Confused by KETO macros

Options
I was under the impression that I can eat a salad on KETO diet. I have 20 carbs/ 10 protein/ 70 fat. After entering the food into MFP my carbs are 37 percent. I’m so confused

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Salad itself doesn't have a whole lot of carbs. You may want to avoid root veggies because they have more carbs than other veggies. You can put fattening dressing on but watch out for sugars in the bottled ones.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Are you saying your salad had 20 carbs?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    SOOZIE429 wrote: »
    Are you saying your salad had 20 carbs?

It has 20g of carbs, which is 37% of everything OP has eaten and logged so far today.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    As TavistockToad mentioned, the pie chart just shows the macro percentage distribution of what you've eating so far today. You can use the pie chart to see the big picture at the end of the day or to see if you might be falling behind on a macro so that you know to eat more of that macro with the next meal to help get the percentage closer to the distribution that you want.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    As TavistockToad mentioned, the pie chart just shows the macro percentage distribution of what you've eating so far today. You can use the pie chart to see the big picture at the end of the day or to see if you might be falling behind on a macro so you want to eat more of that macro with the next meal.

In addition to this, MFP uses total carbs, not net carbs. If you are keeping net carbs low, the pie chart will be skewed.
  • brownizblu
    brownizblu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for all the help with my problem. Makes a lot more sense now. I was panicking that I did it all wrong. I am having a hard time getting enough fat. Suggestions???
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Lots of good information, suggestions here on how to do low carb and keto:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

recipes, success stories, and research available here, too.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Fats: Macadamias, cheese, avocado, mayonnaise, bacon, dark chocolate, cream cheese, cook with butter and oil, leave chicken skin on, eat meat fat,
    :-)
  • rsclause
    Options
    brownizblu wrote: »
    Ok thanks for all the help with my problem. Makes a lot more sense now. I was panicking that I did it all wrong. I am having a hard time getting enough fat. Suggestions???

There is a good youtube on fat by fitteru https://youtube.com/watch?v=oQAyuPjFXF4&t=14s
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options

May I ask what was on/in your salad? Will make it easier to give you come good suggestions/swaps.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Typically on Keto you would want to keep your net carbs between 20-30g a day. Which is total carbs minus the fiber. For example, if you had 35g total carbs, you’ll mostly likely be under that by way of net carbs. You might have like 5-10g of fiber, do you subtract that from the total. And your total net carbs for the day would be 25-30g. Keep track of the grams, which reflect your % ratio for macros.
  • rsclause
    Options
    I wish my wine carbs didn't count.
  • eJane13
    eJane13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you are using the app when you look at your diary at the bottom hit the nutrition button. You'll see the pie graph under the macros tab, next to that under the nutrients tab it will break it down in an easier to read way :) It'll show you the total for your carb goal, how much you have left and your goal
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Unless you're trying to gain weight, "getting enough fat" isn't the goal of a ketogenic diet. Limiting or restricting carbs is the entire process of ketosis.