Having Drinks

Options
2»

Replies

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I go for Michelob Ultras at 90 calories a pop. I think maybe there is a Budweiser beer that has less calories than that. Alcohol is a slippery slope for me. If I have more than a couple drinks. the floodgates open and I'll come home and eat an entire box of Captain Crunch or half a pizza. A nice buzz is definitely a trigger for me.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If I want a drink, the last thing I consider is how many calories it has. I drink for taste, log whatever I drink, and account for the calorie hit in my diary. Life is too short to drink crap beer or liquor.

Truth.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I usually go with vodka soda or rum and diet. I also like prosecco if I'm looking for something a little different- it's almost as low calorie as liquor.

Also YES to the pp who mentioned that your tolerance may be lower, especially if you're used to drinking on a full stomach and/or drinking with food. My friends and I do happy hour for a few hours and I usually have 3-4 drinks. I usually end up feeling tipsy/buzzed but not drunk.

I went just the other afternoon after just having around 350 calories for lunch (planned to have dinner at home so I wasn't getting tons of calories from alcohol and restaurant food). I was shocked at how much the 1st glass hit me, and I was slurring my words halfway through the 2nd glass. I ended up coming home and immediately falling asleep in a wine coma! Be careful :).
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I usually go with vodka soda or rum and diet. I also like prosecco if I'm looking for something a little different- it's almost as low calorie as liquor.

Also YES to the pp who mentioned that your tolerance may be lower, especially if you're used to drinking on a full stomach and/or drinking with food. My friends and I do happy hour for a few hours and I usually have 3-4 drinks. I usually end up feeling tipsy/buzzed but not drunk.

I went just the other afternoon after just having around 350 calories for lunch (planned to have dinner at home so I wasn't getting tons of calories from alcohol and restaurant food). I was shocked at how much the 1st glass hit me, and I was slurring my words halfway through the 2nd glass. I ended up coming home and immediately falling asleep in a wine coma! Be careful :).

I just experienced this last weekend! I made a 2 shot mixed drink, and couldn't figure out why it hit me so hard! It hadn't even been that long since my last meal! I did not account for the lower weight. I will make lighter drinks or nurse them next time, lol.

I agree with everyone else though, wine, single shots of liquor (bourbon, vodka, rum, etc.) on the rocks, and liquor and diet juice or soda are your best bets. Barefoot makes sparkling Sangia's that aren't too bad! I think they float around 120 a can. I think Mike's makes lower calorie drinks too.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Vodka and a diet mixer

This!
    You can get lots of flavoured ones too and only around 50 cals a shot.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    You can drink beer...just drink less of it. I know this sounds silly, but it is possible to do...so I've been told.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like vodka with club soda and lime. My mom does the ultra light beer~90 Cal's I think.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You can drink beer...just drink less of it. I know this sounds silly, but it is possible to do...so I've been told.

I start with a really good beer, or 2, then switch to a light beer once my taste buds are past their prime.
    As noted above, my weight has made me a light weight drinker, :'( But it helps with my cal intake too.

Cheers, h.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Jackie9003 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Vodka and a diet mixer

This!
    You can get lots of flavoured ones too and only around 50 cals a shot.

I just want to point out that most liquors are roughly 60 calories per ounce. A shot is an ounce and a half. Also, some bartenders pour a bit heavier than that - for the tips. So a drink with one type of liquor and a diet mixer is probably closer to 90 or 100 calories, anyway. Which is about the same as a light beer. If you want more accuracy in your calorie counting, bottles and cans are portion controlled. If you're only having one or two, I'd vote for drinking something you really like.

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I like wine spritzers for drinking at home. Half a glass of rose or white wine with the other half sparkling water and add ice cubes. It's refreshing and less than half the calories of just the wine. However, when I go out I usually indulge and have at least one mixed drink or a craft beer. Log it and move a little more to compensate.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Gin and Slim Line Tonic.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Gin and Slim Line Tonic.

I'll have to look into the Slim Line Tonic... I love me some G&Ts, and that sounds really interesting... And another advocate for diet coke and rum OR nursing some whiskey on the rocks.