you could share, wish you all the best in your journey.

No you don't. You can lose weight without exercising at all. (You should exercise though.) All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. Exercise helps because burning calories helps.

Look into StrongLifts 5x5 since you have access to a gym. It's dead simple. You don't do many lifts, just a few really good ones.

Walking isn't what most people think of "exercise," but it burns calories, and it's low impact so you can do it every day. If you walk a bit, it's amazing how the calories add up. Also, it's cheap and easy to get a realistic calorie count for walking, so you can feel good about eating them.

Bike riding and swimming and skiing are all so much fun you forget you're exercising.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I also recommend swimming and walking and biking because they're fun. I've also been running intervals on a treadmill and that's a good way to rack up a lot of exercise calories. 5 min on, 5 walking, repeat etc. I've noticed it gets easier and easier as you do it more too--I'm not someone who enjoys running normally! But as I get better I find it feels good especially right after a workout.