Periods and weight loss

Options
Hi, so some background first. I'm 19, 5"3 and currently weigh 147lbs. Between January 2018 and May 2018 I was counting calories at 1,200. I've lost 3.6lbs since I restarted counting calories in July with a daily goal of 1,500. My maintence calories are 1,700.

At the beginning of the year when I was in my calorie defecit I noticed my periods were becoming irregular and sometimes stop/starting or being late. At the time I thought it was due to uni stress, but about a month ago (July 2018) I restarted my weight loss. I'm now eating 1,500 calories and the last couple of periods have had more cramps and either been later and/or shorter than usual.

For those of you with periods – is this normal, or is there anything I can do around when my period is due to stop them being such an issue? (for example, eating more protein/drinking more water/consuming more vitamins or returning to maintenance calories?) I don't have any issues when I'm not in a deficit which is making me think it's directly related to my weight loss.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    See your doctor.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Are you following a very low carb diet? I had some very heavy, weird and then skipped periods my first few months on keto and believe that’s a pretty common side effect. But also think checking with the doctor is always a good idea when you have a sudden change.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Definitely see your dr.

No this is NOT normal.

Besides the period are you noticing any other problems throughout the month or is everything happening in the period week

Are you on birth control?

Perhaps the stress of counting calories is making your periods wacky, the stress of college alone made mine so irregular that I went on BC. Even on semesters that I was less stressed, my body couldn't regulate, meaning even if you feel less stressed it still might be affecting your body.

Bottom line see dr
  • stacimarie1015
    stacimarie1015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Periods can change when your activity levels change, but the end result will vary from one person to the next. Me? My cycle starts every 23 days when I'm regularly active (every 27-28 when I am NOT active on a regular basis) and my side effects like cramps are milder when active.

Seeing a doctor is likely your best alternative.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    This is not normal. I would recommend speaking with your Gynecologist. Irregular periods can be the first sign of PCOS.
  • elainemariebenes
    elainemariebenes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    mine get shorter and closer together (26 days instead of 28-29) when i am more active and cramps are almost nonexistent. changes are normal for me based on my activity level but if you’re nervous see your doctor.
  • stacimarie1015
    stacimarie1015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The shorter cycles are annoying. But I guess the other benefits to being active, healthy make up for having 15 periods a year.
    mine get shorter and closer together (26 days instead of 28-29) when i am more active and cramps are almost nonexistent. changes are normal for me based on my activity level but if you’re nervous see your doctor.