Registered for a 15k!

Options
I've done a few 5k races, more walking than running. I'm not a habitual runner by any means but I would like to give it a go. I have the couch to 5k app and the Nike run club app. Are there any runners here that can advise me? What do you like about running? What shoes support well? Favorite go to music? Results you have seen? I'm so bored with my normal exercise routine that I don't exercise any more. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I love running, can't really tell you why though!

Get fit for shoes, what suits my feet and gait is not necessarily any good for you

I don't run with music, I like to know what's going on around me.

Results? I get very very rungry!! And I went from non runner to half marathoner in under 2 years.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MaxT370 wrote: »
    I've done a few 5k races, more walking than running. I'm not a habitual runner by any means but I would like to give it a go. I have the couch to 5k app and the Nike run club app. Are there any runners here that can advise me? What do you like about running? What shoes support well? Favorite go to music? Results you have seen? I'm so bored with my normal exercise routine that I don't exercise any more. Thanks in advance!

When is your event?

What sort of feet do you have?

C25K is an excellent program. Do 3 workouts a week as it suggests.

Results? I started C25K in September 2015 and I ran a 50 km run 2 months ago. Running is awesome.
  • MaxT370
    MaxT370 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I love running, can't really tell you why though!

Get fit for shoes, what suits my feet and gait is not necessarily any good for you

I don't run with music, I like to know what's going on around me.

Results? I get very very rungry!! And I went from non runner to half marathoner in under 2 years.

This might sound like a silly question but where did you get fitted for shoes? Just at a store?
  • MaxT370
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    MaxT370 wrote: »

When is your event?

What sort of feet do you have?

C25K is an excellent program. Do 3 workouts a week as it suggests.

Results? I started C25K in September 2015 and I ran a 50 km run 2 months ago. Running is awesome.

The event is November 18th. As for my feet, I don't really know how to answer that. They're not flat and wide. I think the arch is normal. Although I think I put a lot of pressure on my heels.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you get fitted at a local running store. they will look at your stride and gate and foot anatomy and find a good fit.

c25k is good, or the bridge to 10k.
  • MaxT370
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    you get fitted at a local running store. they will look at your stride and gate and foot anatomy and find a good fit.

c25k is good, or the bridge to 10k.

Awesome, thank you.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    My advice is to go slow. Very slow. I know many folks who 'hate' running because they get winded. That should not happen unless you are running a very hard and very short race. Make sure you can sing as you run (or at least talk).

Agree with the shoes. Go to a real running store like Fleet Feet or similar. Sporting goods stores and department stores do not have the expertise to fit you properly.

Good luck.
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm a verrrrry slow runner and built up to doing 10k starting from using a similar plan to c25k, once i could do the 5k i was doing parkrun (erm, slowly!) I just kept adding on a little extra time at each run until i could do long enough to achieve 10k. In future I'm just going to use the same method to increase to longer distances at a steady pace. Some people are focused on increasing speed but I really wasnt fussed about that, i just wanted to finish the 10k!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Work on becoming consistent in your running. Three to four days a week will allow you to improve. Less than three and you won't make much progress. Don't try to increase your miles too quickly. Start with 30 minutes 3 times a week, then slowly increase when you can run 30 minutes comfortably. When you get to that point, add 5 minutes to one of your runs. A week later, add another 5 minutes.

When is your 15k?

Re: Results - I started with C25k, then started training for a half marathon. Got injured because I did too much too soon. Started over. Got injured again. Started over. Finally got it together my 3rd year of running. Started doing short races and then half marathons. A year later ran my first marathon. Loved it. A couple of years later I qualified to run Boston. Last April, I ran the Boston Marathon and got a 10 minute PR. My weight is down. Health is good. Depression is mostly under control. I've met a lot of good people who also run. I enjoy the challenge of training hard for races and then doing well - most of the time anyway. It's nice to get rewarded for all my hard work.