I’m new and need some pointers 🤦‍♀️

Options
First off I’m trying to diet but after a few days I see myself failing... miserably. I consume too much carbs and sugars. I’m in nursing school so lack of movement is a huge problem as well. I can’t break myself from sweet tea or Moutain Dew. I can’t find that replacement that gives me the same satisfaction along with I love pasta and breads that’s my down fall. I’m trying hard to find something that is actually good to eat as well as satisfying. I’ve researched meal prep and recipes and nothing seems appealing. Someone please help me with meal prep ideas, foods to replace, and support cause I need it!

Replies

• Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Welcome 😊 just start by tracking what you do eat and take it from there. It will snowball before you know it.

You can still have pasta, bread and Mountain Dew if you want, just aim in time to keep it within your calorie allowance. Does Mountain Dew have a low calorie version?

Btw, I love sweet tea, too! I was adding 3 teaspoons to every cup! I started reducing it by half a teaspoon at a time, and now I’m down to 1 and a half. And sometimes, if I’m not craving sugar, I have none, my goal being to have none all the time, eventually.

Weigh your foods with a scale, it’ll help load with accuracy. If you want, you could also try zoodles, which is zucchini cut into noodle shapes. It’s surprisingly delicious!

Don’t be hard on yourself, either; just do whatever you can manage and build o that over time.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    As they say - if you say you can’t - you’re right!
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sound alike there are lots of changes you would like to make to your diet. I’d pick one or two a week and work on that

Swap the Mountain Dew for a diet soft drink

I eat pasta most weeks, now I have less pasta and more veggies/lean meet. I’m surprised at how small a serve of pasta fills me and hits the spot in terms of cravings now I’ve beefed my recipes up with lower calorie fillers

I found a recipe for a creamy pasta that I like. I use 35-40g spiral pasta, 120g chicken breast, mushrooms, onion and lots of broccoli, 1/2 cup skim milk, tsp flour and chicken Stock cube, garlic. Cook pasta as per packet. Brown chicken, add mushrooms, onion and garlic cook for a bit, add broccoli florets. Mix milk flour and stock cube/powder in a jug. Add to pan with other ingredients at the end of cooking and stir until it thickens. Toss pasta through and add Parmesan if you like. I don’t use oil as I have a good non stick pan.

Make room for foods you enjoy, I save 100-200 calories most days so I can eat chocolate after dinner.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Crystal light packets in water. I recommend the raspberry lemonade. May give you the citrusy flavor you crave for 5 calories.
  • stfpa
    stfpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I’m in nursing school too, I know it’s hard to get in exercise when you’re either in class or studying 24/7 but it’s possible. If you really don’t have the time, just know you can still lose weight without exercise!

You keep saying you can’t do this and you can’t do that and I think that’s the biggest problem. Of course you can’t do anything until you believe that you can. You can still have everything you like, just in smaller portions and maybe not everyday but honestly, sometimes you just need to make some sacrifices. I love pasta too, and I could eat a small portion everyday but I know it wouldn’t be nearly as filling as a plate full of vegetables, I would be hungry again sooner and I wouldn’t have enough calories left over to have ice cream every afternoon lol. Unfortunately losing weight isn’t always easy but once you get into the rhythm of things, it’s really not that bad at all!
  • monkeystikx
    monkeystikx Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people have,already given some good tips. Following a diet isn't easy. You can not assume to have all the same foods and portions and lifestyle as before. It seems to me like you are giving yourself excuses to fail. Pleny of people work busy schedules, have plenty to do and still find time to exercise, plenty of people love pasta and bread and ice cream and are able to find alternatives or limit the intake.
    Instead of assuming you are going to fail, why don't you put yourself in a positive mental attitude and believe you can do it. You will be surprised how fast the cravings for sugar go away after a few days.

Good luck
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I love pasta and eat it often. I still lost 117 pounds. I found some pastas I enjoyed with higher nutritional value including carbs-nada egg noodles and muscle mac mac&cheese. Today I made a box of muscle mac, added two servings of black beans, 4 servings of tuna, and two servings of spinach. I should get about 4 meals out of it, plus lots of protein, fiber, and other old stuff.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Instead of eliminating everything at once, just make a substitution one thing at a time. Start ordering your tea unsweet and then add sugar substitute. Or trade Mountain Dew for coffee or tea to get that kick. Try just trimming back your portions just a bit and make it more healthy with additions of tomatoes, beans, lower fat cheeses. Also try whole wheat or whole grain pasta - yes, it looks different, but I don't think it tastes different. As a nurse, you know that at some point, you will have to choose healthy choices over just what you want in any quantity you want. One thing I have done successfully is to load my plate to the amount I want, and then I slide off half of each thing for later. Try to think positively and envision your success. Be proud of yourself when you make a healthy choice, but don't get down on yourself if you have a bad day. And from a medical viewpoint, think that by losing weight, you will be avoiding diabetes, heart disease, HBP, bad cholesterol. These thing don't just happen to old people. And learn to manage your stress, because it can be a loaded pistol for over eating. I have a lot of friends that are nurses - you need to get healthy now, because when you get out on the floor, you will be so busy that you won't always have time for meals and it will be easy to fill up on empty calories. Change now.

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Using a sweetener like stevia in your sweet tea or drinking diet Mountain Dew will be difficult at first because the taste won't be the same as what you're used to, but if you give it time you'll get used to it. Switch to whole grain high fiber breads - I like Thomas' Light English Muffins because there's only 100 calories in one of them, and 8 grams of fiber. Same with Brownberry Sandwich Thins: 100 calories and 5 grams of fiber. For pasta, you can switch to whole grain and reduce portion sizes. Fiber helps with your feeling of satisfaction and is good for your gut.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta almost every day. I typically get whole grain pastas and do a 2oz serving size. I have it with 5oz grilled chicken or make turkey meatballs. (Which are a great meal prep option because you can make a ton at once and just grab them during the week.) Add in my veggies. I like no added sugar or no added sodium marinara sauces. Got my carb, protein, and veggies and satisfying as a meal.